CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Making pre-cruise reservations online for tours, etc (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/368381-making-pre-cruise-reservations-online-tours-etc.html)

Paul Motter September 29th, 2009 01:40 PM

Making pre-cruise reservations online for tours, etc

How many of you make reservations online for anything pre-cruise?

On my upcoming Oasis cruise I was able to book all of my show times (Ice show, Aqua Theater, Comedy Club) and my alternative dining reservations.

They actually charged my credit card for the dinner reservation, which surprised me.

How many of you pre-book cruise tours, spa appointments or anything else online before your cruise?

Were your credit cards charged and how did you feel about that if they were?

Delft September 29th, 2009 01:58 PM

I wont book things like that ahead, nor do I. that wont change because I will decide when on board what I feel like doing and when. How am I to know after a day of running about that I feel like eating a particular meal or watch a certain show? I may be tired, I may be full of energy, no we like to plan and book things as they come along.

If my credit card were to be charged...oh no no no, that I dont agree with at all, but then like on Oasis they would have to do that because there is limited seating to things with many people, and people know this so they will all try and book ahead, maybe charging the card is a way to make sure the people will show up.

Paul Motter September 29th, 2009 02:18 PM

I agree with you that a cruise should consist of doing what you feel like doing whenever. That is part of the whole idea of cruising.

But there are also people who love to pre-plan everything and also want to make sure they don't miss certain things. For them this is a convenience.

I don't think anyone really knows yet how much this will be a "necessity" for Oasis. I am hoping it is not one, but if it is then you have to give Royal Caribbean credit for being ready for it. They have this entire system designed and operating before the ship is even launched.

They might find that almost everyone thinks like you (us) - and do not want to preplan anything. That will work beautifully if they show the shows frequently enough. I really hope it works out that way.

What will probably happen is that most people will pre-book things at first. The determining factor will be how well people who DON'T pre-book can still find seats. If they can accomodate people easily without reservations then they can make the reservation system redundant and people won't use it so much. That should be their goal.

It will be a real test of the staff onboard. If they just fall back on the reservation system and force people to use it then its too bad.

VegasCrossfire September 29th, 2009 02:31 PM

Re: Making pre-cruise reservations online for tours, etc

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter
How many of you make reservations online for anything pre-cruise?

On my upcoming Oasis cruise I was able to book all of my show times (Ice show, Aqua Theater, Comedy Club) and my alternative dining reservations.

I know you said you were charged for your dinner reservations....but are they actually charging for the shows as well....or are they "free" pre-reserved seats?

Paul Motter September 29th, 2009 02:34 PM

No - they don't charge for any of the shows. Only the dinner reservations were charged.

NCL will be charging for entrance to some of their nightclubs when Epic debuts, but I doubt they will take reservations online for that.

I admit I was a bit surprised by the dinner being charged to my vard right away. I thought the credit card would just "hold" my reservation, but they actually charged my card. I saw the charge on my statement.

VegasCrossfire September 29th, 2009 02:39 PM

Well - I can hardly wait until after your cruise to see what you think of the Oasis.

I'm looking forward to sailing on her someday (after the prices come down a little). I know I loved the Freedom - so I think the Oasis will be even that much better.

So far, I think RCCL has done a pretty good job of keeping their huge ships from being overly crowded at any venue. The only time we felt the ship was crowded was when we first got on board and EVERYONE was at the Windjammer for lunch!!

blueliner September 29th, 2009 03:42 PM

While on the Adventure OTS last year, I pre-reserved our specialty dining and my credit card was charged ahead of time. They also charged my card for the pre-reserved shore excursions. I don't mind that, if I can pay for that ahead of time, then it keeps my onboard account a little lower and that makes my wife happy! I know you pay for it either way, but my wife freaks out at the end of every cruise when we get the onboard bill the morning of departure, even though she is the biggest spender of the two of us! So the more I can prepay on RCI the better for me. On our upcoming RCI cruise to Europe next year, we will have $450 onboard credit, so with a lot of pre-reserving stuff like spa appointments, shore excursions and specialty dining, I'm hoping for a very low bill and less "Freak out" from the wife next year.

On our Princess cruise coming up, I pre-reserved a shore excursion and they did not take a credit card, just put it on our booking and will be charged to the onboard account.

Sid1962 September 29th, 2009 04:16 PM

When we sailed Constellation this past March/April, I made reservations for the specialty restaurant through the Captains Club. My credit card was not charged. The charge appeared on my SeaPass account.

I guess this wasn't really on line, so maybe it's different.

CruisinK n J September 29th, 2009 04:43 PM

Making Pre-Cruise Reservations for Tours, Etc.

I make shore excursion reservations on line. I made two of them for our Hawaii cruise back in July and will make a whale watching tour date when the season starts in December. I like being able to do this ahead of time rather than be disappointed at the last minute.

Judy

Paul Motter September 29th, 2009 05:05 PM

From what I hear only RCCL pre-charges the card, not Celebrity, Azamara or any other cruise line.

I will be on the first press cruise for Oasis as well, so I will be on for two nights starting November 20th. Then I am going back on my own for the four-day December 1st. I think you really need to see it with passengers to get the real feel for it.

Mike M September 29th, 2009 05:12 PM

I have made "a" reservation with Carnival for a shore excursion and my credit card was not charged until we took the excursion. On Azamara we pre-reserved the specialty dining and it was put on our onboard account after we had our dinner.

It seems the Royal Caribbean Cruise lines charges at time of excursion or dining reservation and Carnival does not charge until you actually fulfill the reservation.

If you purchase anything from the Bon Voyage department (gifts, alcohol, packages) your credit card is immediately charged.

Take care,
Mike

nlb1050 September 29th, 2009 09:17 PM

I have made pre cruise reservations many times for excursions and now only twice did I pay for them at the time of booking. THe first was with MSC and you can only prebook excursions thru your TA and they must be paid for at the time reservation is made. Then th other day I prebooked and excursion for our upcoming cruise on the Carnival Valor and they requested cc info to complete the reservation, I guess this is new.

One thing nice about paying at the time of making the reservation is it will not be added to your SS card.