Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Default Ft Hood, Texas

Just heard about the shootings at Ft Hood, Texas.........all are in our thoughts........

Luanne.......hope you're not TOO close....you are in our thougths......

Sharon
Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I just heard this, and, my 1st thoughts were of Luanne...Prayers to all on that base....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 5th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

We are fine, but staying close to home.

Pray for all the soldiers. Will be back soon

Need to let all our family know.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Captain

Prayers out to all at Ft. Hood.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

How absolutely horrible, just can't understand?? More details comming out every hour...OMG.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 5th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Admiral

Still waiting just like all of you for more news. Post still locked down, so students at the schools are seperated from parents.

All housing family members have been told to shut off all air coming from outside.

Jim still does not know. He is sleeping, but should be awake in a few hours. I have tried to let all know that we are okay.

Kept Josh home with me tonight, and would not let him go to classes. It would have put him to close to the action.

We live off post, but neighbors are of couse still at work, as Jim would be if he was here.

Jim had been in that building many times over the years, as have I. This is a place where you go before you deploy, so they take care of Wills, shots, powers of attorney, etc.

Will let you know more as I get it.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old November 6th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Admiral

Absolutely shocking and heartbreaking!

Turns out the killer is still alive and could well recover which is good as then he'll face a military Courts Martial and will be subject to swift and certain justice. No possible moddle coddling civilian system in this case folks.

Todd
Old November 6th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Admiral

I guess the odd thing to me about this, is that the guy is a psychiatrist.

The last person you'd think would have a mental health meltdown would be a mental health professional......

Old November 6th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Admiral

It's a terrible event, and I feel so sad for the families.

As for mental health breask downs in health care professionals, the highest rate of breakdown are among proffessions that help others, that is something to think about the next time one yells at a caregiver whether it be the police, the nurses etc.And if you deal with some one in those proffessions, a kind word sure goes a long way to make some ones day when they are faced with stress all day.

Caregiving, and looking after others is very difficult, and most certainly people who serve like police officers etc have a far higher rate of suicide etc just from stress.

Most of all health care proffessionals, along with police men, or army personell ( remember the army officer who threw the grenade into fellow soildurs tents?) are human beings and proffession does not separate them from the rest of humans. They have the same capacity for a down fall than every one else.
Old November 6th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Admiral

Just one minor correction Delft and the only reason I mention it is purely a technicality. The soldier in the "fragging" incident in which greandes were thrown into the tent was not an officer but an enlisted man and even a physician, no less. That is why I find this situation even more shocking, simply because it was committed by an Officer. Incidents of soliders killing other soldiers are sadly not that unusual at all. In fact, Fort Hood itself has had several incidents one of which was a homicide in which an officer was shot dead by an enlisted man.

Todd
Old November 6th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Admiral

Todd, no worries, no need to correct me. I dont find it more shocking because it is committed by an Officer. They are human like any one else.

My dear friend in Vermont is an officer, a Major and started off as a foot soildier. He told me, "when you talk about me, always refer to me as a soildier cause dat's what me is". (quote)

In other words, in my view, an officer is just some one who got promoted a few times more, just like when I was a head nurse, I always corrected people and said, I am a "Nurse".

I suspect that yes stress etc played a role, but sadly ideology and fundamentalism with anger and mental health issues probably all played a role, and even more sad, so many young people and families have now been adversly affected.
Old November 6th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Admiral

this has implications on many levels
Old November 6th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Admiral

it is just heartbreaking, and my prayers are with everyone there- as the loss and the pain must be ever so great.
Luanne - I especially think of you, as you are there.
please know that the prayers of many of us are wrapping the Fort and the community in love and compassion.
Old November 7th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
this has implications on many levels
Yes it sure does have some BIG implications.

It's too sad for words.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2 / 21 / 16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Booked Celebrity Equinox ... 4 / 4 / 16
Old November 7th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Admiral

I posted yesterday, but after reading what I wrote, I changed my mind. It sounded to harsh. I hope to try it again today.

As most of you know, this is my back yard. In many ways, my family. It has been a rough couple of days. I just received a e-mail this morning from Jim's company saying that we did not loose any of our own.

I have read your posts, and I have watched the news, but the word that has not shown up in conversation is EVIL.

Did I miss the memo that said this word is no longer in our vocabulary? Everything these days is oh if it''s not right, it must be mentally ill.

I am use to the word evil. When I was growing up, you did either good things or evil things. Our heros on tv were either good or evil.

Let me give you some background on this man that you will not hear on the news.

This man joined the military knowning exactly what he was going to do. He came in out of Virginia Tech with the contract that says the military would pay his entire college fees, if he would give the Army at least 6 years of his time, after he completed his education.

Once he started his active duty, he was evaluated by his command, as well as his peers, on a regular basis. They were not good reports all the time, but as far as we can tell, nothing was ever mentioned about him being mentally ill.

This man's mission was to support the troops, and by the way get paid very well for it.

The other word that is not being used is Terrorist. Home grown terrorist.

I can't begin to understand what they are, but I do know that this man has been placed on a terror web site as a hero.

This man had no desire to live after two days ago. He gave away all of his personal belongings before he left for work that day. All he had to do was to kill himself, but that would not get him into his radical religious heaven, so he decides to take out as many as he could of the very same people he had sworned to protect.

As I type this he is in a hospital in south Texas. He is in a coma, and paralized.

Let me also say something about the crime here. It is true that we have crime. It is true that we have crime with soldiers. It is also true that we are almost all soldiers or family members, or people who took a wrong turn on I35, and ended up here. We have no real industry. If suddenly Fort Hood disappeared, so would all of the little towns from no. of Austin to Waco. We are all dependent on Fort Hood.

We do have murder, robberies, but so do you. The only reason it was pointed out, was the lack of information for so many hours, and they had to talk about something.

A soldier is human. They bleed the same as you. They love the same as you, and some are very nice, and some are evil, same as you.

The biggest difference in you and a soldier is they put their lives aside to defend you. They take much less pay, they are never off duty, and they move on average every 3 years.

This man was an evil man. He will one day have to respond to what he has done, and answer to a much high power. I am convinced that one day when we get to heaven, we will look around and see all the religions, and wonder why we had such a division here on earth.

I ask you to continue to pray for our soldiers. They are tired, and they are worn, but they are steadfast of the mission at hand. I have no doubt they will continue to march on.

All my love,

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old November 7th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Luanne,

AMEN!

Todd
Old November 7th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Luanne............I agree.......loke Todd said......AMEN!!!!

Sharon
Old November 7th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

You stated it eloquently, Tootsie.....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator