Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Three sides to a story?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Yup sure sounds like it to me.

HOWEVER, let's talk a little about personal responsibility here. I don't care what tour operator I am with, before I ever leave a ship in port to go on an excursion or exploring, I am going to make sure I am on "ship time" and that I know when I need to be back on the ship. I am not likely to take a tour operator's word that I can dilly dally around at Atlantis beyond the time which I feel is safe to return to the ship without taking a chance on it leaving without me. The really stupid part of this whole story is that Atlantis is a very short cab ride from the port. These people should have used some common sense and took initiative to ensure they got back in time.

When I read stories about people missing the ship due to circumstance beyond their control, I am usually very sympathetic, but these folks are just a little too laid back and trusting if they are willing to take the word of a tour guide operator to the extent that they let the ship leave without them.

So word to the wise, take responsibility, know the time your ship leaves and if your tour operator isn't going to get you back on time, get yourself back on time. I am curious where these people stayed while they were waiting for the next Carnival ship to come in and who paid for those accommodations. The whole situation could have easily been avoided, had these people used a little common sense. As far as Carnival's liability, it sounds as though these people's shore excursion was cancelled due to the weather, it's hard to say if Carnival is responsible for more in the case or not since it is all based on what these people were told by a shore excursion staff person.... who was this person by the way. Did that person get on the ship on time or were they some tour operator or a bus driver or what? These folks are lucky they got on the next Carnival ship back to Florida. As bad as it was, it could have been much worse and more expensive.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Administrator
Admiral

This story is a complete falsehood. There is no way that if you take a sanctioned, blessed and anointed ship's excursion that you could ever miss the ship. The cruise line would never, never, never let this happen.

There is a third side to this story but I believe that the tour operator, Carnival and the guests all have some responsibility. My personal belief is that the tour operator has the greatest amount of blame for letting the tour get out of hand and not keeping the guests on time.

BW: The problem is that unlike most of us message board regulars and seasoned cruisers the common passenger doesn't have the cruise savvy that we have. As Otter said to Flounder in the classic movie "Animal House". "You (screwed) up. You trusted us."

Take care,
Mike (Who is not a fan of ship's excursions)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Admiral

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I feel confused like details are missing. But I feel that way with a lot of those stories.

Carnival said the families missed the bus back to the ship. But the article says, "When the shore excursion bus pulled up to the dock though, the family says the Glory was gone." If I were on the tour and I saw the bus still waiting, then the tour guide told me everything was fine and the ship would wait. I guess I would believe them.

However, Carnival got the families on another ship, got them T-shirts and toiletries. All they had to do was rent a car to get from Miami to Port Canaveral. According to mapquest it's about 210 miles and 3 hours away.

Okay other things I find confusing in the story it starts, "Instead a Stuart family vacation has turned into the cruise they wish they could forget." Then quotes Amy Yeater and her fiancee Scott Wierzbinski. Are they part of the Stuart family? what about this sentence, "Two families, another from Massachusetts, had been left in the Bahamas." How does the family from Massachusetts feel about how Carnival held things?

Finally this quote makes me think Amy Yeater is looking for a pay day. "I had a room with a balcony I didn't get to use that day." says Yeater. "I had a nice dinner in a dining room I didn't get to have that evening."

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

This story sounded very fishy - and typical of Florida TV reporting they left it sounding like it was the cruise line's fault.

I contacted Carnival and the same spokesperson - Jen de l Cruz told me that what it WAS a Carnival excursion but that these people had wandered away from where they were supposed to meet the bus back to the ship and did not tell anyone where they were going.

The tour operator had to go looking all over Atlantis (the size of a Las Vegas Hotel) for them.

The ship was scheduled to leave at 4:00 pm (I don't know if they waited a little while or not but it doesn't matter) but the missing passengers did not arrive back at the pier until 4:40.

The myth that the ship won't leave without you obviously doesn't include "if you wander away from the tour and decide to spend and extra 40 minutes in port".

Carnival got them back to Florida and paid for their excursion - which if it was a swim with the dolphins or even just a day pass to Atlantis more than paid for the rental car back to Port Everglades.

SO typical for people to use the media to make the cruise lines out to ne the bad guys by giving them half the story.

Once again - personal responsibility. What do you have to do, put tracking devices on people? Puleeeze, it actually IS one of the options one group of advocates wants cruise lines to start doing.
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Thanks Paul, for the bottom line....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 18th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Admiral

I noticed the other family from Massachusetts didn't jump on the media for a free lunch. Amy Yeater was trying to get something for nothing. Paul thanks for clearing up by confusion. I knew something was odd.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994