Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 28th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Admiral

Default Are We Ready For Sunday NFL Football

I for one am..go Saints...and I am glad to hear that Reggie Bush broke up with Kim "what's her name", so maybe now he can focus on playing and he will miss not having Duece McAllister in the backfield with him

my wildcard season prediction..TO will actually play well for the Buffalo Bills until the first home game with a snowstorm, then he will disappear for the rest of the season

who knows the Oasis of the Seas is so big, maybe the NFL will schedule a preseason game onboard next season
Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I AM SO READY!!!!!

I have waited all summer for it to begin.

I didn't know that Kim and Reggie broke up.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 28th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Woo Hoo I'm ready for some football. I heard a rumor the Saints were going to pick up Michael Vick so hide your dogs.

Here is hoping the Raiders or 49ers can do something besides lose this year. When is the first game of the season? I need to start the 3rd annual football pool on the jokes board.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 28th, 2009, 02:39 PM
First Mate

..now if the Giants can find a replacement for Two Gun Burress, Super Bowl here we come again......

....I have been waiting since the end of this last Super Bowl....keep baseball and the silly NASCAR stuff.....I don't recognize the NBA at al ...golf is not for me in any way....

......America's sport is NFL football with out a doubt......and this from a guy living in Connecticut with the best woman's BB team ever, and a pretty good mens one as well....

Go Big Blue !!!!!!!!!!!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 28th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Admiral

I wonder if Ben Roethlisberger is suspended? She didn't file criminal charges, just civil so may be not. Then of course we have the genius who shot himself in the leg. Plaxico Burress from the Giants. Will he be suspened? I heard a rumor he may go to jail. That sounds a bit extreme he didn't try to harm anyone. He just did a dumb thing. Who has done that. Is Brett Favre finally going to retire for good? The dude is old by football standards.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 28th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Can't wait for football season!!!! GO BEARS!!!!! 8)
Old July 28th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Sid,

Your arrow concerning NASCAR pierced my heart. But then again I understand many northeasterners aren't interested because, after all, it is a southern sport.

Todd
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:23 PM
First Mate

Todd,

Please do not take it personally. I do like barbecue and grits, so perhaps it evens out......

When you were up in this neck of the woods, were you a stock car fan? Where I grew up (in the Mohawk Valley), there was a dirt track in a little burg called Fonda. It was called the Fonda Speedway. Drew pretty much a full house every Saturday during the season. They also had drag races there. I went a couple of times, but just could not get interested in either one. Hence the NASCAR remark.

But I digress....when you were up here you were of course a Giants fan, right? I just can't imagine a man of your refined tastes and intelligence being a Jets fan. Now that you are there have you shifted your alliance to the Titans?

It's funny, as big a fan of the sport as I am, I have only been to one game, and that was in Cincinnati back in the '80's. The Bungles versus Buffalo. Nowadays I find I have no desire to be there in person. Too many creature comforts here at the ol' casa.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Sid,

I got into Nascar when Bristol was built in '61. Now they've raised the banking on the track to such an extent if you're on the apron of the track itself, it's like looking up a wall. That is why it's the most exciting and most popular race track on the entire circuit albeit it is only a half mile track on which they cram 43 cars. When asked what it was like to drive at Bristol, one guy about ten years ago remarked it was like "flying fighter jets in a gymnasium.

When I was in New York there was a "local" track over at Middletown but I never did get there.

Yeah, I was a Giant's fan when I lived in New York but truth be told, my "Real Team" was John Unitas, Henry "Big Daddy" Lipscomb and the Baltimore Colts back in the days when Big Sam Huff played for New York. That Sid was football!

I can't get into it today because of the astronomical salaries and half the players whining all the time because either they didn't get enough attention the week before or they're not paid what they believe they're worth. College football is more "truthful" to me.

As has been pointed out, you also don't have the salary whining in Nascar. You want more money? No problem. Just get out there and race for it!

But even with Nascar Sid, they're all treated like rock stars today. When I was a teenager we could back then literally hang out in the pits with guys by the name of Glenn "FIreball" Roberts, The only Yankee I remember who was from Elmhurst Illinois and who drove the "Elmhurst Road Express," a ford set up by Holman-Moody, Fred Lorensen,; Robert Glenn "Junior" Johnson, a sometimes "Ex" moonshine hauler who rolled out of North Wilksboro, NC, Curtis Turner, Joe Weatherly and the incomparable Wendell Scott who was the first Black in the sport and who had an unbelievable following for a Black guy in the South. These are the guys, many of whom would get all fired up on Saturday night, wake up in the morning, take a slug out of the bourbon bottle, grope their way to the track with a hangover, and then get into a race car and drive five hundred miles with an in car temperature in excess of 140 degrees.

They (and their NFL contemporaries) were ten times tougher and could undoubtedly eat the lunch of over ninety percent of today's NFL players.

