Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:39 AM
Admiral

Default Sunday has arrived

It is Sunday, all be it very early. I am having much trouble to sleep.

It was a busy week. Alot of doctors appointments, work, organizing and abit of stress and worry mixed in for good measure.

Yesterday was cooking and cleaning as today , in just a few hours I am having a brunch at my home with several people. That I am actually looking forward to despite the work as some times I get tired of being a caregiver. Please dont think bad of me for saying so, but its been 24-7 for over a year now and while I had the week away, its been alot. I did not even invite my mother or my sister, I feel guilty for that, I know they would probably decline as my mother gets to tired and my sister doesnt do as well in larger groups, but I felt bad just wanting to get away from them, when they are in need through no fault of their own.

Maybe after a day of other faces and so on I will be better able to deal with things.

Weather has been odd, we were to get rain today but it stayed away. The humidity did not.

Have a great Sunday every one.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:59 AM
Admiral

Good morning Delft, and others to follow.

I know how stressfull caregiving is, since my mom has dementia. It's sad to see her memory getting worse and knowing that in time she won't even recognize any of us. But with God's help we will hang in there.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011+4/4/2016
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old August 23rd, 2009, 08:03 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Delft, Manuel and the rest of my fellow Cruisemates and all the ships at sea.

You certainly have more than your plate full Delft and you are to be commended for consistently going, "over and beyond." No one that I can think of could decry your little, "break."

While my father did not have, "end of life issues' (he died suddenly at the age of 47) and my mother was only briefly incapacitated prior to her death, probably the overwhelming number of seniors become care givers as we advance in years until either one dies or both end up requiring care givers. As we live longer it's a troubling issue and one for which we all should probably give not only some serious thought but some planning as well, or at least as much as possible. At any rate it at best can be a difficult issue and at worse, a heart wrenching, not to mention exhausting one.

It's certainly shaping up to be a glorious Sunday indeed here in upper East Tennessee....one of what they refer to as, "the ten best days of the year." It's currently 64 with and the high today is going to be a "perfect" 76 with low humidity and little chance of precipitation. Should be a day that the mountains shed their oft worn cape of haze and step forward in all their detailed brilliance. They certainly well earn their moniker, "The Smoky Mountains."

Fran was up before I this morning and is especially perky for which I'm so very thankful as yesterday she had absolutely no stamina. But as she pointed out, she has relatively few "bad days."

Hope everyone enjoys a magnificent Sunday regardless of the weather and that blessings abound upon you all.

Todd
Old August 23rd, 2009, 08:33 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
Hope all is well with you this cloudy cold 60 degree morning... did we even have summer yet?

D/H is making Oma pancakes (crepes) and sausages for breakfast. I think I will cut up some peaches and cherries and make a filling with some cream cheese with maybe a touch of amaretto. mmmmmm

Things are quiet and we have nothing planned today. I am toying with the thought of taking down the pool, but part of me is holding out hope that perhaps things will warm up again and we might get in there again. My hope is that once d/s is back on his feet again he might get to enjoy it some more. But waking up to 60 degree weather today doesn't bode well.

We have a busy week ahead. Lots of things going on, and stuff to look forward to. So I am ready! Bring it on!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:19 AM
Admiral

Morning All, from Montreal, where it is still hot 'n humid and even sunny at the moment, despite the forecast for rain...
Yesterday I stayed indoors most of the day trying to escape the extreme humidity. First we had no summer, then we have too much summer, just no happy medium!

Delft, don't you feel guilty for taking some time for yourself to be with your friends. Nobody, except maybe VTJen, does more for other people than you do, and you deserve a break like anybody else!
Hope you enjoy a nice brunch today....

Yesterday my daughter called all upset because her best friend was in hospital with sudden strange symptoms (numbness in the lower left side of her face). After running several tests the doctors told her that she has MS - at 25 years of age! Considering that at first they thought she had a brain tumour, the diagnosis of MS is a slightly better odd, but still, my daughter and all her friends are devasted for their girlfriend.
Talk about a wake up call - you just never know in life, do you?

