Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Default Walnuts

For those who read the morning posts, I finally finished cleaning up the walnuts after of course breaking my own......BACK... bending over to pick them up. I swear, I thought about getting on my hands and knees and crawling around to gather them all up but then figured somebody would see me.

At any rate, I am ordering Beenie Weenie's suggestion post haste! Either that Mike, or I'm going to pick up on your post and go to Lowe's and get a Husqvarna chain saw.

I hate to throw away about thirty to thirty five pounds of walnuts. What do you use to break 'em open, a hammer? And when they turn black, does that mean they're starting to rot or they're ripe? Someone said drive over 'em with a car. I can just see myself on my hands and knees on the driveway lining up walnuts so I can run over 'em.

Todd
Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Default Walnuts

Are they black or English walnuts? We had black walnut trees in MN. when I was growing up. I never liked 'em. But I add chopped English walnuts to my cereal every morning. According to my diabetes nurse, they slow sugar from entering the blood.

Judy
Old October 26th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Judy,

I dunno the difference.

All I can say is they're green and round when they fall off the tree but then they start turning black when they're on the ground. I guess I'll have to try and break the husk off one and see if the shell inside is what I believe we all consider a walnut shell. Then I'll see if the inside looks like the whole shelled ones in the grocery and after that, MAYBE I might get up the nerve to eat one!

Todd
Old October 26th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

When I was an farm boy we had a couple Black Walnut trees and we used to harvest "some" of the nuts each year. We never harvested all of the nuts because cracking and drying the nuts was "a lot" of work.

We used an old corn sheller to pull the green outside off the nuts and then take the inner nut and hang it up in wire "fish baskets".

For the number of nuts harvested to the amount of edible product it wasn't really beneficial plus your hands became black from the outer shells. I do remember that it wasn't easy getting the black off your hands.

If I were you I'd harvest a hundred, put them on your ice cream and have the satisfaction that they came from your yard.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 26th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Todd,

Why don't you just pay some neighborhood kid $20 to pick 'em up for you?

Call it Todd's economic stimulus package.........!

Old October 26th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Dean,

I was going to suggest the same thing. Call your local HS Ask them if they have a FFA group. They might want to come out and either study them, or sale them over the holidays for a fund raiser.

Also your local Food pantry might be able to use them.

Growing up we had a persimmon tree. Oh my gosh what a mess they made.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 26th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Todd,
Go to this site
http://www.black-walnuts.com/

You can locate a nearby wholesaler who will buy your black walnuts from you.

Hope you are able to make a dime for your trouble. I checked and there were four wholesalers within 100 miles of me. Who'd a thunk it. I may be buying a nut roller too .

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 26th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Admiral

Default Walnuts

I remember the stained hands from black walnuts, too. Plus, they smell bad and taste bad, to me.

Judy
Old October 27th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Familiar Face

Being from the South --we make black walnut pound cake ---it is awesome. MY parents always go to the basement and work together to get the nuts out of the shell.It is laborous(sp) but the rewards of fresh walnut pound cake is awesome. THe smell when it is baking is almost as good as the cake.
Old October 27th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Not a fan of walnuts....now if you had a chestnut tree, I woudl have you fedex me a gross...nothing like a good roasted hot chestnut

Let's all sing Mel Torm's song......Nat King Cole will take the lead
Maestro please..hit it.....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 27th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Admiral

Todd, I can't believe you're from Tn. and don't know what a black walnut is. What you're describing is a black walnut--they fall off the tree in a greenish soft like outer shell, turn dark after they lay for a little while. People hull them and let them dry. The stain can be bad--hard to get off your hands--look at squirrels that live near black walnut trees--they'll have very dark stain on their front paws and mouth.
Re/ running over them with cars, that's a common way people " hull' them to keep from getting the stain all over their hands, or of course just use rubber gloves. After they're hulled and dry out, you don't have a stain problem--it's only in the outer shell that the stain is a problem. They're a very good source of food for baking, eating raw, etc. Use a hammer to crack them and a nut pick to get out the kernel. They can be sold also , as commercial companies buy them to sell in stores, for baking, eating raw, etc. Check how much a pack of black walnut kernels cost and you may not want to throw away 30 lbs.
English walnuts are nothing like black walnuts and you'll be able to tell the difference immediately--they're more oblong, lighter in color and can easily be cracked, sometimes with just you hands.
That's the nut lesson for today.
Old October 27th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

When we got married and moved to a small town, the paper had an article about a man who carves walnut shells into little baskets...I dropped him a line to compliment him on his handiwork, and he gave me one..I was touched, but where is it now

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 28th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Admiral

Ron,

I've always just called 'em walnuts as I never knew there was another variety. I never paid any attention to the term "Black Walnut" for that reason.

Keep in mind too that I was a "city boy." I grew up in a large town with a population back then of 12,000. Since then we've grown to become a veritable metropolis.... of SIXTEEN THOUSAND!

I'll tell you something else and this is kinda' strange. Most of us from "in town" have never had really that much of an accent. Yet when I was growing up, we "city slickers" often had a tough time understanding those from way out in the county in the mountains.

My Mother who was an English fanatic, I used to drive up the wall by saying thngs such as pronouncing theater as the-A-ter and "Here, let me larn you how to do this."

Todd
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Admiral

So, Todd - where did the nuts end up?
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Yes Todd:

What happened to your nuts? Did you run over them with a car. Did you crack them with a pliers? Did you put them in a corn shucker? Did you give them to someone who wanted them? Or did you just let them rot?

We want to know.

Take care,
Mike (Wondering how long until someone hits the exclamation point)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Admiral

Yes Todd........inquiring minds need to know........

Mike........huh??? Why??? Oh.....you mean that?!?!?!? Nah.........

Sharon
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Admiral

It's sad but to be very truthful, no one wants my nuts. I've tried breaking a couple of them in an attempt to entice some area homemaker to take my nuts , all to no avail.

So, the best that could be said of the whole affair, is the immortal one word reply by Maj. Gen. Anthony McAuliffe to the German ultimatum to surrender at Bastogne Belgium, December, 1945.

I consequently will put my nuts out this evening even though they could conceivably freeze (given the well known vagary of the weather around these parts) and expect they will be picked up along with the rest of my considerable detritus in the morning by our trash collector.

Todd
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Admiral

So sorry to hear you had to throw away your nuts. It must be just another sign of the times when perfectly good nuts have to go to waste !!

Re / the way you pronounced the-A-ter-- folks in my little corner of the world pronounced it the same way. Sometimes we just referred to it as going to the show.
Don't fret about the nuts--maybe something or someone will get some use from them!!
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Look at it this way, at least Fran didn't go out in the back yard and kick your nuts.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Todd won't get a wink of sleep tonight---worrying about his nuts being out in the cold and trash!!