Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Gotta Love Priceline

After booking our January cruise on Radiance I figured I better get some air and a pre-cruise hotel.

I picked up great, non-stop, flights and paid for the almost all of that with Amex rewards points. So that was cheap.

The best was when I was checking out what hotels were close to the port, airport and other things in San Diego. I saw the downtown area was the best bet. So I bid $70 for a 4* in the downtown area and sure enough I got the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina. The lowest online price was $318. So for $70 plus the $19 in taxes I got a $318 hotel for $89. I like it.

Take care,
Mike(A Long time Priceline user)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Mike,, I always use priceline for booking hotels and car rentals,,, I love priceline,,,I'll never pay full price if I can help it.

My last trip to St. Maarten we used Amex reward points and priceline to book a hotel in D.C. b/4 we flew out.

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old October 12th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Yep, our 59.00 a night stay in Fll, at the Renaissance, and our 18.00 a day Alamo midsize was a good thing indeed. Thanks Priceline.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 12th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Yep my 45.00 pre- pre cruise night at the Orlando Airport Marriott was great--especially for a Friday night stay and the going rate was 139.99
Cheers
April
Old October 12th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have never used Priceline.....I guess I heard you have no choices - you just pay and "accept" what they give you.
I will have to give them a try - it sounds like I either heard wrong information or they have changed.
Thanks for the heads-up!
1979 NCL Skyward, 1981 NCL Starward, 1984 NCL Starward, 1989 Carnival Tropicale, 1989 NCL Starward, 1992 NCL Norway, 1993 Regency Regent Sea, 1995 NCL Windward, 1997 RCCL Legend, 1998 RCCL Legend, 2002 RCCL Grandeur, 2004 HAL Ryndam, 2004 RCCL Explorer, 2005 RCCL Splendour, 2005 RCCL Serenade, 2006 RCCL Vision, 2007 RCCL Freedom, 2008 RCCL Monarch, 2009 RCCL Mariner

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 12th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Once you commit, that's it, you won't know where, till they accept your bid....you need to know where you want to stay, and the **** rating of the hotel...go to biddingfortravel.com to see what the going accepted bids are..that's where I learned they were getting that 59.00 price in Oct....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 12th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I need to learn how to use them. Those are great prices.

Can you do airlines too?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Never again!! I want to know where before I pay for a room. Once I was looking for a place in Boston and got stuck in Revere. I grew up in the area and know that Revere on Rt 1 is NOT where I want to be. The only saving grace was that they did have a shuttle service that got me to the airport as early as I needed to be there. I get good prices on Orbitz and hotels.com and at least I get to choose the place.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 13th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Captain

Default Priceline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2
Never again!! I want to know where before I pay for a room. I get good prices on Orbitz and hotels.com and at least I get to choose the place.

Laura
I've used Priceline a couple of dozen times, and only one time was I disappointed in the hotel. I'm willing to take the risk if I can get a $200 hotel room for $50 or $60. If I REALLY, REALLY didn't like the hotel/location, I'd just eat the cost and book somewhere else.

I just got a $150 room in Rochester, NY for $64 with Priceline.
Old October 13th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Nice job Mike!

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Admiral

HMMMM,,,wish I could bid on Priceline for parking at the port of Miami. That $20 per day is getting kind of "out of hand" IMO.....

"SKY"

O.K.,,,before you say it,,,yes,,,I know I could bid on a hotel that would let me stay there, then shuttle me over to the port while my car stays at the hotel,,,but I want to park near the ship. 8)
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster
HMMMM,,,wish I could bid on Priceline for parking at the port of Miami. That $20 per day is getting kind of "out of hand" IMO.....

"SKY"

O.K.,,,before you say it,,,yes,,,I know I could bid on a hotel that would let me stay there, then shuttle me over to the port while my car stays at the hotel,,,but I want to park near the ship. 8)
You said it. I don't know which is cheaper. Booking a park and sail hotel or going priceline and paying $15 per day to park at the Long Beach cruise terminal. They just raised the price from $12 per day.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I really believe that if you do some research and learn the different zones for different cities you won't be disappointed.

You also have to only bid on 5, 4, or 3 star hotels.

Almost all the people I've heard from who don't like Priceline because they got stuck in a hotel too far from where they wanted to be or the place was a dump either didn't bid in the correct zone or went cheap and bid on a 2* or 1* hotel. If you go with a 4* or 5* hotel you will not be disappointed unless you are ridiculously picky. If you want to put a $20 bid on a 2* hotel then you will probably end up in something less than desirable. Then again you could get a night at a Hampton Inn and be very happy.

If there are specific things that you need/want/or must have such as: Handicapped room, a bay view, free shuttle, pets allowed, 24 hour room service then you should book conventionally. I personally don't understand the overwhelming need or importance that people have for "free shuttle" service. The amount you save is far more than the taxi ride is to most ports. If you bid in the same zone as most of the ports your cab ride will be less than $20.

To my best calculation I have used Priceline about 30 times and have only been disappointed once. That was the very first time I used it and grossly overbid and received a hotel, near LAX, for the same price I could have got it online. I quickly learned what "not" to do.

If you put a little time and effort into learning the ropes you'll be rewarded for your effort. The biddingfortravel.com site is the best to learn how to use Priceline.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 13th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, I'm a convert now. In the past I've always used hotels.com for my hotel booking, and always been happy with the prices and service that I got through them. And I'll admit that I am a control freak so giving up the final choosing to Priceline was tough for me to do ... but I just booked a room for my wife and I in Tampa in April. For $60 a night we're staying in the Sheraton Tampa River Walk, which normally runs $127 a night. That's an AWESOME deal. I will use this name your price again in the future, I'm over the moon with the deal I just got.

http://www.sheratontampariverwalk.com

Carnival Conquest April 2008
Carnival Conquest April 2009

Old October 13th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster
"SKY"

Sky, I was wondering if it would be cheaper to take the train to Miami from Lakeland. When I went on Liberty I was chatting with a couple from Lakeland and they did that. She said it was about $125 rt for the both of them.
I plan to check out shuttles and taxis if I ever cruise from Tampa.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 13th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Tampa's parking isn't quite as bad. It was $14 per day last month. Port Canaveral was $15 per day, and MIAMI was $20 per day. Haven't done Ft. Lauderdale lately, but I'd bet they are getting right up there with Miami. I'd enjoy riding the train, (sure would beat the stress of driving) but the lovely Mrs. Jones probably wouldn't go for it. It really isn't too bad to drive down to Lauderdale, or Miami. It's a lot worse driving BACK after the cruise. It might be a hassle getting all the luggage on and off the train, and finding transportation from the train station to the port.

"SKY"