Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 27th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Admiral

Default Thurday's here and week's end is on the horizon!

Ah, another Thursday dawns and that mean only another day to TGIF!

The weather here in East Tennessee has been rather warm of late with temps around this part in the upper 80's. At the house yesterday it was ninety and today's forecast is more of the same.

Gotta' take a run up to Johnson City tomorrow and get zapped or as I say, "the paddles put to me." I had originally asked when they did the procedure if they used my own Implanted Cardioverter Defibrillator or (ICD) and they said no because it would just reduce the life of its battery. The battery isn't replaced, the entire unit is and at 89 grand just for that little bitty device , I guess they want to make it last as long as possible! Duhh.....common sense should have told me that but as Fran says, that is but only one of the many qualities I lack!

The procedure is nothing except it's a PIA if only because they'll keep me for eight to ten hours to insure everything is alright following the procedure; not to mention I don't think it will rid me of my atrial fib anyway. The chances of any really serious adverse reaction (as in not waking back up) is minimal, but it you don't hear from me Saturday...........

Donna....c'mon now....ROLLERSKATING??!!! Geesh, is everybody's going through a second childhood routine? Of course I confess I'd love to go ice skating again but if I even thought about trying that, I'd be crippled for life!! Go for it and have a blast but avoid the cast! (I'm a poet and don't know it but only because my feet are "Longfellows")

What WONDERFUL news Judy! Now re-schedule that cruise!!!! Your friend's son is some kind of thinking person!! You know, I really do wonder if there is any significant part of California (other than the desert of course) that is traditionally immune from these annual and horrific fires?

I 'reckon today Beenie Weenie, it's your hubby's last day on "television." You know it will have gone to his head if he becomes insufferably demanding and wants to know why the contract offers haven't come flowing in.

Hope the recovery continues unabated, Mike.

Looks as if Fran is again hooked and we might be returning to her beloved Virginia Beach again next month, Balabusta. She also wants to return to Busch Gardens to which we haven't been since somewhere around '82. I did too until I learned the "Hospitality House" no longer existed! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Prayers continue along with Blessings for everyone!

Todd
Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Admiral

Good Morning where we are prmised a bright sunny non humid day. My favorite kind! I dont even mind if it is cool, as long as I see the sun.

Todd, we loved Busch gardens. It was a highlight of our trip.

Today is a treatment day for me, so later I will be like a drippy rag and just go to bed for a while. Yesterday was appointments for my mother and sister and dinner with a friend.

Have a great day every one.
Old August 27th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
Much cooler here today, with no humidity, I guess we are getting ready for Danny, on Saturday..better now, then Oct.1st when I fly...

Yesterday, I went to the Womans Apparel Show, so much to see and buy, it overwhelms you...like waling doen the cereal aisle..way tooo many choices.

I received some beautiful beads yesterday in the mail.... so I may bead my brains out

Tood and Delf, my thoughts are with you....

Make it a good one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 27th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates,
Well it won't be long and we'll be trekking off to Indy for d/s's doctor appt. Yeah!!! (I Hope!).

Made a few more excursion plans yesterday for the upcoming October cruise. Oh how I am looking forward to that! Our docs are ready to be printed. No upgrades, but I don't care, we have a beautiful Aft facing minisuite. Works for me and I got exactly want I chose!

Todd it is good to see you in your spunky "go get 'em" mood. I miss you when you're not around. So make sure that Fran keeps an eye on them while they do the procedure and they don't screw something up, OK? Seriously Todd, take care of yourself, because you are special to all of us around here. As for d/h's television career, it ended yesterday. But you know, it went remarkably well. The kids did great, he did very well and the students were happy. So yes I think there be more contracts in his future lol.

Hope Jen is OK, I am missing an update on her and her church situation.

Todd I don't know how long you want to go for, but last time I went to Va. Beach I found a killer deal on a condo on ebay. I rented it for a week from a time share owner for a song and it was nice! Just go to ebay search for virginia Beach under travel and you usually will find some good deals. I love it there too.

Hang in there Delft!

Trip enjoy those beads.