Well, my plans for the day are as yet unknown...more packing I suppose, cleaning as usual, and who knows, maybe a visit or just take it easy.
Hope everyone has as relaxing a Sunday as that!

donna

p.s. Todd, you forgot to inform us of your Sunday Dinner menu! You always succeed in making me drool!
Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:29 AM
Admiral

Well, good Sunday morning all!!!!! Going to the Jimmy Buffet concert at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City tonight! Breaking out my straw hat and loudest Hawaiian shirt.

Work is going to be a bit hectic this week as all my project officers are crawling out from under their rocks and demanding immediate attention to things they have ignored all summer.

Hope everyone has a great week!

Humpback Whale Diving, Stellwagen Bank off Cape Cod

Crown Princess March 2017
Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Long Island beaches remain closed due to high seas again today. Cloudy and humid with thunderstorms predicted. Our day of boating with our friends might turn to a day of sitting at the dock waiting for the bad weather to arrive.

Was talking to a friend the other day, and she told me that her son, who lives in Chicago, is a member of the Second City Comedy Group and has signed a contract with NCL to perform on one of their ships currently in Europe. It will be his second tour with NCL and he really loves his job. It's nice to be able to cruise and get paid for it. What a great opportunity.

Have a great Sunday and all those experiencing cooler and dryer weather, please send some of it here to the Northeast. Tired of having bad hair days.

Leyla from Long Island
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning from a ....... okay, all together, say, HOT Texas.

I am so proud of myself. In the last couple of days I have done more, than in the last 7 months.

It feels good to be back to "normal"

Delf, You must take some time for yourself, and must not feel guilty about it.

Donna, When;s the big move?

I hope all of you have a good Sunday.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:49 AM
Admiral

good morning from new orleans..Luanne, glad to see you are getting back into a routine..when you are done cleaning your house you can come do mine, to help you burn off excess energy

great sermon in church this morning about David and Goliath..it was so good, I acutally stayed awake 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

have a great day to everyone
Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Default Sunday Has Arrived

Sunday is, indeed, here, and a bright summy one in Southern California. The citizens here are whining about high humidity.

Delft, I hope you have a nice time with your friends.
Manuel, my mother has dementia, too, from strokes. They are terrible things.

No big plans . . . maybe a trip to Orange County later on . . . right now, a cup of coffee would be good, along with a look at the Sunday paper.

Judy
Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Good afternoon from, in the 80's, Virginia Beach. It rained like crazy, late yesterday afternoon. I suppose it is the residue from hurricane, Bill. Rob and I ate at the Texas Steakhouse, which is close to our house. (they had a coupon for a free salad and if you are active or retired military, you get 10% off the entire food bill). Delft, it is wear and tear being a caregiver 24/7. You might check to see if there are any support groups in your area. I was never put in that position since my mother died from multiple sclerosis at the age of 56 and my dad, had remarried nine years after she had died. His second wife wisely hired part-time caregivers until my father spent the last two months of his life in a nursing home. Life and good health is such a precious commodity that we should appreciate. Make it a great day, fellow cruisemates!
Old August 23rd, 2009, 02:44 PM
Admiral

So sorry R/D about the menu (which by the way is almost ready) but the meat course is again this week pork (for a reason).

I love roast pork. Last week a friend came over for dinner so I had a pork sirloin roast which has very little fat. While we had gravy it was as dry as a bone.

This week I wanted my style; heart clogging cholesterol filled juicy pork roast with an exterior layer of fat. toward that end, I procured a half shoulder pork roast with a slab of fat on the exterior and some pretty good marbling within. I also knew it would generate plenty of drippings for gravy. I dredged the thing in flour, salt and pepper and in the oven she went. It looks and smells heavenly and boy, what a crust!

Supper will commence with a tossed salad with homemade balsamic vinaigrette dressing and accompanying the roast will be Fran's home made eggplant, broccoli with a cheddar cheese sauce and hot rolls. Dessert will be fresh from the oven apple turnovers dressed with French Vanilla Ice cream.

Hope everyone of you has a wonderful Sunday din-din as well.

Todd
Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:32 PM
Admiral

Todd..enjoy, you only go around once and if you live long enough anything you like will not be good for your health