Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Why is it that......

For many of us....we come home from a cruise, and, get sick...we got home Saturday, and, Bruce got sick immediately, and I got sick yesterday.

You too?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Default SIMPLE REASON

For years I would go back to work ater a cruise or Caribbean island... and it finally dawned on me.. IT';S THE AIR QUALITY I THE PLANES!!! Seriously Trip.. I would come down with bronchitis right after a vacation.. The M.D.s where I worked commented on it.. Now, I take an antibiiotic two or three days before flying back to this country.. The air and germs on planes are recycled...It works. I've been taking Biaxin..
Old October 16th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Admiral

Maybe you finally took the time to look over your final bill and got sticker shock, or maybe you finally counted up how many frozen thingees you had actually drank in a week and it all hit you at once ??

Kidding-- it could have been the change in weather and as someone said , the plane trip--I sometimes get sinus infections after flying.
Old October 16th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Default M.D.'S

My M.D.s I shared committees with especially on a Tuesday would comment about (my boss too) my being sick....it was an ongoing joke my coughing and hacking after I got back.. Parrot Pop isn't bothered, but I am..and maybe it was the shock of going back to work..lol but after reading an article about the poor air quality....I don't take chances anymore..just pass the antibiotcs please...
Old October 16th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Admiral

I wouldn't be surprised if the air quality on planes has alot to do with it.
I've also been sick post-cruise with a severe respiratory infection I put down to spending too much time breathing in the hot tub steam/germs/chemicals/.

My aunt used to bring us something from the States called Airborne, which is supposed to boost your immune system when travelling. I've noticed it is now available in Canada, and since I have some, maybe I should try it for my next cruise!

donna

p.s. hope you feel better fast Trip!
Old October 16th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Default AIR BORNE

AS A matter of fact Donna, Parrot Pop has used it.. Supposedly, if you listen to the experts it has no effect.. but it can't hurt...
Old October 16th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I noticed that before,but I thought it was just all the stuff you did on the ship. I have never left a cruise, and said, "Boy do I feel rested." I guess I should try it sometime.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 16th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Admiral

It can't jus be the air in planes, because we don't have to fly to the ports and I get sick after too. This time it took until Wed to hit me good. And we got back on Sun.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old October 16th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
I noticed that before,but I thought it was just all the stuff you did on the ship. I have never left a cruise, and said, "Boy do I feel rested." I guess I should try it sometime.
You need to cruise with me and the lovely Mrs. Jones Luanne. We never leave the ship, and we sit by the pool and read, or listen to music. Bottom line, we TAKE IT EASY for the duration of the cruise, and enjoy being waited on hand and foot, and taken care of. None of that stressful "goin' ashore" for us. Just enjoy the ride!

"SKY"
Old October 16th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I told you one day I will. I promise!!
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 18th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Admiral

Trip,

Fran became extremely sick the afternoon we returned from our first cruise in '06. She had been diagnosed with Leukemia the week before we departed. The Doctor and I decided that even though he made the diagnosis to me in private because he knew we were so excited about going on our first cruise, he felt that even though her WBC of 125 confirmed his diagnosis, he felt she would be fine for the cruise and we would sit down with her when she returned. My wife's niece who hosted us on the cruise and subsequent stay arranged a visit to her doctor (who was informed about her recent diagnosis). He treated her for pneumonia and it worked out okay except she spent virtually her entire post cruise week's state in bed in the hotel.

Upon our return, her WBC had exploded to a stratospheric 278 and we learned following her initial oncology visit, that the leukemia was only a part of the story and that she also had Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Subsequently a conclusion was reached that her recent illness was probably something she picked up on the ship but which, had her immune system been not so suppressed, would not have occurred.

Todd