Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:44 AM
Admiral

Default Thursday

Its just after midnight and I cannot sleep but I should be. Its been a tough few days, as my best friends MIL was passing away. I know it was expected but it is still sad. It of course reminds me that it will be my mother shortly. I did my best to help as much as I could where ever I was asked to help. Their Nova Scotia Duck Toller went home tonight, and my little Lillie is glad, unfortunately their dog thinks Little Lil is a squeky toy

When I am nervous I clean, and I have been cleaning. The laundry/store room was ripped apart, and really cleaned! A new utility sink is going in tomorrow night and I will re stock the food shelves, and the new washer dryer set come Saturday. It look quite differant now, as everything had to be moved because the new set is much bigger and what with it being on the drawer bases, which I needed with my bad back. I did think of staking the two , and not getting drawers, to save space, as a friend did it and it sure does save space, BUT the washer really will be hard on my back, and I have a bad back and I do one heck of alot of wash . The drawers will be handy for stotage of cleaning products etc. At the same time packed up nine garbage bags of things to bring to the sally ann. I never throw things out, but when I do a big clean up...........then the I really do it well.

Later Today, as it is after midnight, I will take my Mum to chemo and then go to the family of my friends. I promised to go over after the chemo to help them with a few things. Friday is the funneral.

Hope every one has a really good day!
Old September 3rd, 2009, 06:22 AM
Admiral

Good morning Delft and all who follow.

Yesterday was just another reason why, having lived elsewhere, we so love our part of the country.

The washing machine had gone on the fritz. It's a twelve year old Sears model that has the largest tub available in a top loader and also has an available double rinse. We have also been told by folks in the know that our particular model is probably the best and most reliable ever offered by Sears.

Most people would just replace a twelve year old washer that had been previously repaired (the latest repair just a few months ago being a short in an easily accessible wire that was fixed in ten minutes). I've also wanted for several years now, to get one of those new front loaders.

Nonetheless we decided, despite the two previous service calls in its history (including the one previously described and the first of which occurred when the machine was less than a year old when the pump went bad and was covered by warranty), that if the machine could be inexpensively repaired, we just hated to part with it if we really didn't have to.....sorta like an old pair of comfortable bedroom slippers. It also, despite its age, looks as if it were purchased yesterday.

Out the repairman came and diagnosed two problems; the motor was shot as well as the pump was again on the verge of following suit (it too had been making a strange noise). Knowing the guy, at his recommendation we approved the installation of a new motor and pump.

Not only were all the repairs made, but this guy was a fanatic about cleaning up behind himself, an attribute I'm confident most will agree is not found in many washing machine repairmen (at least not in our experience over the past thirty-seven years).

Also be mindful of the fact that as the machine is located in a little closed off laundry nook in our large sun room designed specifically to hold the washer and dryer, it is difficult to move the washer (the dryer has to be moved out to get to the washer). Therefore neither has been moved completely out since probably the sun room was built six or seven years ago. My wife who almost fainted upon seeing the condition of the floor beneath the machines (yeah, like most, she's a clean freak), begged the repair man to please let her know before he put the machines back so she could clean the floor (ceramic tile) beneath them. When he finished work, he called her out to the sun room and lo and behold, the floor beneath where both the washer and dryer were getting ready to be returned, looked as if it had been installed yesterday! He also made repairs from the outside to the dryer vent before replacing the dryer (which entailed the guy lying on the ground) so that the vent would better marry with the dryer itself. He was here around two hours.

Anyhow, the total cost including service call, parts and labor, came to ......drumroll please...... only one hundred thirty-five dollars

Even being aware of the "law of diminishing returns," try comparing that cost to that of a new washing machine or even obtaining the same service from GE, Sears or any other major appliance repair outfit not to mention getting your laundry room floor immaculatized in the process.

Oh and did I mention his store/shop is over twenty miles away from us and he has a big Ford F-250 repair truck that probably gets maybe ten or twelve miles to the gallon? Needless to say we are more than satisfied with our decision.

Yep, yesterday was a good day indeed!

Hope everyone has a magnificent run up to TGIF and of course, prayers and Blessings continue!

Todd
Old September 3rd, 2009, 07:06 AM
Admiral

Morning All, from Montreal, where it is early, but promises to be another stellar weather day. Love this sunshine and cooler temps, but I wish the ragweed pollen count was a little less!
Every morning I sneeze my head off for the first hour I'm up, until the allergy pill kicks in.

Delft, sorry to hear about your friend's MIL. Please pass on my condolences.
Sounds like you've got major renos and cleaning going on, kind of some positive things to counter balance all the negative.

Todd, sounds like you had a good day with the washing machine repairs.
Not very often you get such good service from ANYONE, plus having him clean up after himself is a giant plus! You really should report back to Sears what a wonderful job he did!

Well, I'm off to another early morning at work, and once all the crying is over with and we get them settled down for nap after lunch, I can go home! It is very strange being at home in the afternoons, but I guess I'd better get used to it, as next week I'll be home permanently.

