Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 27th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Beginner

Default panama canal

Crossing the panama canal is it all day thing or it takes a couple of minutes.. I will like to take a cruise that is crossing it but I ear so many different things.. some say its to early in morning, others say its boring help.. what is the biggest cruise ship to cross the panama canal is it The Sun Princess or QE2...
Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Admiral

Can't fully answer but it is definitely more than a few minutes.

When we were in Panama in April we took an excursion thru the ship to do a partial. We started on a bus to the middle lock then a ferry on to the Pacific. The length of the whole excursion was to be 6 hours but because the ferry had to wait for an oil tanker at the locks instead of being on the canal for 3 hours we were on for 6 hours. So our ship was 3 hours late leaving port.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old August 27th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Admiral

I went completely thru on the Carnival Elation and it was all day. 8 hours or so.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old August 27th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Admiral

The complete transcanal is about 6 or 7 hours. However, you can take a 10 day out of Fort Lauderdale on the Island Princess or Coral Princess which takes you through the Gatun Locks and into Gatun Lake. You can then take a shore excursion on a ferry boat through the other 2 locks - very well worth it because you get an entirely different perspective of the locks and it takes you all the way over to the Pacific Ocean.

Both of these ships are called Panamax style because they were specifically built to just fit into the canal. I've done this 10 day trip six times on one or the other. Did the complete transcanal on the old Crown Princess (since turned over to their German branch). There is a new Crown Princess.

The Sun Princess sails around Asia and Australia - not the Canal. The QEII is too big.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old August 27th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Admiral

I did a partial last Feb. on the Jewel of the Seas. its starts around
5:00 am in the morning. A full transit of nthe canal is about 8 hours
Old August 27th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Admiral

If everyone wasn't aware, they are currently building a new Canal lane, much wider, next to the current Canal. The new lane will be much wider and will have modern, and fewer locks. It's still a few years away from opening, but when it does, they estimate with the width and modern lock system in the new Canal lane, the traffic through the Canal will increase by times 4!

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old August 27th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Admiral

blueliner, when we were ther in April you could see where they were working on the new locks. Also there are a few places on the canal where they are semi straightening curves. That is to aide the larger ships that will going thru.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old August 27th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Beginner

Well thank u all for your time and yes I will make plans to go thru the panama canal
Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:38 AM
Captain

We are going on a 16-day full Panama Canal crossing in a couple of weeks. In answer to the OP's question, I think it is determined by whether or not you are doing the "full panama" or "partial panama".

We're taking a Celebrity cruise, and this is what I just learned (a fellow cruiser asked if we would be allowed off at the start of the Panama crossing for an excursion)...

"Dear Guest,

For your ship and itinerary -- excursions will be offered while in Panama Canal.
The ship will be cruising through some of the locks until it arrives at Gatun Lake. Here the ship will stop so that the guests with shore excursions can be picked up and transferred to the Gatun Marina where they will commence with the excursions.
When the shore excursions guests debark in Gatun Lake the ship will cruise to Cristobal Pier where it will dock and wait for the guests with the excursions.
While the ship is docked Cristobal Pier guests who did not purchase a shore excursions may debark the ship and wonder on their own.
Unfortunately at this time the tour operator has not provided us with the shore excursion information for the Panama Canal, there for we have not uploaded those onto our system as of yet.
This information should be uploaded no later than the 1st week of September
We are truly sorry and would like to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused
Should you have any questions please feel free to contact us."

Regards,

Shore Excursions and Explorations! Dept
Old September 2nd, 2009, 12:34 PM
Admiral

I am amazed at how many business memos, advertisments, etc., are either written by ignorant people or in the case of typos, not proof read. This one could be either.

"While the ship is docked Cristobal Pier guests who did not purchase a shore excursions may debark the ship and WONDER(?) on their own."

Have always tried to figure out how one "wonders" with someone else. Guess it could occur but you and your companion had best agree on what is "wondrous" to the both of you.

Todd
Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:17 PM
First Mate

Todd,

Check my Mexican Ports post under Celebrity. Should be good for a chuckle.....

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 2nd, 2009, 04:56 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH
I am amazed at how many business memos, advertisments, etc., are either written by ignorant people or in the case of typos, not proof read. This one could be either.

"While the ship is docked Cristobal Pier guests who did not purchase a shore excursions may debark the ship and WONDER(?) on their own."

Have always tried to figure out how one "wonders" with someone else. Guess it could occur but you and your companion had best agree on what is "wondrous" to the both of you.

Todd
I know, I thought exactly the same thing. I wouldn't last at my employer's if I sent out that type of communication piece!

I "wonder" if she meant "wonder" as in (wonder in amazement) or if she meant "wander"...either way, neither would be correct, IMHO.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
It shows that spell check doesn't take care of everything.

Take care,
Mike (Who's messed up with "there and their" a few times)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:40 PM
Admiral

Mike,

With all the mistakes I make, you'd think I never got past third grade. The best thing to happen to me especially on this site is, thanks to you, Ispell (and as you so wisely pointed out even it doesn't cure everything...yeah, I too am forever making the their/they're error).

One can't really proof read their own work and all of my newspaper columns I submit for publication, I save. When I go and draw them up for one reason or another, more often than not, I'm embarrassed to death. Thank God they have the world's best editor at the paper!

Todd
Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Oh, and one last thing. I know we each have our pet language peeves.

One of my strongest is when folks spell "definitely" phonetically as "definately." There never has been nor will there ever be an "a" in "definitely!"

Todd