Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Plane Etiquette /Are you guilty of any of these

Are you guilty of any of these? What bothers you? Any seat companion horror stories?

http://travel.aol.com/travel-ideas/a...avdynlprim0591

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Banned
Captain

It took me a spell to figger out how to work that dang story. An I done gradyated grade two..... what about them folks that aint so aintellygint?
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Admiral

I don't really enjoy flying too much, I always feel like one of the sardines being stuffed into the can. But I haven't had too terribly many unpleasant issues aside from a child with special needs kicking the back of my seat and grabbing my seat back in order to engage my children in misbehavior. To which I laid down the law and told them under no circumstances were they to look behind them at this child. I explained that his parents were trying very hard to make him behave and they should ignore him so he doesn't get into anymore trouble. They understood, no biggie. I also asked the child to please stop kicking my seat and let him know that my children were under strict orders to behave and could not play with him. After a time the offending behavior stopped.
The only thing that really stood out in my memory was on a Transatlantic flight that was only about half full. There was plenty of empty seats, this guy stands up walks over and sits in the seat right in front of d/h and forcefully slams the seatback into d/h's knees. The buffoon never got the hint, apologized or anything. D/H extricated himself eventually and went and sat somewhere else. Oh he was mad.
I refuse to get all bent out of shape over crying babies on flights. It is exhausting to travel with babies, parents do the best they can, it is so stressful for them when the babies cry. sometimes in spite of giving them something to eat or suck on they cry. sometimes for no apparent reason or they are just tired. Sometimes folks can really lack compassion.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Banned
Captain

You can bet your last dollar EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE OF US were crying babies once, and had some self-centered goof frown or comment about the noise we were making. How soon we forget.
Personally, I draw the line at 4 years and older. Old enough to understand. From that age onwards, it's the parent's fault.
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Admiral

It's been a while since I was on a plane but back then, while on a flight from Pittsburgh to Washington, I remember the starboard engine on the that fancy new DC-3 was the only thing acting up.

Todd
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

A couple of times, when my girlfriend and I flew to Florida, we both suffered indignities

I had a man next to me. who used the little pointed part of a nail clipper to dig down into his nail bed to China! I wanted to slap him..HOW do you do this on a plane??? Cringe

My gf had the unsavory situation of sitting best to a man who had just come from the rest room after tossing his lunch...on his shoulder next to her, were some little noodles, resting after their excursion from his stomach to the outside world Oy!

Another time I had a kid kicking the lie out of my seat..The parents could have cared less..after the flight attendant spoke to them, and, nothing changed...she moved me to business class...nice and quiet....

I have yet to smell any cabbage or liverwurst, so all is good

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 10th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Admiral

I truly never had any awful flights; until this year....and it really wasn't that bad - I was sandwhiched between two seat hogs and arm rest hogs... sitting in a manner as to take up as much space as possible (they were comfy, I wasn't) (and they both could have used some mouthwash) so it was very uncomfortable and I was stiff as a board; but of course I get a little anxious when strangers are that close... ugggh I hate flying for so many reasons.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Passenger

I remember one flight, we had a little seat kicker behind us and his parents seemed not to care that we were constantly telling this little bugger to stop kicking our seats! That's my pet peeve more than anything while traveling, kids will be kids, but parents need to parent!
Old September 10th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

It does bother me when people stand in the walk side of a moving sidewalk. You can even give them an "excuse me" and they just stand there making you go to the next step of "move it" or "coming through".

Also: The groups that MUST walk three and four abreast around the airport. You can be walking and there is no way they move or separate. I used to go around but now I just keep going straight in a little game of "concourse chicken". These are also the same people who have to walk/stroll/stand two abreast on the moving sidewalk.

It also bugs me that many airlines, with assigned seating, do cattle call boarding. They board first class, Elite passengers and special needs and then call the rest of the 34 rows for boarding. It's a mess. Calling the rear rows of the plane and then going forward is the most efficient. I compliment the gate people when they do this and I REALLY compliment them when they enforce it.