Todd
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Yes, I'm ready for some football!!! I also enjoy NASCAR, golf, basketball, baseball. I also enjoy the fast paced action of a good hockey game.
BTW this is the first that I've heard of the break up of
"Bush and Tush"
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Admiral

yea Bush and the "big b*&^ tt girl have stated it was due to conflicting schedules..I saw them at the NBA AllStar game here 2 years ago and don't see what all the uproar was about

Todd..I've been to the track in Middleton on a saturday night to watch races, but I really enjoyed going to Lime Rock Park in CT and watch Paul Newman race

I doubt highly if Coach Payton would take Vick..more then likely it would be the Oakland Raiders..Drew B. is THE Man in New Orleans ..however, when Vick was at Virginia Tech and they played in the Sugar Bowl, even thou they lost, he put on some show...I think if he listens to Coach Tony Dungee and stays away from all his homeboys, he might have a second chapter to his story
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Admiral

No Fun League?? No way......

College Football all the way baby!!

Go Irish!!

(On a more serious note -- of course Michael Vick will play in the NFL again. He's a good QB -- and it's all about the $$, not ethics)

Old July 28th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Dean

Go Irish!!

(On a more serious note -- of course Michael Vick will play in the NFL again. He's a good QB -- and it's all about the $$, not ethics)
Ah who wants to watch College Football I like playoffs and College football only has the bowl system. No playoffs.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 29th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Admiral

I think Vick should play on the pro team called the bulldogs, or the puppies. Oops None are named that.

I guess he will have to do something else.

Our local football team is called the bull dawgs. I hear they need a new water boy.

For those of you who are new, I am a die hard Falcons fan. Have sat in the stands when it was packed, and when there was nobody within hollering distance. I have seen Vick play, and he was sooo good. I was so proud of what he was able to do against the Saints, but ....

Check out the profiles of your average Serial killer. They started out killing animals too.

I do not wish to see him on the field, and I hope one day that the NFL will raise the standards to play a little better.

You guys were talking about Nascar. It's funny, you don't hear about them going to jail, or beating their wives, or taking guns into a night club.

I wonder why?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 29th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Admiral

Luanne..now you have put the heck on them...I predict within one week we will read about an incident..watch

if you look at the Baseball Hall of Fame , you will see some very rotten characters have been inducted (much worse then Vick)...Vick will play again because he has too much natural ability and some team will take him despite his negative baggage and if he produces and takes them to the Super Bowl, all will be forgiven, plus they will get him cheap...Professional sports is not the arena for taking the high moral road, sad to say, which is why one never raises their son to look up to professional athletes as role models
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Admiral

Do you know how many talented players there are, that have what it takes, but looses out because there are just so many spots.

Raise the bar, let only the moral players in, and then young people can look up once again to their heroes.

Before someone reads this and wonders if it has something to do with race, it does not. I am lucky enough not to see race.

I have two former students. One is Charles Peanut Tillman who plays for the Chicago Bears, the other is Robert Griffin, who started as quarterback for Baylor last year as a freshman.

Will Robert get a spot in the NFL, or will somebody have hired a less than honorable player, and he misses out.

You know we sit around and ring our hands and talk about the loss of morality these days, but if we started demanding it, it might be a better place. If Micheal Vick gets a spot, we have taken two steps backwards.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 29th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Admiral

Yes, Yes, a thousand times Yes! Go Pats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with Luanne - so much talent, not enough slots.

I personally am sick of reading about how so many of these players are always in trouble. Of course, I probably just have a low tolerance for people that lose their sense of purpose and don't live up to their potential.
It just goes to show that money is not the answer to life's problems. They have the opportunity to really live a full life, enjoy lot's of experiences, live well, and have nice things and make a difference to others as well. Yet some choose to make poor decisions, squander their money on drugs and criminal activity.
Oh, well, it is all beyond my control. Let's hope that this season is exciting.
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Cant wait... camp is open..preseason next month
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Admiral

How do you pick the "moral" players? Ben Roethlisberger is being sued for rape. Should he be ejected from football? The woman never filed a criminal complaint only a civil one. Who knows if he did it or she is just looking for a pay day. what if a player is a good guy, but he an atheist? Who decides what is moral? I agree that Mike Vick's actions were terrible. I own dogs and I can't picture putting them in danger. However, Kobe Bryant is still playing. Heck Mike Tyson bit off a piece someone's ear and still had a career.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
How do you pick the "moral" players? Ben Roethlisberger is being sued for rape. Should he be ejected from football? The woman never filed a criminal complaint only a civil one. Who knows if he did it or she is just looking for a pay day. what if a player is a good guy, but he an atheist? Who decides what is moral? I agree that Mike Vick's actions were terrible. I own dogs and I can't picture putting them in danger. However, Kobe Bryant is still playing. Heck Mike Tyson bit off a piece someone's ear and still had a career.
Ben as you say, has not been charged. Much different from Vick who spent time in jail.

One year it was so bad here in Texas, the head coach had to go to the city jail to get several players for that Sunday's game.

I'm not sure how atheist got into this. I didn't say get rid of them, because of religion.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 29th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Admiral

It's the word Moral that maybe me add atheist into this. Now if what your saying is that player covicted of a felony can longer play in the NFL. I agree with that. You have a standard that is easy to measure. It word Moral is not measurable standard. Something that can not be measured can not be enforced.

http://education.yahoo.com/reference...ry/entry/moral
Here is the definition of Moral:
ADJECTIVE:

1. Of or concerned with the judgment of the goodness or badness of human action and character: moral scrutiny; a moral quandary.

2. Teaching or exhibiting goodness or correctness of character and behavior: a moral lesson.

3. Conforming to standards of what is right or just in behavior; virtuous: a moral life.

4. Arising from conscience or the sense of right and wrong: a moral obligation.

5. Having psychological rather than physical or tangible effects: a moral victory; moral support.

6. Based on strong likelihood or firm conviction, rather than on the actual evidence: a moral certainty.

NOUN:

1. The lesson or principle contained in or taught by a fable, a story, or an event.

2. A concisely expressed precept or general truth; a maxim.

3. morals Rules or habits of conduct, especially of sexual conduct, with reference to standards of right and wrong: a person of loose morals; a decline in the public morals

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Hey Venice, i'm ready for college football also!!

Hope My Vols do well this year!!

Guess I have to win Kat's NFL Weekly Picks again
Old July 29th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Pocono Pug

Im so ready for this up coming season. Lets go Dolphins, they have the toughest schedule in football. Welcome back to the Fins J.T. (Jason Taylor) As far as college goes WE ARE......... PENN STATE!!!! Go LIONS

Monarch of the Seas 3-92
Celebrity Century 7-96
Dawn Princess 2-97
Enchantment of the Seas 11-98
Rhapsody of the Seas 8-99
CCL Inspiration 8-08, 8-11
CCL Valor 1-09
CCL Glory 11-09
Old July 29th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Will...my man !!!! I think LSU Tiger's will be kicking some serious SEC butt this year

young men in incredible physical shape, millions of dollars, adulation out the yang-yang, women throwing themselves at these athletes, no longer is the focus to use sports as a way of obtaining an education, college is just a stop on the way to the pros for the big $$$$$...and then you wonder why alot of these athletes are less then what we want them to be

the reason why you don't hear about the overwhelming majority of athletes who adhere to the norm, is that it doesn't make the news..most of them, I think prefer it that way...two of my favorite athletes are David Robinson (Spurs) &Chris Paul (Hornets) are outstanding men who happen to play sports but understand where so much has been given, so much is expected

My favorite Roger Staubach qoute (when asked about Joe Namath)... 8) I like having alot of *&^ also, I just like it with my wife 8)
Old July 29th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will
Hey Venice, i'm ready for college football also!!

Hope My Vols do well this year!!

Guess I have to win Kat's NFL Weekly Picks again
Again seems to imply you won it last year. You had two wins the season. Rinker and I Tied at 5 wins.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 29th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Ah who wants to watch College Football I like playoffs and College football only has the bowl system. No playoffs.
Sherry,

Go to the Jokes board and re-read the "10 Reasons College Football is Better" thread!!

But I'll make you a deal. If you play in the College Football pool, I'll play in the NFL pool!

Old July 29th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Quote:

Go Irish!!

I'm with you!
40 days til FSU opens at home v Miami.
Go Noles!
Angela Z.
Old July 30th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Sherry,

Go to the Jokes board and re-read the "10 Reasons College Football is Better" thread!!

But I'll make you a deal. If you play in the College Football pool, I'll play in the NFL pool!
Would I have to watch the games? I will play in your College Football Pool. So I expect to see you on the NFL one. When does the season start anyway?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Not much of a sports fan but I do get interested in keeping track of the Patriots. I am a New England Gal at heart.
As for Nascar, Northern ot Southern sport makes no difference to me. I just get dizzy watching cars go around in a circle.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 31st, 2009, 05:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Da Bears!!!!!!!!!
10-2004 Majesty Of The Seas- Bahamas
10-2006 Majesty Of The Seas- Bahamas
12-2006 Enchantment Of The Seas- Western Carib.
05-2008 Monarch Of The Seas- Baja Mexico
09-2009 NCL Sky- Bahamas
03-2010 Celebrity Century- Western Carib.
10-2010 Majesty Of The Seas- Bahamas
10-2010 Liberty Of The Seas- Coco Cay
11-2010 Freedom Of The Seas- Labadee, Haiti
11-2010 Monarch Of The Seas- Bahamas