Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Familiar Face

Default My Mom

I hadn't planned to post anything, but they say that writing is good for the soul, so here goes ...

We've had a tough week since last Wednesday. Last Wednesday evening I received a phone call from my aunt who was visiting with my Mom, telling me that Mom had been having difficulty breathing, so my aunt had called the ambulance & Mom was in the little hospital that serves the area where she lives. Since the hospital is only about 35 minutes away, my husband and I drove up to check on her. She was on oxygen and medication to help drain fluid from the lungs. When I went back on Thursday afternoon Mom was feeling much better, but had been told she was suffering from congestive heart failure. By Friday things were looking good, but Saturday brought problems. As the nurse described to me, Mom's heart started racing out of control. By the time we got there medication had stablized her and her heart rate was under control. The doctor was optimistic that it would now be a matter of balancing heart medication for her. Unfortunately Sunday morning she had two more episodes of her poor heart racing again. We lost her at about 1:00 p.m. She was 2 weeks short of her 81st birthday. Although neither my brother nor I were able to get there on time, she passed away holding the hand of my dear aunt who was visiting and an aunt who lives within a block of the hospital, so she wasn't alone.

It was hard when my Dad passed away 3 years ago, but I can't believe how much harder it is this time. I take comfort, though, in knowing that Mom didn't suffer, and that she and Dad are together again, enjoying a round of golf together. The support of our spouses and extended family has helped my brothers and I. Time will help.

There are really several things to be thankful for. One important thing is the fact that Mom has generally enjoyed good health. She was always active - and played golf up to last summer. She was looking forward to playing with my aunt this week. Her latest activity has been the Wii game. When she saw the one I bought for my husband Wayne for Christmas, she had to buy one! She bowled 2 or 3 games on the Wii almost every day, and often played 5 or 6 games at a time. Mom rarely complained about anything. She was always cheerful. But she let you know what she thought! To my girls, she has always been known as Memere (Trip, this one's for you!), the person to go to with any question when they were away at school and I wasn't home, or when they needed someone to talk to. At 5 feet tall when she stretched , Mom was a presence to be reckoned with. As my friend in Nova Scotia told the hospital, they had lost a treasure! Mom didn't socialize a lot, preferring to spend time with family, but she touched hearts even outside the family. I think Rollerdonna would agree.

I can't say enough good things about the wonderful care Mom received in the hospital. The doctors and nursing staff are amazing. This is the same care my Dad received before he died. In his case, a nurse who had cared for him a couple of prior visits to the emergency department found out he had been admitted, and made a point of going upstairs to see him. I guess the nurse-to-patient ratio is probably better in a small hospital, but whatever the reason, the staff deserve praise.

Well, we have a memorial service to plan for Friday, so I'd better get moving. I won't be able to lurk around the boards much for the next few days, but will catch up on all the news after.

Thanks for listening!
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Captain

Sounds like your mom was a wonderful lady. Prayers for you and your family. God will take care of you.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Donna, I am so sorry to hear about your Mother. My sincerest sympathies to you and your family.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 16th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Admiral

My condolances to you and your family.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old September 16th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

My thoughts and sympathies go out to you and your family. As long as you have the memories of you Mom she will never truly be gone.

Sincerely,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 16th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Admiral

Your mom sounds like a special lady. This is a hard time for you. My sympathies go out to you and your family.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 16th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Default My Mom

Please accept our condolences.

Judy and Keith
Old September 16th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Donna, how fortunate your Mom enjoyed a long, healthy, and, productive life, and so enjoyed family. Your memories, because of this, will make you smile, forever. This Memere, sends prayers to your family.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 16th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Donna,
So glad that your mom did not pass alone, but holding the hand of a dear one. Know you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Recollect all the happy times - I am sure you have many treasures of the heart that will help you thru these sad days.
Old September 16th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Donna; so sorry to hear of your mom's passing. As you know, Donna and I lost our beloved mother 5 years ago and the pain is still so fresh and i still miss her so much. We used to call my Grandmother (my father's mother) Memere too. Prayers for you and your family.
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Admiral

Donna,

Not only were you lucky to have such a wonderful mother but she was blessed to have you as well.

What a wonderful tribute you gave to her.

With our deepest condolences,

Todd and Fran
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Admiral

I am truly sorry for the recent loss of your Mother. May the memmories and the love comfort you today and always.