Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Default 5000+ Onboard Is Not The Problem !!!

In thinking about the Oasis of the Seas, I'm wondering how the departure port is going to handle the traffic congestion, the curbside check in of baggage, and guest check in ..guess that's why they added the 12/1-12/5 shake down cruise to see if there plan will work for the real deal starting on 12/5

is the OAS a replacement ship or additional ship ?
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Default 5000+ Aboard is not the Problem

I remember arriving at the airport in Fort Lauderdale for a flight back to CA after a CM cruise two years ago. That airport could not handle the traffic from much smaller ships all arriving at the same time. What will they do about several mega-sized ships arriving at the same time? How will other airports handle them?

Judy
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Admiral

My question is how long will it take U.S. Customs tp step up to the plate with such large numbers. Debarkation may be a mess. Hmmmmm????
Old July 28th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Admiral

I think it would be a good idea stay 1 day longer after the cruise!!
Old July 28th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Admiral

I understood they built new facilities in Lauderdale to handle that size ship. The thing is, as Chuck has pointed out. will the Immigration personnel be sufficient to handle the increased size.

Todd
Old July 28th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Admiral

I'm going to wait a while before taking a chance on cruising with that many people. My last cruise on Mariner of the Seas was a joke as far as handling the crowd goes, so I can't imagine adding another 1500 souls and doing a good job of crowd control. I personally prefer the smaller RCI ships, and the 110 ton and under Carnival and Celebrity ships.

Ken
"SKY"
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Captain

My fear is that it won't just be the departure port but all ports and the logistics that go into the disembarking will be nightmarish.

On my recent cruise we had people in the customs line that hadn't filled out their customs forms yet (though they had them since the night before) and couldn't find their passports. This was even while staff were constantly announcing to have these items ready before you reach the customs officers.

I can't wait to hear the first reviews of the "O".
I am hoping for good news but suspect there'll be more bad than good.

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Admiral

While were talking about all the things that might happen and, have happened numerous times on other cruises, what about the inevitable passengers that you hear paged over and over and over to report to immigration ? Usually on every cruise there's one or two that hold up everyone and everything. Imagine what it could be like on the Oasis on the final morning when they are paging half a dozen who have decided to sleep in and not report to immigration as directed !!
I truly hope everything runs as smooth as silk from the first cruise of the Oasis but my observation of people and the way some ignore the rules, etc. tells me that if I ever do sail the Oasis, I'll plan on staying over an extra day after the cruise so I won't be stressed out over missing a flight, being trampled asunder in the baggage area, etc.
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have said for a while now, that weekends in Lauderdale will be very tough, once both RCI's megaships port. They dredged the port to accomodate the biggies, but, the airport will be tough, with mega crowds.

Realize too, that, the "extra" people will make a big drain on taxis, hotels, and restaurants. If people decide to precruise, all these services will be impactedas well...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 28th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Admiral

Default 5000+ People is not the Problem

If I ever cruise from FLL again, I will be sure to stay an extra day to help me get out of there!

Judy
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Admiral

I had just about stopped cruising out of Miami due to the parking fiasco, and moved more toward Ft. Lauderdale, but in view of the above posts, I think I'll give a lot more thought to sailing only out of Miami, Tampa, and Port Canaveral.

Ken
"SKYMASTER"
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Ken, I tend to agree with you. Tampa is great for us as we can easily take a taxi or shuttle to the port. No parking or traffic hassles. I think battling the crowds for those ships would be daunting.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain