Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2009, 07:25 AM
Admiral

Default Monday, Already?!

Good Morning Mates,
Looks like it will be a chilly day, but some some, it is breezy at present.

Well, the weekend ended up being different than planned - my life seems to change quicily.
Sat - work at church. Then to the Hospital to visit the elderly church parishoner - she is 90 and quite a corker!
Then downstairs to the ER to see my friend with cancer. When I called her in the morning she shared some problems she was having. I told her she had to call the doctor. He wanted to see her immediately. So the Pastor's wife and I went and spent a lot of the waiting time with her.
Back to church, then home in mid-afternoon. Where after lunch at like 3 pm I sort just collapsed into a zombie state for a bit, then roused enough to get a good handle on laundry.
I am really sick of doing laundry! It is never ending. I now know why people become nudists - just because laundry is such a pain!

Sunday went to church, with my old yuck clothes in the back (which means my Red Sox shirt with Johnny Damon's name on the back)

Got to church - collect a bunch of cleaning products, gloves, bucket...
Then when I talked to the man in charge of this - who rechecked with our man - the guy refused, and sorta freaked out - saying he had stuff he didn't want us to see - duh - no joke, but you've had a week to get rid of the "contra-band". So, that left me with a free afternoon.
Again when got home from church went upstairs to change and just sort flopped on bed and zoned out - no sleep, but just a state of nothingness, I guess. Staggered downstairs in a bit, coffee, more coffee and some cereal. Then I started my study into the Book of Revelation. I have taught the book before, but somehow lost all my notes, not just on the computer, but hard copy as well. Since it was about 12 years ago, I can't even remember the resources I used to pull the study together, so what a lot of work.
I will be doing a one-on-one study with a friend. I put in about 5 to 7 hours per each hour I actually teach. I am not sure I can pull this off.

Then back to church - the out to eat w/ a sweet couple from our church.
Then home. Dh had gotten home by the time I returned.
He had been called to a tragic accident.
A local fire department was returning back to the station from a fire.
Going down a big hill something happened to the tanker - witnesses said it just kept gaining momentum and even passed a car (so I suspect it was a mechanical problem).
The Tanker flipped, a fireman was ejected - the truck rolled on top of him
then hit a pole, before it rolled into the woods.
Much of the mans head was taken off. So very sad!
Praying for this family - and the firemen/emergency workers who had to witness this and have lost a fallen brother.

Today - well first must get off to the grocery store. Making dinner for my friend who is having chemo today. With a the test she had at hospital this weekend, and her symptoms, I am not sure they will actually do it.
I will still make the meal, she is feeling so poorly.
Then home, cook/bake. Also need to make lunch for a friend who is coming over for a bit of a Bible Study. Must also get some housework done, as I had no energy to do so this weekend.
So, I guess.....

ToddDh - glad Fran found dishes - what do they look like?
P.S. - your dinner sounded divine!!!!!! I had Honey Nut Cheerios, and a banana - lol

Hope everyone gets a great start to their week!
Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2009, 07:41 AM
Admiral

Morning All, from Montreal, where it is mighty chilly for the last day of August! All of 10C or 50F this morning, with a brisk wind - brrr!
Today is our granddaughter's 7th birthday, can't believe she is already that old and starting Gr. 2!

Jen, I hope you have a more relaxing Monday than you had weekend...
No wonder you were exhausted!

I had a very relaxing weekend, spending about 3 hours each way reading and doing crosswords on the train trip to and from my friend's.
This friend by the way is "Cruwysie" who pops in here from time to time, and she says hello to you all.
The 3 of us sat around catching up on the year(s), drinking wine, and trying out my friend's Wii. I might look into getting one of those, it sure was fun!
Yesterday we headed for the mall and we got in a little retail therapy as well.
I found a lovely new comforter for our bedroom in the new house, so I was pleased.

Today, it's off to work for our Pedagogical Day of preparing the classrooms for the new year. Since I won't have a classroom, I have volunteered to help out with the outdoor PlaySpace, which needs a thorough sweeping, clean the sandbox, and re-organize the toys from summer to fall, put away the pools, etc.
Busy day ahead, but at least I will not have to stay until after 6pm!

Hope all my Mates have a great start to their week!

donna
Old August 31st, 2009, 07:43 AM
Admiral

Good Morning to all where the weather has cleared quite abit.

Jen as always a busy day!

Yesterday Sam and I were roaming around and bought a new front load washing machine dryer set. Then we also got a 52 inch plasma TV that he wanted.

Today some follow up tests to make sure all is OK. Then I have a ton of paper work on my desk that needs attending to.

Have a great day every one!
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:08 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
I haven't been around too much this weekend. I popped in and checked on everyone, but didn't linger long enough to post.

Todd glad to hear the procedure was well tolerated. Sorry about the production with the dishes though. Stuff like that really drives me crazy.

Jen I hope you are doing alright and perhaps the man's desire to keep his stuff secret will lead him to avoid the cleaning crew from the church. It sounds like you needed a free afternoon.

It has been good to see Kuki back here on the boards, As our temps start to cool here in the midwest, it leads me to be a wee bit envious of his condo out there in Scottsdale.

Well d/h is back to his regular job this week. Not too bad since he'll have a three day weekend coming up here soon. The kids are still sleeping. Everything here is pretty normal. Not too much going on. Schooling is going well. D/D is really starting to get the hang of reading. D/s is really starting to get the hang of his stuff too. I was watching the news the other night and they said a nearby school would no longer teach cursive writing and instead simply teach kids how to read cursive and how to keyboard. I have really mixed emotions about this. I think that cursive writing is a lost art anyway and we've slowly allowed it to become nearly extinct. I look my 83 year old fathers handwriting which looks he is one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, and my own writing which is not nearly as beautiful as his, but very good by today's standards... kind of sad not to teach those skill's to today's children. I wonder if they will know how good it feels to put pen to paper and create a work of art and not just words on a page. Our how much it means for someone to get a real handwritten thank you note, rather than a characterless email. Oh well. My kids will be able to write cursive.

I spent a good deal of the weekend doing some cruise planning. 2 months from today we'll have our first sea day of our 14 day cruise on the Jewel. The only port I have left to work on is St. Kitts. I brought in all the cruise stuff from the garage and sorted it into the bin of stuff we want to take with us and the stuff that needs to be pitched or put back.

Well that's our exciting life here. Not much else going on. Hope you all have a great Monday!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Good Morning everyone.

In response to your query Jen, they are basic white with a basket weave pattern. She's really happy with them and so am I. Not that I care about the pattern she selected but rather that the whole process is OVER!

You know R/D, just by your posts, you are most certainly a treasure who will be sorely missed by not only your co-workers but most especially, by the children!

Gosh Delft how I wish Fran (aka The Bank) would allow me to also purchase your two newest acquisitions! I keep checking Consumer's Report for the best front loading washer and they just had a review of inexpensive plasma TV's. Of course when it comes to both plasma TV's, and front loader washing machines, the term "inexpensive" is relative indeed.

I guess I'm really revealing my age B/W but the decision concerning cursive writing is undoubtedly the new trend, I am incensed. Having said that, while I love cursive I print everything simply because for some reason, I never got cursive down to where I thought it measured up. I like to tell folks that I always wanted to be a physician and I got my signature down pat. Then I learned though that becoming a physician also meant I had to continue my education for another eight years ! That's when I decided that I'd just start carrying a shield and a gun.

At any rate, I remember B/W my mother's handwriting which was absolutely gorgeous as was my Aunt's. Of course my maternal grandmother was a school teacher so I'm sure that had something to do with it. Not to mention that was probably back around the Mesozoic era.

Prayers continue for those on the list as well as a request for multitudinous Blessings on all!

Todd
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:57 AM
Admiral

Wow, I never thought that handwriting would become extinct. That sort of sickens me.

Off to the grocery store....toodles
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:14 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH
Gosh Delft how I wish Fran (aka The Bank) would allow me to also purchase your two newest acquisitions! I keep checking Consumer's Report for the best front loading washer and they just had a review of inexpensive plasma TV's. Of course when it comes to both plasma TV's, and front loader washing machines, the term "inexpensive" is relative indeed.
Todd
That's for sure! All I can say about the frontloader is that I love mine and my clothes have never gotten cleaner, faster, and been dryer leaving the washer, BUT they are tempermental machines especially if you don't have them on concrete. But when you have this thing spinning at 1400 rpm's, thats a lot of centrifical force and it makes a lot of sense there could be some movement. My only advice to anyone buying one of these is to really do your homework, don't pay full price, and buy the extended warranty. I bought mine in January and have had 2 service calls already.

Old August 31st, 2009, 09:53 AM
Admiral

B/W,

By the time we save enough to buy a front loader, hopefully they'll have got better in working out the bugs. Of course by the time we are able to go out and get one, I'm sure they'll be about as modern as the wringer washer is today!

Todd
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning from the great state of Texas, where it will again be hot. I sure long for the cooler days.

I woke up early this morning to feed the birds. They have not been fed in a couple of days, so there is a frenzy in the yard at this morning.

Today is Joshua's first day back to school after his graduation. I am so proud of my little man. He will be a very responsible adult one day.

Jen, I don't know how you do it all. I had to rest just reading your post.

Donna, I know that feeling of those last days of work. It makes your heart feel sad. You are still welcome, but you know that people will go on without you.

Today I have to clean my frig. I spilled country fried steak gravy, and it has gotten hard. I guess I did it last night, and didn't realize it.

I wish all of you a good day.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Geeze Luanne, why do you have to make this southern boy who is so trying to watch his weight, hungry by even mentioning country fried steak gravy! Well, there goes my salad for lunch! Steak and gravy here we come! Oh, and I can guarrrontee none of that gravy will ever make it to the Fridge!

Todd
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:49 AM
Admiral

Default Monday Already?

Monday, indeed it is! Again, the sun is orange and temp is high. The La Canada/Flintridge Fire, known as the Station Fire, is really awful. Last night it had burned 45,000 acres, destroyed houses and cabins, and killed two firemen. I've been coughing from the particulates in the air.

BW, we didn't have room for a front loading washer, but the new set we bought two years ago is lightyears from what we had. As you say, they wash and dry huge loads in a very short time. It used to take me about three days to do laundry; now it's done in half a day.

And speaking of laundry, I have a pile of ironing to start on while Keith is at the gym. I have another finger infection that will need to be lanced, and problems with the left arm due to those range of motion exercises. The clinic will get a call this morning, definitely. It's always something . . . I just want us both to be healthy and happy for our cruise.

Trip, I am looking for free parking for our cruise, too. What an exercise in futility. The hotels either want a two-day stay, or they only offer three or seven nights of parking. I've seen parking as high as $26 a night! The package I really want ends in November.

I hope everybody has a nice day.

Judy
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
Better late then never....I was running about, doing this and that

Did anyone else learn penmanship with "The Palmer Method?" Around Boston, this was THE only way, in the 50's. So many of my girlfriends wroting looked like mine as it had a very rounded and curvacious way about it...The room was ringed with the alphabet, that paraded around the walls. lest you fogot Out of that though, my handwriting does get compliments, and I used to have to do a lot of work as a kid for the teachers because of it....

And I still don't know exactly what chicken fried steak is, another thing being stuck wayyyyy up here we just don't eat

Judy, try biddingfortravel,com to see what hotels in your area are going for..... then go try Priceline..mine was low enough that even with the parking I am still paying low enough, to beat a free parking hotel. I just got a midsize rental from Alamo for $18.00 a day from them as well, I was going to start at 20.00, but went back and changed it lower, and glad I did. Now I need the travel insurance...It never ends

Make it a good one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 31st, 2009, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Trip,

Most people from at least the 20's through the fifties (and probably both earlier and later) learned the Palmer method. My mother who was born in 18, learned the Palmer method. I too remember the cursive alphabet adorning the walls of my classroom as well. I've frequently seen the alphabet permanently placed on on a black board (complete with the three lines denoting how large to write upper and lower case).

