Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Beginner

Default Celebrity Millenium - good/bad

Hi there. My husband & I were considering taking our first cruise on Celebrity Millenium. We have looked on different review sites & there seem to be many negative reviews on Celebrity Millenium regarding poor food, scratched & dented cabin furniture, mattresses, poor entertainment performers, etc.
Has anyone been on this ship in the past 3 months & care to comment.
Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2009, 08:16 PM
Admiral

I never had a bad Celebrity cruise.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old September 25th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Celebrity Millenium - good/bad

ucreate,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Hi there. My husband & I were considering taking our first cruise on Celebrity Millenium. We have looked on different review sites & there seem to be many negative reviews on Celebrity Millenium regarding poor food, scratched & dented cabin furniture, mattresses, poor entertainment performers, etc.
Please be aware that there are some people who post gross exaggerations, and sometimes utter falsehoods, about cruise experiences in the hope of extorting money from the cruise lines.

My godson was aboard GTS Celebrity Millennium very recently, and reported nothing of the sort.

And like Manuel, I have never been on a bad Celebrity cruise!

Norm.
Old September 25th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Beginner

Thank you both, we really appreciate your reports.
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Captain

Default Re: Celebrity Millenium - good/bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucreate
Hi ucreate,

There have been many reports about some of the older Celebrity ships about those very things from many different posters. The food and service are about the same as any mass market cruise line and I have always found them to be good.

One point that you should really make yourself at least aware is the fact that there is a design problem that affects the propulsion system from time to time on the Millennium, Infinity and Summit. The last time the Millennium had a problem was just in early March of this year. A search on "POD problems" will give you all the information, is you desire to check it out.

I would advise checking out when the last refurbishment was for the Millennium. For a period of time after refurbishment the ship should be in good condition.

Unfortunately my last cruise on Celebrity the ship did have one of these mechanical problems and it was handled very poorly by Celebrity. So, I can say yes, I did have a horrible cruise on Celebrity. With those pesky propulsion problems on Celebrity it is just luck of the draw as to whether you have a good cruise or a bad one.

Hope some of this helps.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Unfortunately my last cruise on Celebrity the ship did have one of these mechanical problems and it was handled very poorly by Celebrity. So, I can say yes, I did have a horrible cruise on Celebrity.
The poster asked if anyone had been on this ship in the past 3 months. I believe your experience was more like 3 years wasn't it?
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 7th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Captain

Kuki,

You are correct that my unfortunate Celebrity cruise was about three years ago.
Some always seem to want to make this problem about me and that is just not so. This problem is about some Celebrity ships. It can affect all passengers as it has in the past and this same exact problem has happened at least five times after my cruise.

Since I have read positives reports from someone whose last mclass ship was over four years ago and another report from someone's godson, please allow me to offer a recent report about the Millennium.

A friend of mine was on the Millennium March 1-15, 2009 cruise from Sidney to Auckland. Same exact problem happened to them. They missed the first port of Phillip Island and then they missed what was to have been the highlight of the cruise Christ Church. Passengers received the same poor and miss-information that we did on our cruise.

A prime example of that cruise was that when it was time to leave Dunedin, the port just before the missed port of Christ Church, Celebrity announced that they were going to have an unscheduled stay over night in port. This was due to what Celebrity claimed was "bad weather". As our friends sat on their balcony that night they watched the Holland America Volendam sail along with various cargo ships coming and going into port.

Because of "bad weather" there was not even any compensation from Celebrity for missing the Port of Christ Church and the passengers only received the usual $100 onboard credit for missing a great deal of their cruise. I agree that the ship was no doubt not able to sail safely because of the break down and safety should always come first, but IMHO, honesty should also come first.

Before, I get slammed again, let me point out that I am only reporting the facts and most certainly the recurring problem with the propulsion system on some Celebrity does not happen that often, but they do happen and IMHO they will continue to happen in the future on the Celebrity Millennium, Infinity and Summit.

That said, there are also many good points about the Millennium. I love the theater on this class of ship. The food and service were also on a par with other mainstream cruise lines.

If this was a one-time problem it would not even be worth much discussion. Unfortunately with this problem, that is not the case.
Facts and information is what most of us here on cruisemates expect and want.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old October 7th, 2009, 08:46 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

OMG, please, please, please, let it go!!!!!! It is so tiring!!!!!
How can one be so obsessed??
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsea
I certainly agree.

When one becomes so absessed it's hard to have an open mind.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old October 10th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

It is boring to those of us who already know and don't have a cruise planned on one of those ships, but unfortunately it is true, the ships have pod problems and sometimes it rears up - that is why RCL still has a major lawsuit against the manufacturer.

You have give Nurse Debra credit for consistency even though you may feel like throttling her at the same time.

Botom line - of you REALLY care about every single port you are supposed to visit then the pod situation could be a problem - however most people who take a cruise are there for the experience of being at sea and seeing some ports, but they are more flexible about the itinerary.

