Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

View Poll Results: Is this Grits?
Plate A 1 33.33%
Plate B 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Admiral

Default Polenta or Grits

Okay Captain Tennille can't get grits in his area. So I suggested he try polenta. It got me thinking can you really the difference between Polenta and Grits? I will post uncooked and cooked pictures vote for the one you think is Grits. Good Luck.

Plate A.

Plate B.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Couldn't vote, but I'll take "B", thank you. 8)

"SKY"
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Those look mighty yellow...

Here's what grits look like anytime I've ever seen them:

I would typically go for grits for breakfast and polenta at lunch or dinner

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Familiar Face

Default grits or not grits

There really should be one more category to vote on....none of the above. When you boil cornmeal or polenta you get cornmeal mush not grits. Grits are ground hominy.
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I can't vote for either one. I grew up with "corn meal mush" and I don't like it.

I have always prided myself in the fact that I am not a finicky eater and love to try anything from bugs to brains and love the taste of many foods but I will not eat grits, oatmeal, corn meal mush, most polenta, cream of wheat, Farina and Malt-o-Meal unless I am starving. I haven't hit the starving point yet.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Never had polenta so I can/t choose. Had grits once, never again!

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 27th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Admiral

Default Poenta or Grits

Can't stand either one.

Judy
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Grits are made from Hominy, which generally means white corn that has been hulled (the Native Americans used lye to remove the hulls) .

I'll be honest it's not something I have ever craved, like Venice's Maypo, but if there was nothing else in the cupboard, I would be thankful for it. It does remind me of cream of wheat. Throw a little sugar, maple syrup or honey and butter on it and its all just fine.

Old October 27th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: grits or not grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmensmom
There really should be one more category to vote on....none of the above. When you boil cornmeal or polenta you get cornmeal mush not grits. Grits are ground hominy.
I find the statement Grits are ground hominy confusing. Were you saying Grit are made from White Corn? Grits are made from corn right?

When I did a image search for grits I got both white and yellow grits. So I did some research and I found the answer. Accordng to what I found Grits can be white or yellow the difference between grits and cornmeal is the hull/germ is removed on grits (Hominy) and not on cornmeal. Masa harina is made wit hominy is it is closer to grits then to cornmeal. Now Masa harina I know I use it to thicken my chili and chili verde.[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020oXjedK_iUAJk6jzbkF/SIG=13n4u48be/EXP=1256775319/**http%3A//www.acornadvisors.com/Kitchen%2520Newsletters/2007-06-21_Cool_Grains/Whole-Grain-Diagram.jpg[/img]

Posole is the whole hominy that is used in mexican cooking. I think I like what the mexicans do with hominy the best. They make a soup it looks pretty good. I live in California so I bet I have an easier time finding posole then grits.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 27th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Kat:

Head to the supermarket and buy a box of grits (common white and yellow) and try em. Then you will know the difference.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old October 27th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
I find the statement Grits are ground hominy confusing. Were you saying Grit are made from White Corn? Grits are made from corn right?

When I did a image search for grits I got both white and yellow grits. So I did some research and I found the answer. Accordng to what I found Grits can be white or yellow the difference between grits and cornmeal is the hull/germ is removed on grits (Hominy) and not on cornmeal. Masa harina is made wit hominy is it is closer to grits then to cornmeal. Now Masa harina I know I use it to thicken my chili and chili verde.[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020oXjedK_iUAJk6jzbkF/SIG=13n4u48be/EXP=1256775319/**http%3A//www.acornadvisors.com/Kitchen%2520Newsletters/2007-06-21_Cool_Grains/Whole-Grain-Diagram.jpg[/img]

Posole is the whole hominy that is used in mexican cooking. I think I like what the mexicans do with hominy the best. They make a soup it looks pretty good. I live in California so I bet I have an easier time finding posole then grits.
See my post above. Hominy is just hulled corn. White seems to be much more common for grits than yellow.

Old October 27th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Kat:

Head to the supermarket and buy a box of grits (common white and yellow) and try em. Then you will know the difference.

Take care,
Mike
No grits here I might try to found posole through. I edited my reply because I researched it. I like learning and trying different things. I just love to cook. If I do get grits I reserve the right to mess with the recipe by adding sugar, chili, or whatever else I feel like. I'm sorry southerns I just do that. My dad wasn't happy when I used yellow cornmeal and spinach in my Portuguese cornmeal. It is normally made with kale and white cornmeal. It's the kicthen it should be fun and interesting.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 27th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Kat,

My father-in-law, who lives in the Bay Area, eats grits almost every day. He's Polish but he loves them and he needs a gluten free diet. My mother-in-law buys them at Safeway.

Take care,
Mike

Old October 28th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Banned
Captain

I have always believed the terms "Polish" and "gluten-free diet" were polar opposites.

The same way a Ukranian would appreciate a "cabbage-free diet".....
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tennille
I have always believed the terms "Polish" and "gluten-free diet" were polar opposites.

The same way a Ukrainian would appreciate a "cabbage-free diet".....
If he had his way he would be eating all the wheat products he could. However he has Tropical Sprue and can't eat gluten.

The man curses the sight of a rice cake.

Take care,
Mike

Old October 28th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Banned
Captain

I make light of it, but in all seriousness it does truly suck to not be able to enjoy eating in all its glory. (speaking from personal experience).
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Familiar Face

[quote="katlady"]
Quote:

Grits can be white , yellow, or speckled. Hominy is made from corn, grits are made from hominy. Kind of like, wool comes from sheep, you can knit a sweater out of the wool, but you cant make a sweater out of the sheep.

Now I'm starting to corn-fuse myself.