I just can't believe they're stopping the teaching of it. As it is, probably most teenagers today cannot figure change in their head (they have to have the register tell them) and they don't have a clue as to how to count it back. Their English skills for the most part, are atrocious, their vocabulary so very sadly deficient. About fifteen years ago we knew a clerk in a jewelry store who told us that she found it incredible that many of her teenaged daughter's friends literally could not tell time on an analog (traditional style) wrist watch.

I'll say this. If you have a child who is up on the three "R's" plus history and English grammar and lit, consider yourself not only EXTREMELY fortunate but you probably should give yourself a huge self hug because so often your child couldn't have achieved such a level without your direct assistance (usually involving the oft used phrase (dunning them to death)).

BTW, the NY Daily News is or was I believe, written on a 4th grade level. I've met those who think they have a good grasp on the English language because they can understand the New York Times. A Times reader might be well educated but anyone with (if I recall correctly) a 6th grade reading level, should easily be able to read and understand that periodical.

I for one, think we'd best get back to basics when it concerns educating our kids. Okay I'll stop. Rant's over!

Todd
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:30 PM
Admiral

The Nuns at Catholic school made sure I learned how to write both script and print and trust me it never went above or below the middle line..it touch it I still have the scars on my knuckles when I tried to "free style"..of course they would be rolling over in their graves if they saw how bad my handwriting is today..even my cardiologist can't read it and to be honest, I can't read his..fyi I still baffle my fighter pilot son because I can multiply on my fingers faster then he can do on his aviator watch..of course I can't remember what I had for breakfast and he can navigate a 60M fighter airplane in pitch black, with no instruments, by looking at the stars 8) 8) ..go figure

good afternoon from New Orleans
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:42 PM
Admiral

Chicken Fried steak is better know in the real south as cube steak.

Chicken fried is cube steak heavily breaded, and dropped in a deep fryer.

The gravy is white, and very thick. It is made of flour, milk, grease.

Which is why it hardens. When I teach Kindergarten, we use the same for paste. Okay, not the milk. They drink the milk while making the paste.

NO I still can't get all of it up.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 31st, 2009, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Okay sports fans, I have a question. This gets folks in the Southeast and in Texas really going.

Is chicken fried steak a white cream gravy and country fried steak a brown cream gravy made from drippings or is chicken fried steak a brown gravy made from drippings and country fried steak with a white cream gravy?

BTW, there is a definitive answer at least as regards TVFN.

Ready....set.....GO!
Old August 31st, 2009, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Okay,

Southern style cube steak is fixed with brown gravy.

Texas style cube steak has been re-named Chicken Fried Steak, which is cube steak, but the gravy is white.

If you ever go to a Cracker Barrel, you will see on the menu, Chicken fried Chicken. It is indeed chicken made the same way as the cube steak which is of course Chicken fried steak in Texas.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 31st, 2009, 05:59 PM
First Mate

Regarding the gravy, the one for chicken fried steak, is it supposed to be peppery? Also, I have heard of red-eye gravy, which for some reason I seem to think is made with coffee. What is that?

I've only had chicken fried steak once, in Dallas years ago. The folks I was with said that the gravy made the dish. The one I had was great, and I do recall it had a ton of black pepper in it.

Not all that common a dish up here in staid New England....

Old August 31st, 2009, 06:11 PM
Admiral

Both gravies have heavy pepper.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 31st, 2009, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Sid,

Red eye gravy is from this neck of the woods and is made from the drippings from frying country ham.

What you do is fry country ham (you can probably order it on the internet) in a cast iron skillet until it's about the consistency of Canadian bacon. It has a tendancy to be quite salty so some folks marinate it in some milk overnight.

If you don't have a commercial vent system over your stove, open up every door and window in the place and let your neighbors know your house isn't on fire 'cause the smoke is gonna billow out from that skillet!

When you remove the ham, pour some perked coffee and Lea & Perrins into the skillet and simmer for a few minutes.

Pour the gravy over the ham and serve with biscuits. You and also put the ham on open faced biscuits and pour the gravy over both.

It's not for everybody but those in the Southeast (especially East Tennessee and western North Carolina) probably couldn't live without it. I'm ... uhhh ... told that it helps if you have some locally made whilte lightnin' (crystal clear and 190 proof) with which to wash it down. If that breakfast doesn't get you going, you're already dead!