I'll be back later this evening with a full report on d/s's xray results and a full report.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 27th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Mates,
Bright, Sunny, Cool - probably we shall have a frost tonight, and I am not at all excited about that. Having only had about 2 weeks of summer, I am not liking these super cool evenings/mornings. Sorry Delft - I know you do appreciate them.

I guess I need to go backwards and read what's happened this week, I am sure I have missed lots.

It has been a week. I am exhausted and I don't even know how I'll even be able to get anything done. I am about ready to just spend my days in the fetal position and never get up again...

Two trips to Burlington - two hours each way, two days in a row.
Then in between dealing with just unbelievable stuff. The pastor is away, and as usual people go nutty. Spent almot 2 hours on phone after a long day on the road, with a woman, who comes very intermittenly to church, the rest of her family - well husband, grandsons and in-laws, come regularly. I saw her at the softball tourney our church was in on Sat. and had a long chat with her. She felt comfortable to call me on Tues. nite - I have known her a long, time. Well, she is a alcoholic. I basically just listened. She is in a lot of pain, and has caused a world of hurt in her household (she and her husband have adopted her daughters teenage sons - they have raised them from birth as their mom, this ladies daughter is in and out of prison continually). She was either drunk or high when she called, so I just listened, and said very little. She and the youngest grandson he is like 13 butt heads. He was not home when she called. She kept calling him evil. I tried to tell her he wasn't just hurting and in as much pain as she was, and being young, not in control of his emotions (how could he with the life he has had to deal with?). Well about an hour after I got off phone I hear the scanner calling the state police to this home - she and the kid got into some sort of thing - some one assulted someone, I am not sure who. State police had the dispatch call one of her friends to go pick her up to dry out at their house, which I am pretty sure was a really bad idea.
What a mess!
Then we are still having issues with our "visitor" - the man at church.
We have been so very, very diligent about keeping everything locked, except during service time, and then we are keeping certain doors locked and such. One door is now unlocked everytime we come in. Last night after bible study we found 8 windows unlocked and some open - which had all been locked and closed prior to this. So know I almost have to believe this man has a key, or is just really good at sneaking in and out.
I feel some trepidition and being alone in the building all day today.

Mike - continued healing.
Delft - praying for added strength!
Todd - you will most certainly be up and at - 'em after they "paddle you".
I've yet to visit Virginia Beach, but I do love Busch Gardens.
I would also love to visit Colonial Williamsburg.

I should write to more of you, and I will try later, but my meds are really making my brain foggy, so I think I better get some more coffee so I can actually drive to church, where I will lock myself in, and then hope and pray he doesn't have key.
I think that by the windows being unlocked and open in such magnitude it is his way of saying - I know that you are locking me out, and I want you to know I know. I just hope he is having a stable mind today, and tomorrow - where I will be alone at church, until the AA meeting at noon, where I will have to unlock several doors for a few hours - then I will have to do the walk thru alone to check all the doors/windows closest and hiding places and such.

I think I need a week alone on a beach or a ship.
Old August 27th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Jen, call the police. Deal with this. I know your pastor would tell you, that you shouldn't take any chances, you shouldn't be there alone. It isn't worth the risk. No one in their right mind would expect you to subject yourself to the danger of dealing with this issue alone. You have no idea what the voices in this fellow's head are telling him to do or how delusional he is.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 27th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Morning All, from a sunny but cooler Montreal.
We've gone from unbearably humid nights to single digit nights, but it is more comfortable for sleeping!
This morning it's only 12C or 53F. Hopefully it will warm up a little!

Todd, about the rollerskating....where do you think I got the username "rollerdonna"? Before I discovered computers and the internet, my #1 passion was rollerskating, and I was doing it at least once a week until just a few years ago when my skating buddy got pregnant and couldn't go any more. We have promised ourselves we will go together one more time before I leave....
As for going with my co-workers, well my boss put the kibosh on that idea, as she said "I need all my teachers in one piece to start the new school year on Tuesday morning, I don't need anyone in a cast!!!"
So, plans for Friday night are still up in the air, but I'm sure we will do something!

BTW Todd, good luck with the "paddle procedure". I've had that done once in the ER, it was not fun. Maybe you should look into the procedure I had done, the catheter ablation, to fix the atrial fib problem once and for all.....
Delft, give yourself a good rest today....
VTJen, please take care, and try to give yourself some time as well.....
Beenie, good luck at the Dr.'s with ds.
Trip, enjoy those beads!

donna
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Jen, stop and THINK! Look what happened to that poor female Pastor who was brutally murdered in a Church she went out of her way to visit and to Pastor. Do EXACTLY what B/W suggests, CALL JOHN LAW AND CALL HIM NOW! Good heavens, you're entering a building that you know for a fact was locked when you left it, no authorized person has been there since you, yet when you open it again you find all these doors and windows unlocked????!!!!!!!! PLEASE Jen, don't put yourself into the position of becoming a victim.

B/W, thanks for the info. You are the true expert in matters such as these but I think we've done well this time. First of all, Fran wants to stay right on the Beach (you know, as Tevia used to sing, "Traditon!"). We stayed at the Faifield Inn (which is right on the site of the former Windjammer where we always stayed back in the seventies) last year but it was so expensive. Well, my wife who is a real whiz at finances (which is the only reason we've avoided bankruptcy and I still have an excellent credit rating to boot ), I think really latched onto something.

She obtained a Visa Credit Card that is associated with the Choice Hotels (Clarion, Days Inn, Days Inn & Suites, etc., etc.). She buys virtually everything we purchase with the card (called Choice Priviledges). She then deducts the amount in her check register as if she'd written checks instead of using the card, thereby knowing exactly where we stand financially at all times. At the end of the month she pays the whole thing off. Between that and all the periodic deals Choice Hotels offers throughout the years, we've been able to truly "clean up" this year. We're staying for four days but with all the points we've accrued, two of them will cost nothing. Then, by going in the off season and being old cogdgers, we got a super rate. And not only that, we got a suite for the cost of the cheapest room!

But believe me, I'll certainly file away in Fran's memory bank (mine bankrupted years ago) your suggestions about E-Bay. It'll certainly come in handy!

I tried rollerskating once R/D. I found that the wood floor furnishes just as satisfactory a concussion as the ice! Come to think of it, I'll use that excuse in the future (reference the first sentence of the paragraph right above this one) when I get tired of alwasy saying I have CRS.

Todd
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone!

It's a good day here in the "Land O' Lakes". Betty, me and "Walker" Texas Ranger just got back from the coffee shop. They were happy to see me and my money.

The leg is doing OK. It is hurting less every day but using the walker to get around probably isn't the best idea. If I use the crutches my leg doesn't swell. Even though I "can" put some weight on the leg I'll try to avoid it. I just need to put on the hockey helmet and elbow pads and use the crutches more.

Yesterday, I booked the Epic cruise. It will be fun to do another CM cruise and I'm interested to see what how NCL does Freestyle Mega ship cruising. I was lucky to get an aft cabin. I was going to book one of those Courtyard Villas but I probably would have never left the courtyard. That and the fact I could put new granite flooring in my kitchen for the cost.

RD: Go skating. It's not like you are a rookie and I don't think you'll be doing any Xtreme skating tricks. Betty is quite a few years older than you and still water skis as often as she can.

Jen: I feel for your issues. Dealing with mental illness and alcoholism in people is very hard and most of the time there is little you can do to help, other than encourage them to get help.

I hope everyone has a great Thursday and I wonderful weekend.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 27th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Default Thursday's Here and the Week's End is on the Horizon

Good morning from Southern California. The Morris Fire rages on. Fire fighters expect to be in the Angeles National Forest for the rest of the week. We can't smell it nor are there any ashes.

Jen, I hope you take BW's advice and call the police. At the very least, that guy's breaking and entering. None of us want you to be this nutcase's casualty.

Mike, glad to hear that you're getting around.

Todd, take good care.

Gotta take my car in for servicing this morning. With no buggy, I'll stay home and make a mac and tuna entre salad for dinner.

Have a good day, all!

Judy
Old August 27th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Hello to all as the day wears on - it's almost lunch time here in eastern Ks. and my time to get up and take a break from working at the desk all morning -

sounds like everyone is doing pretty good with just a few hiccups out there messing things up

hope everyone has a good day and prayers going out for everyone !