Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 30th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Default Need Good Alfredo Sauce Recipe

Does anyone have a good alfredo sauce recipe for fettuccine alfredo?

Got a hankering, and want to make it at home!

Thanks very much!!

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Very simple...melt butter (real butter) about a half a stick. once melted and starting to brown sprinkle flour until you've made a roux (a paste) turn the heat down to medium if you're the kind of guy who cooks on high. Gradually add milk or half and half and stir constantly also adding parmesan cheese AND GARLIC TO TASTE until it starts thickening. Add about a half cup to a cup of white wine and some parsley. Voila alfredo sauce. Do not let it burn, keep stirring. If it doesn't thicken fast enough, turn up the heat. if it starts to get lumpy, turn the heat down.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Admiral

I like the traditional Alfredo sauce with Beenie Weenie suggested. But I also love the Alfredo sauce made with cream cheese, because of the cream cheese it's a thicker sauce and really sticks to the noddles. It's Also easy to make. I do use fresh garlic instead of the garlic power and sometimes I toss in mushrooms and chicken. Very Important use real butter NOT margarine.http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quick-a...ce/Detail.aspx

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 30th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
Very simple...melt butter (real butter) about a half a stick. once melted and starting to brown sprinkle flour until you've made a roux (a paste) turn the heat down to medium if you're the kind of guy who cooks on high. Gradually add milk or half and half and stir constantly also adding parmesan cheese AND GARLIC TO TASTE until it starts thickening. Add about a half cup to a cup of white wine and some parsley. Voila alfredo sauce. Do not let it burn, keep stirring. If it doesn't thicken fast enough, turn up the heat. if it starts to get lumpy, turn the heat down.
pretty much it right there, and let me stress do what you can to find and use REAL parmesean cheese if you want a really good sauce. By all means NEVER use the pre-grated bottles of immitation stuff that Kraft sells, and even most blocks you would buy in most grocery stores are not actual real parmesean chese if you look closely enough.

Real parmesean chese MUST come from Parma, everything else is imitation, and there is a HUGE difference in flavor profile. If you live in a big city most high end grocery stores, and even many of the signature stores of the chain stores like Kroger, HEB, Randall's, etc do now carry the real thing if you look around.

Carnival Conquest April 2008
Carnival Conquest April 2009

Old September 30th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Admiral

Do a google search:

Tyler Florence, Ultimate Fetuccini Alfredo

You can't go wrong with this recipe, Promise!
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Palm
Do a google search:

Tyler Florence, Ultimate Fetuccini Alfredo

You can't go wrong with this recipe, Promise!
OMG I never thought I would consider my alfredo sauce as being light, or low fat....that is until I read Tyler Florence's recipe. Wow, decadent, but oh it sounds delicious!

Old October 1st, 2009, 12:28 AM
Admiral

Beenie,

I'm having difficulty finding the Tyler Florence, Ultimate Fettuccini Alfredo recipe -- can you provide the link??!

Thanks!

Old October 1st, 2009, 03:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTodd
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
Quote:
pretty much it right there, and let me stress do what you can to find and use REAL parmesean cheese if you want a really good sauce. By all means NEVER use the pre-grated bottles of immitation stuff that Kraft sells, and even most blocks you would buy in most grocery stores are not actual real parmesean chese if you look closely enough.
Real parmesean chese MUST come from Parma, everything else is imitation, and there is a HUGE difference in flavor profile. If you live in a big city most high end grocery stores, and even many of the signature stores of the chain stores like Kroger, HEB, Randall's, etc do now carry the real thing if you look around.
Real parmesan is very hard to find in Florida. As a kid growing up near Boston we always had the real thing. I remember my Mother grating it at the table right from the wedge of cheese on to our food. It was very sharp and oh so good. I have not had cheese like that in many years.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 1st, 2009, 05:37 AM
Admiral

Where the heck you been hiding out, Dean? Good to hear from you again.

I don't know the recipe per se`, but the Alfredo sauce I'm used to, having married a New York Italian is stupidly simple, is not previously cooked and consists of combining in a mixing bowl only the following three ingredients: egg yolks (3 or 4 I think), heavy cream and Parmesan Cheese. You blend those three ingredients together with a wire whisk and then pour it over hot `al dente Fettucini that you immediately before had tossed with hot melted butter (about a half stick or so). Don't worry about the egg yolks, they "cook" as you mix the sauce with the hot Pasta.

Fran's parents were Napolitan and I'm sure there are probably as many Alfredo sauce recipes as there are Italians in New York of which her's is but one. It is still my favorite (probably because hers was the first I ever had).

One variation Fran does that I especially love is substituting sour cream for the heavy cream.