Todd
Old August 31st, 2009, 06:46 PM
Admiral

I love my cast iron skillet. I got it from my mom years ago.

I fix corn bread with cracklings. yum
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 31st, 2009, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Ok, here we go again..what the heck is cracklins?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 31st, 2009, 07:49 PM
Admiral

My land Trip, you have not LIVED until you've tasted "Cracklins."

Actually, it's fried pork rind. Homemade is the best but it's also widely sold down South (and you could possibly even find it in the Boston area) in the potato chip aisle. They're little kinda' curled up squares of pork rind that when fried, become extremely light and crispy. They're especially great for you if you're cholesterol deficient.

Luanne, don't ever lose that iron skillet.

For those who aren't in the know, there are absolutely two things necessary for REAL Southern Fried Chicken. One is an iron skillet and the other is Crisco. Not Crisco oil but the partially hydrogenated, heart clogging Crisco in a can. I recently heard they made that more "healthy" as well which probably means it'll be useless and you'll have to start from scratch and render some lard.

We've all often heard of "melt in your mouth" pie crust. My mother really made it and she was known for her pie crust. Although it only had four ingredients (Flour, Crisco salt and ice cold milk -- yes milk, not water)) none of us have been able to duplicate it. Truthfully even my sister finally gave up years ago. Sounds crazy, I know but it's true. That's because although we watched her make it up as we grew up, she never used a recipe (and my hands are about four times the size of hers so the "handfull" and "pinch of this" method doesn't work either).

Damn, that does it! Here goes my diet again!

FRANCES! Can we have fried chicken and gravy, mashed potatos along with homemade cherry pie for dessert tomorrow evening? Pretty please snookums, huh?

Todd
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Hey Venice!
I have some of those scars too! 9 years with the Fillippini nuns....I can still hear the rosary beads swishing on their hips.
Angela Z.
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:07 PM
Admiral

my cardiologist would just scream if he read what you guys are describing..

being born and bred in the north, my palate was very different once I came south

I like the way they make liver in the south, with all kinds of onions and peppers and this really good gravy made with some cabbage and cornbread and bread pudding for dessert and drowning it with ice cold sweat tea...and that's just for Sunday breakfast after church
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Holy Cow! or Pig!
I came in tonight to see the daily thread had 25 posts. I didn't know if trhere had been some major excitement or something then realized it was all about gravy

Old August 31st, 2009, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Venice,

If you like liver try some fried pork liver. Fix it just like calves liver, smothered in sauteed Vidalia onions and make up some milk gravy from the drippings. I am not kidding you, it's delicious and for the longest time, I didn't even know folks ate pork liver!

An old farmer who lived with his wife in the senior apartment complex I managed used to fix it for me at least once a month.

Todd
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:32 PM
Admiral

I realized after I typed, that I had no idea what cracklings were. I just grew up with them. I am a city girl who grew up on country food. My meat does not come from animals, they come from the grocery store. To many details, and I'm no longer hungry.

No Todd, That frying pan has been in my family for years, and has now been all over the world, so it's not going anywhere. Although It could have been evidence when I was married before.

I do not, and never will eat liver. YUK.

Vidalia onions, very ripe tomatoes, in vinegar. YUM

Speaking of cabbage. My friend here is from Ky. They fry cabbage instead of boil it. It sounds good, but have yet to try it.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old September 1st, 2009, 02:17 AM
Admiral

Luanne.."we" (see I am no longer a Yankee), fry cabbage here...as a kid I HATED liver and vowed I would NEVER eat it once I got grown..when I started dating a New Orleans woman, I told her that...she smiled, said nothing..then one Sunday prepared it for me without telling me what it was...since I was in the courting stage when she encouraged me to try it with all the fixings, I LOVED it before finding out what it was and have been eating it ever since

I have one of my mother's old black iron skillets, that she gave me when , along with a can of crisco, when I got my first apartment...every once in awhile for special occasions, I soak it with olive oil and fry me up some tatters and onions and green peppers and real bacon, however I no longer have the empty can of crisco to pour all the grease from the bacon in

Todd..please have your wife send me a plate as i will go make groceries for all the fixins