If you want a Celebrity ship, the Millennium class is beautiful and a bargain compared to the even more beautiful Solstice class. But go for the ship more than the ports.
Old October 10th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
If you want a Celebrity ship, the Millennium class is beautiful and a bargain compared to the even more beautiful Solstice class. But go for the ship more than the ports.
That sounds like a plan. I did enjoy my three cruises aboard Millennium class ships. As soon as I can I will book another cruise aboard one of those beautifull ships.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old October 10th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
It is boring to those of us who already know and don't have a cruise planned on one of those ships, but unfortunately it is true, the ships have pod problems and sometimes it rears up - that is why RCL still has a major lawsuit against the manufacturer.

You have give Nurse Debra credit for consistency even though you may feel like throttling her at the same time.

Botom line - of you REALLY care about every single port you are supposed to visit then the pod situation could be a problem - however most people who take a cruise are there for the experience of being at sea and seeing some ports, but they are more flexible about the itinerary.

Paul,

Thanks for being the voice of reason about this problem. As a suggestion to those whose only response to what could be a serious problem on a future cruise is "let it go" they could try just not reading my posts instead of trying to suppress information from those who may be new here and are not even aware of what could happen.

I do understand that my information about these ongoing POD problems probably is boring to those who already know about them. Those who do know about these problems have already made their decision, either way, and that is fine.

What about those who may not be aware of the possibility of encountering this particular problem and either ask a specific question about one of these ships or those who are new to these boards?

Cruisemates does give readers the whole story and not just what a few people would like others to hear about.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old October 11th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Admiral

Default PROBLEMS ON PACIFIC PRINCESS

On the cruise on the Pacific Princess between March and April the divers were called down to St. Lucia to fix a problem with the ship and this was I believe the second time on this itinery... Oh yes. I believe we have pictures of their work area if you don't believe me.. But Nurse Debra.. your problem was three years ago..it's time to get over it.. Did I tell you about the dangerously designed jacuzzi on the Brilliance of the Seas and my accident on the first day...spent the entire cruise in a cast on pain meds...I;ve gotten over it..and hopefully RC fixed learned from my suit (which I won, btw)..Yes, I missed a port on a Celebrity ship when there was turmoil in Morocco and they substituted Cartegena, Spain..yechh.. a poor substitute.. But on the next cruise we did get to Casablanca. You just have to read the fine print on your cruise tickets.. Oh I also remember on another ship where they lost power for a short time...no electricity..we were dead in the water.. As for cutting the Century in half.. NCL started that with the NCL Majesty I cruised that ship the minimum of 12 times to Bermuda.. So, that when they wanted to update the Century with addiitional balconies they did it innovately..what's wrong with that...BIGGER is not always better and I prefer smaller ship myself and Celebrity has several of them and I hope to sail them all.
Old October 11th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Admiral

Default PROBLEMS ON PACIFIC PRINCESS

On the cruise on the Pacific Princess through the Amazon between March and April the divers were called down to St. Lucia to fix a problem with the propellar and this was I believe the second time on this itinerry...We have pictures of their work area if you don't believe me.. But Nurse Debra.. your problem was three years ago..it's time to get over it.. Did I tell you about the dangerously designed jacuzzi on the Brilliance of the Seas and my accident on the first day...spent the entire cruise in a cast on pain meds...I've gotten over it..and hopefully RC learned from my suit and besides the jacuzzi the glass staircase in the atrium were problems (which I won, btw)..Yes, I missed a port on a Celebrity ship when there was turmoil in Morocco and they substituted Cartegena, Spain, . a poor substitute.. But on the next cruise we did get to Casablanca. You just have to read the fine print on your cruise tickets.. Oh I also remember on another ship where they lost power for a short time...no electricity..we were dead in the water.. As for cutting the Century in half.. NCL started that with the NCL Majesty I cruised that ship the minimum of 12 times to Bermuda.. So, that when they wanted to update the Century with addiitional balconies they did it innovately..what's wrong with that...BIGGER is not always better and I prefer smaller ship myself and Celebrity has several of them and I hope to sail them all.
Old October 11th, 2009, 09:30 AM
First Mate

Just a suggestion, but perhaps N D can add a line to her signature regarding the pod problems with the M class ships (Constellation excluded). This way she won't have to find a way to insert her "helpful" facts into 90% of her responses, regardless of the threads subject. It would save a lot of time.
Old October 13th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Captain

Unless I forgot the title of this thread, I think it was "Millennium the good and the bad"; I will try to bring this thread back on topic.

I also could go on for ever about personal (me) experiences that were not the best, but instead will stick to problems that can impact ALL passengers on the Millennium.

The latest reported propulsion failure happened on the Millennium just a few short months ago. The only question I have to ask is, how anyone would feel if they had flown to Australia only to find out they were unknowingly sailing on a ship that had a recurring defect that was going to cause all of the passengers to miss a lot of what they had spent thousands of dollars to see.

As another poster said on another thread, different personal experiences are one thing but a systemic problem that can impact ALL passengers onboard a cruise ship is quite another. These propulsion problems have ruined many cruises in the past and IMHO they will continue to happen to unsuspecting passengers in the future. All the spin or posts, in the world, trying to dismiss this problem will not change the facts.

Trinton, Glad to hear you had a good time with no problems on your recent Infinity cruise. I agree that when things are working those mclass ships are as good as any other mainstream cruise ships, but when they are not; well I have the feeling that you have to be on board to understand.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old October 15th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Admiral

So if a propulsion problem arises and the ship slows down, do we get to stay on the ship longer?

I could handle that.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel
So if a propulsion problem arises and the ship slows down, do we get to stay on the ship longer?

I could handle that.

TM
Hi Manuel,

Good one! Actually when there is a propulsion problem on the Celebrity Millennium, Infinity or Summit, you do get to stay on the ship longer if you are late getting back to your disembarkation port. On the bright side, I can assure you that all the extra sea days will make it seem like you are on the ship much longer!

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old October 31st, 2009, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the info Debra, since I am retired I would love to spend an extra day or two on any ship.

Maybe I can bribe the Captain into slowing the ship down since we never had propulsion problems in any of my cruises.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old November 17th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsea View Post
Just a suggestion, but perhaps N D can add a line to her signature regarding the pod problems with the M class ships (Constellation excluded). This way she won't have to find a way to insert her "helpful" facts into 90% of her responses, regardless of the threads subject. It would save a lot of time.
Rich,

Actually, not a bad idea. How many lines can you have in your signature?

I agree that at times I have been guilty of wandering off topic, especially when I read posts that appear to be more interested in promoting instead of informing.

I think I understand what you are saying, that it is not alright for me to wander off topic but it is fine for someone who wants to totally change the subject matter of a thread by posting two threads with a rant about "problems on the Pacific Princess" on a thread titled "Celebrity Millennium". Problems real or imagined about a ship from a different cruise line have absolutely no relevance on a thread about the Celebrity Millennium. I just never hear any complaints about these kinds tactics. Maybe a little fair and balanced treatment would be a good idea.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old November 18th, 2009, 11:31 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra View Post
Rich,

Actually, not a bad idea. How many lines can you have in your signature?

I agree that at times I have been guilty of wandering off topic, especially when I read posts that appear to be more interested in promoting instead of informing.

I think I understand what you are saying, that it is not alright for me to wander off topic but it is fine for someone who wants to totally change the subject matter of a thread by posting two threads with a rant about "problems on the Pacific Princess" on a thread titled "Celebrity Millennium". Problems real or imagined about a ship from a different cruise line have absolutely no relevance on a thread about the Celebrity Millennium. I just never hear any complaints about these kinds tactics. Maybe a little fair and balanced treatment would be a good idea.

Debra
You can just make your signature like those who list their past cruises, only you can list the sailings of the M class ships that have been affected by the pod problems!

I don't spend much time on the Princess boards because I prefer Celebrity, even though I have enjoyed my 2 Princess sailings & will definitely sail with them again, & am aware that there are some over there who have become tiresome with their constant bashing. I give the same credence to those posts which always bash Princess as I do to those which always bash Celebrity: zero.

I feel that everyone should disregard the opinions of those who either paint a rosy picture or constantly bash a cruise line; any cruise line.
Old November 30th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Captain

Rich,

I do like your idea of listing the dates of every Celebrity mclass ship that has had a propulsion problem in my signature, but that would be talking some 50-70 lines if all the dates of cruises were listed that have been affected by this problem and I am sure that I don't even know all the dates. Just saying hello might fill a page on the board and I doubt if the editors would appreciate me.

I agree with you about disregarding some posts. I just like to read facts and disregard posts designed to push a particular cruise line or trying to hide any defects of their particular favorite cruise line by constantly trying to down play factual posts.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old March 1st, 2010, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Debra, are you a nurse or that just a nickname?

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old September 9th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
Debra, are you a nurse or that just a nickname?

TM
Manuel,

I just found out that Captain Kangaroo was not really a Captain; in fact he wasn't even a Kangaroo!!!

To answer the question that really seems to bother you; the answer to your question of whether or not I am really a nurse is

***** attention Debra it is time for your weekly backup - all open sessions will now be closed - any data entered after this warning will be lost *****

Winston Churchill

Old September 9th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse debra View Post
manuel,

i just found out that captain kangaroo was not really a captain; in fact he wasn't even a kangaroo!!! Lol

to answer the question that really seems to bother you; the answer to your question of whether or not i am really a nurse is

***** attention debra it is time for your weekly backup - all open sessions will now be closed - any data entered after this warning will be lost *****
Interesting!

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old September 9th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Admiral

Debra, I asked you a friendly question and come up with with a very silly response.

So much for integrity.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old September 10th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsea View Post
Some people need to get a life!

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011