Obviously as Beenie-Weenie pointed out about Tyler Florence's recipe(one which I have yet to read), Fran's is certainly not for a cholesterol limited low fat diet!

I'm sure some folks would say such a method might well result in food poisoning but I assure you that all of Fran's family and all of our friends have always had it prepared in the above manner and nobody has ever got sick.

Todd
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:52 AM
Admiral

Dean, sorry I didn't see your request until this morning.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ipe/index.html

Looks like a good recipe, but very very rich.

Old October 1st, 2009, 07:36 AM
Admiral

Thanks BW for posting it. I just saw request this A.M. as well.

Hi Mean Dean...how's it going?
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:33 AM
Admiral

Mean Dean..I would just call your closest Olive Garden and have them whip you up a batch

did you happen to check out the NBA Hall of Fame induction speeches...what's wrong with MJ
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:42 AM
Admiral

Okay I remember hearing the history of this sauce while I was researching last year for my trip to Italy. So I wanted to find it again. It's very interesting here is a link.
http://www.ochef.com/1336.htm
Here is a Italian recipe for Alla Panna (Alfredo Sauce) I think I might try this one out.
From The Fine Art of Italian Cooking, by Giuliano Bugialli

[This recipe assumes you are using fresh tagliatelle or fettuccine, either homemade or store-bought. If you are using dried pasta, you will have to cook it as long as required by the instructions on the package.]

Ingredients:

12 tablespoons (6 ounces) sweet butter
2 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
Pinch of salt
4 ounces freshly grated Parmigiano
Freshly ground white pepper
Freshly grated nutmeg

Instructions:

Place a stockpot containing a large quantity of cold water on the heat. After about 10 minutes, when the water is giving off steam but is not yet boiling, place a frying pan containing the butter over the stockpot to melt the butter. Keep the butter warm, but do not allow it to boil.

When the water is boiling vigorously, add coarse salt to taste, then the fresh pasta. The pasta will rise to the surface almost immediately. Quickly drain it in a colander.

Place the frying pan containing the butter over very low heat and add the cooked pasta. Toss gently with two forks.

Add the heavy cream, unheated, and the Parmigiano, and keep tossing gently until the sauce is homogenously creamy (about 1 minute). Sprinkle with white pepper and nutmeg and serve.

Yield: Serves 6

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
Mean Dean..I would just call your closest Olive Garden and have them whip you up a batch
That advice could be considered criminal in some parts. Olive Garden is atrocious. Their Italian food is a poorer representation of Italian food than McDonalds is of hamburgers. An Italian place that can't even make a decent red sauce?

Olive Garden makes a decent salad, great peach tea, and a menu full of utter crap. Please don't ever tell anyone Italian to go eat at that abomination (I am second generation Italian-American ...).

Carnival Conquest April 2008
Carnival Conquest April 2009

Old October 1st, 2009, 04:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Prepare a standard box of fettuccine according to instruction on box or package.

A real Alfredo sauce contains four ingredients:

Butter
Garlic
Cream
Parmesan Cheese

I make it a bit different: I do not "measure" but go by visual when cooking so these are EWAGs (Educated Wild Ass Guesses) You may want to increase or decrease the amounts.

Prepare a standard box of fettuccine according to instruction on box or package.

Four - six cloves of garlic: Minced
About 2 Tbsp of olive oil (allows you to cook with butter without burning)
1/2 to 3/4 stick of BUTTER
One cup of heavy cream
1/2 to 2/3 cup of a good Parmesan cheese: A Regiano has a nice flavor. Add additional cheese to taste.

While the pasta is cooking (usually ten minutes) prepare your sauce.

Use about a 10" sauté pan and heat the olive oil to just when it starts to smoke: Turn down to medium heat and add the garlic.

Sauté the garlic until it becomes translucent

Add the butter and cook under medium heat until melted:

Add cream and increase heat to medium high: Cook cream/butter mixture until cream reduces and starts to thicken. You can tell by when you gently stir the sauce you start to see the bottom of the pan.

Lower heat to medium: Add the Parmesan and gently stir until melted.

When pasta is ready add one cup of cold water to the water: Drain and return to the same pot. Add sauce to the pasta, toss and serve.

Fettuccine Alfredo is a side dish but you can make it a main course by adding sautéed chicken, shrimp, sautéed mushrooms or just about anything else. I like to add broccoli, baby carrots and peas.

Making a flour based sauce will stop separation and are ok for large quantities but if you do not cook your roux long enough or burn the butter you will have a pasty tasting and/or burnt sauce. Either way it will be a "thick" sauce. Most fettuccines you find on ships or at places like Olive Garden are flour based sauces.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 1st, 2009, 10:07 PM
Admiral

HoustonTodd...in case you missed it , i was being factitious which is something I enjoy doing on these boards when my good friend makes a posting