I have traveled "a lot" over the years and I put myself into a zone when I get on the plane and few things bother me. Percentage wise, I have had fairly few incidents. There have been the talkative folks who didn't know when to stop but most of them were just nervous about flying.

A couple of incidents of kids kicking the back of the seat but a request to stop has been honored.

The one person that comes to mind was a guy who was using his laptop on his tray table. I don't know if he was using his laptop or chopping meat. After about a half hour of being bumped and jostled I asked him to be a little more gentle with the seat. He continued excessively jostling the seat. So I finally just pushed the button and pushed the seat all the way back. He uttered a WTF and told me to push the seat forward. I said I would if he quit banging the seat. He agreed and I put the seat back up and all was well for the rest of the flight.

I have a pretty high tolerance for kids. Infants and young toddlers don't know what's going on and the air pressure hurts their ears so I know it's not their fault to cry. I also see the frustration on the faces of the parents.

The worst "smells" I have ever encountered on a plane have come from the galley. Some of the "breakfast sandwiches" that Northwest serves/served almost made me gag from the smell of the sausage. I'll take the smell of bacon and eggs, or a Whopper, any day.

I do believe that the more apprehensive someone is about flying the more "little things" bug them.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 10th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Mike M: you hit that right on the spot: the more aprehensive the more things bother.... which is why I try not go get all freaked out about flying and I try to immerse myself into a book which when I read you can fire a cannon next to me and I don't notice
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Banned
Captain

I nominate Mike M for airplane police.
(If you need a "goon deputy"... I'm your man)
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Captain

Default Bad Passengers

Once, on a flight from Athens to Cyprus, the idiot in front of me kept trying to put his seat back in a horizontal position. On Cyprus Airways, this isn't possible.

He kept banging into my knees, and I was just as determined that this joker wasn't going to recline.

After about 15 minutes, he quit trying. My knees were sore, but I felt I had a moral victory.
Old September 10th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Admiral

Mike makes an excellent point about young kids and ear pressure..also children with autism sometime have challenges when they fly and the parents do the best they can..alittle patience and understanding go a long way

now the grown ups who act like &657((0 are an entirely different story..flying back from Maui years ago on the red eye on a 747 was a couple sitting in the last row that decided to express their love to each other with no regards for everyone seated around them (they figure since the lights were low and people were sleeping, no one would notice)..after several request by the flight attendents to stop, they threw ice water on them
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Banned
Captain

Venice!!! Have you not heard of the "Mile High Club"

They probably waited forever to join........ have some compassion.
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Admiral

if Venice doesn't get to join the club... nobody does!

Old September 11th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Banned
Captain

It's easy to join when you are single.
Try to avoid the stares, though, and wear a trenchcoat.
Old September 11th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Banned
Captain

Tennille is now sitting for a "time out".
The rule is, one minute for every year of age.
This could be a while.
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Admiral

I happen to be a premier executive member of the mile high club 8) 8) 8) (have dated a "few" flight attendants in my time) and it's a matter of style over content the style is the anticipation of being caught (that 's what separates the premiers from the regular mileage plus members)...these dumb a*(s did not even try to be discreet, they just went at it in the open..no style what-so-ever..plus they were very loud
Captain..in our club are lots of married couples

is there an equivalent to an airplane mile high club at sea ?..if so how many posters ............
Old September 11th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Banned
Captain

Guilty as charged in the hot tub at midnight.
Old September 11th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

One observation I've made over the years is that most people who complain about people reclining the seat in front of them recline their own seats.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 11th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Admiral

I am guilty of everything, hey they make the seat to recline. SO recline it if it makes the journey easier.

But I would cut the legs of children that decide entertainment is kicking or pushing or pressing on the back of my seat
Old September 11th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Admiral

if you fly first class, you miss alot of this stuff 8)
Old September 11th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
if you fly first class, you miss alot of this stuff 8)
Yeah you'll especially be missing lots of $$$