Tonight I have plans to go rollerskating with my best skating buddy.
We haven't been for about 2 years, and that was only the once since she got pregnant 7 years ago and we stopped going every week.
Both of us should be a little rusty, but not so rusty that we won't thoroughly enjoy ourselves! This will be our last chance to skate before I move, and I know we will both miss having the opportunity ever again..

donna
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:28 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
Delft so sorry to hear about you friends MIL. I can certainly imagine this hits close to home on many levels and is very difficult.

Todd, congratulations on your newly refurbed washer. It will probably last you another 12 years. That's hard to find these days.

RD you are living in a bittersweet time. Grieving the past and embracing the future. It awful and wonderful all at the same time. How blessed you are to have such wonderful memories of such wonderful people.

Well today is a momentous day. D/s gets to start putting weight on his foot finally. He is up and out of bed but I don't have his air cast on him yet. I just finished attaching his orthotic to the inside of the boot with velcro strips so I am ready when he is. Then next week he gets to lose the crutches, the week after that he gets to lose it all and just wear tennis shoes, I can't wait.

I made it over to get my hair cut and colored yesterday and that worked out great. Had a great visit with one of my good friends from our past lives together. She and I had a lovely visit and found out that they just opened a day spa for little girls, so I made an appointment for d/d's birthday next month. She is going to get a manicure, pedicure, hairdo and makeup and she's soooooo excited she was squealing like mad when I told her about it. I think I'll send the boys to go play laser tag or something so it's just us girls and our day of beauty together. I should be needing a pedicure about that time before we go on our cruise.

Thats the excitement here in our neck of the woods. Hope everyone enjoys the day, It won't be long and the weekend will be here. Take care!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:43 AM
Admiral

Good Morning All,

The sun is shining. Life is crazy, hectic, but good. I am exhausted tho'. it is time to start another day, I am late, but I've already had 3 phone calls they started before, so I think it may be a long day.

Delft - hugs! and Prayers.

Wishing everyone the very best of days
Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning everyone from sunny Texas, where for the last couple of days we have enjoyed under 100 temps, but are due to go back up today.

Not much planned for today. I have to run on post for a few things, but that shouldn't take very long.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Delft, My prayers for you. I know it is tough.

Jen, Try to slow down. You do so much.

Todd, You are my hero. Thank you for being there for me.

Donna, May your days go by fast, so you can start your new life.

BW I must have missed something. I didn't know your child was hurt. I hope he continues to improve.

Wishing all of you a good day.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
Sunny and cool, and a good weather week ahead as well..yayay!
Today I am taking Aiden over to the library, to get his library card, how great is that? A few books to bring home, and soon he will be able to read them..he starts school, on Tuesday, but not too pleased that it will infringe on his play time!

Yesterday, when the kids were in the backyard, their dad, lifted the pool to empty it, and a snake slithered out...my sil was not too thrilled...My Facebook pals can see it on my page....we had some say it was a copperhead, and some a garden snake...at first to me, with the markings it looked like a rattler!! Guess who will not step foot out their
for a while OY!

My new replacement kitchen table arrives today....when I called to tell them of my selection, I asked what I would have to pay... included in the amount was a sales tax......I said...I don't think so, I paid the tax when I bought it, and I'm not paying it again.......back and forth we went, and the amount I paid, after the mgr did some figuring..hmmm... was actually less...from 172.00 to 121.00.......!! worth letting them know I was not happy about it..

Make it a good one...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:11 AM
Admiral

Good Morning from New Orleans

Todd..did Fran fix the repairman lunch

have a great and Blessed day
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:06 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone:

Where the heck did summer go or was it never here? It hit me in the head like a hammer that it's SEPTEMBER. I know I'm a little slow but I've been busy and it didn't sink in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH
Anyhow, the total cost including service call, parts and labor, came to ......drumroll please...... only one hundred thirty-five dollars
Todd I want your area's, Sears rate scale. Last year I had the heating element replaced on our nine year old Sears dryer and just the service call was over $100 and the heating element and labor were $200+. Every six months I pull the skins off the dryer and vacuum it out. It's amazing how much lint finds it way into places other than the lint trap and exhaust vent. It really makes the dryer work better if you do that on a regular basis.

There is nothing on the agenda for today. I think Betty and I may do a Costco run. I can run around on the electric cart and see how many people I can run over.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!!!

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Default Thursday

A late good morning to you! We're having some work done on the house and then some errands to run.

Have a good day!

Judy
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:59 PM
Admiral

R/D and Mike,

I obviously didn't make myself clear. It WASN'T a Sears repairman. It was a fellow that has his own applicance store and does repairs as well! Good Heavens, being on a fixed income I could NEVER afford a Sears repair bill! They are outrageous :evil: Back in '96 when we moved back to Tennessee I had a Sears man fix the dryer that was left in the house. I forgot the total bill but to this day I remember that they charged $87 for the service call (albeit a portion was taken off the bill if you had the man repair the machine which they did). He even told me at the time that it wouldn't be worth it to call him again. The dryer died not six months later but from something entirely different.

Forgot to mention Mike, but I think his service charge (I think I accidentally threw the bill away) was forty bucks.

Venice,

Actually she offered lunch but he said he'd already eaten. He did absolutely love our coffee though!

Todd