Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 27th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Butter bells

When I was on the Liberty, I decided I wanted a butter bell, like they had on the table. in the dr....ok, so Bruce thought Iwas crazy I looked on ebay, and could not find the type the ship had with the stainless dome .I guess I will check restaurant supply places....

But, I never in my life kept butter or margerine out of the fridge! Some people put things in the fridge, that I never have, like cereal or jam/jelly...ok so tell me...do you have a butter bell, and is it on the counter or table?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Trip:

I have two crystal "butter bell" type dishes. They have a crystal bottom and a gold plated top. We only use them for large dinners when we need multiple butter dishes on the table.

I always keep butter outside the fridge in a butter dish. I never take out more than one stick at a time so it never goes rancid. (OK: It has gone rancid a couple of times.) I have three butter dishes so when the butter is gone out of one it then goes into the dishwasher and a clean butter dish and stick of butter are put out. Butter doesn't last long around here.

Take care,
Mike (Who only uses butter and not congealed, colored oil)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 27th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Mike, the one on the ship held butter pats, which really would not work for me now that I think about it, but i still want one...The larger ones that would hold soft margerine, ,can you keep that out of the fridge as well?

Old October 27th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Only keeps butter in the fridge :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 27th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Do you like this one?

My MIL gave me one she found in Canada. It is glass though. But I like it a lot

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 27th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Old October 27th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Admiral

BW I love the glass one, but can you keep margerine in it, unrefridgerated, like you can butter?

Old October 27th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Admiral

I really don't know Trip. I know the butter is fine, and really I don't know why not because they are both mainly comprised of fats. You might have to contact the manufacturer of the margarine you use to see. We are butter lovers but it is just so darned hard to spread when its cold. That is the main reason we like ours. At room temps it is more manageable. Margarine is generally softer and melts easier than butter.
Wish I had an answer for you.

Old October 27th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Default Butter Bells

I've never had a butter bell. They are really pretty, aren't they? My mother never kept butter in the fridge. There was always a quarter pound in the cupboard. When I was an adult and ate at her house, yeah, I thought it was spoiled. But I'm still here, so I guess it didn't kill me!

I have two Italian butter dishes that I put out for company. I first saw them at the Italian Pottery Outlet in Santa Barbara CA. (Italianpotteryoutlet.com) They wanted $60 for one! I found them locally for less than $30 each. For every day, I have two fridge butter dishes that I use daily.

Judy
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Trip:

I guess I'm getting thick. I don't quite understand about putting margarine in a butter bell. You can put whatever you want in it. You can pad it, put in a chunk or fill it with soft butter.

About putting in the fridge or not. Don't take out more butter than you will use in two days. After two days butter will start to go rancid. Faster in hot weather. Nothing worse than rancid butter.

In regard to margarine going bad. I have no idea because I never use it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Admiral

I know I could even put jello in it I like the idea of how it looks, and not all margerine is soft, so maybe keeping it, if you can, on the counter, rather then being refigerated, would soften it....did this make sense?
I am buttered out

Old October 27th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Admiral

... as my Father would say, "Pretty girls, need pretty things" Girl get yourself a butter bell!

Old October 28th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Admiral

I think I need a butter bell.
I do use butter, and I do not keep it in the fridge - hard butter is very annoying to me....
Like Mike - I use a butter dish and I have two that I routinely rotate. Or, when I am fortunate enough to have my beloved Cabot European Butter (which I have to drive two hours to get) - I just cut off a small portion from the block and put in a small dish- but the butter bell, would class it up for sure.

We really don't eat much of it - but when I do, I want the real thing, and I want it to be of good quality. Dear Lord, this whole thread makes me want my special butter, I don't want to go on a road trip...but now I think I have too
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
... as my Father would say, "Pretty girls, need pretty things" Girl get yourself a butter bell!
Guess that must be true since I don't mind getting butter out of the fridge and eating it out of the plastic container.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScurvyDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
Guess that must be true since I don't mind getting butter out of the fridge and eating it out of the plastic container.
Hey you! Hope you and your lovely bride are doing well.

Old October 28th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Hi Beenie
Everything is good. Just got back from Cozumel on the Glory. While there I stoped at our favorite barbershop for a haircut.
Hope you and family have a great trip on the Jewel. 8)
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Passenger

tHIS WHOLE THREAD BAFFLES ME, WHAT IS A BUTTER BELL AND WHAT DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH CRUISING
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Admiral

As you can see by the pix posted and the chat, it's something we ALL need This forum is easy breezy with many topics covered..pull up a chair and welcome to chit chat

Old October 28th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Admiral

I believe margerine can be left out, too. It gets a bit too soft.
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOYCEV
tHIS WHOLE THREAD BAFFLES ME, WHAT IS A BUTTER BELL AND WHAT DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH CRUISING
If you want to be technical about this Trip does mention in the very first line of the first post in this thread that she liked the butter bell she saw on a ship...if you don't want to get technical about this the answer would be "not much" and that's the beauty of the chit chat board.
Enjoy!
Angela Z.
Old October 29th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Admiral

My mother kept butter out as well. Yes Mike, it occasionally became rancid and that turned me off from butter for many years (except when I was in a restaurant and knew it was fresh). As a matter of fact I now love it so much that I thickly slather it on any bread to the point Fran gets embarrassed when I'll take twelve of those individually wrapped foil packets for two of those little French rolls at Atlanta Bread. If you're not familiar with Atlanta Bread, it's one of those trendy chain bakeries and the French rolls there are maybe 4 inches long and about three to four in circumference.

Todd
Old October 30th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Passenger

i DID NOT MEAN TO BE CRITICAL, i JUST DIDN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT A BUTTER BELL WAS. MY FAVORITE FOOD ON THE GOLDRN PRINCESS WAS THEIR WHOLE WHEAT DINNER ROLLS WITH LOTS OF BUTTER
Old October 30th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Admiral

Joy, neither did I till a tablemate on my recent cruise told me! Just the thought of butter slathered on a crusty roll, will send shivers up the backs of all the posters on this thread....you whet my appetite now...I need a roll

Old October 30th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Admiral

I actually never use butter on toast or bread at home, so in fact we use very little at home. Same goes for margerine. I do have covered butter dishes, and I use them when I set a table when we have guests. Butter and margerine are always kept in the fridge except those times we have guests and it is placed on the table for a meal. I have some pretty ones matching my china ( all three sets have a matching dish) and I also have a set that is Zilmeta, like a stainless for every day matching some serving pieces by the same company.
Old October 30th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to ShelleyCruise Send a message via Yahoo to ShelleyCruise
Default Re: Butter bells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
do you have a butter bell, and is it on the counter or table?
I have a Polish Pottery butter bell. It sits in my china cabinet with some of my other pieces. But you can use it and leave your butter on the counter indefinitely. The water makes a seal so no air can touch the butter to make it rancid. You should change the water every four days or so. I don't think jelly would work since the water would start to dissolve the jelly. It works for butter because butter doesn't mix with water. I guess margarine would work since it too wouldn't mix with water. Does margarine actually require refrigeration anyway? Margarines molecular structure is very close to plastic! :o