Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Thumbs up Review NCL Jewel Repo Oct.30- Nov.13

The adventure began early at 3:00 a.m. on Wed. October 29th when we woke up in our hotel room in Indianapolis. I, of course could not sleep, but then again what else is new. We gathered our bags, hopped on the shuttle, and enjoyed an uneventful flight to La Guardia.

Our hotel shuttle picked us up, we then dumped our suitcases and walked to the nearest subway station and took it down to the Bowling Green Station in the financial district and found the restaurant Delmonico where we had made lunch reservations. The food and service were great. The decor is very nice and I would not hesitate to return. We left, then walked down to Battery Park and enjoyed some of the performers there and looked at the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island in the distance. Unfortunately we didn't make it in time for the last ferry out. But it was fine.

We then hopped back on the subway and made our way to Times Square/42nd Street. We walked around there and found a bakery that had a canolli for d/s... we just didn't have enough time to go everywhere we wanted to go (like Ferrera) and do it all, but d/s was satisfied and enjoyed it never the less. After a while it was nearly time for dinner.

So we walked to 51st and Lexington Ave. (D/S's feet did great with all of this walking, wish I could say as much for mine ) to Mr. K's which was very nice. The interior decor was very posh, art deco style covered in mauve velvet tapestries and marble. Gold chafing dishes and gold table service made for an absolutely beautiful presentation. The food quality was average though and I am sure you would be able to find chinese food that tastes much better for a fraction of the price. However I cannot complain since I was able to get a package deal for $183.00 from SkyAuction which included the $100 dining certificate for Delmonico and $100 dining certificate for Mr. K's and the 4 tickets to the Broadway show "Burn the Floor" Produced by DWTS's judge Carrie Inaba. and starred performers from Dancing With the Stars and So You Think You Can Dance.

We took a cab to the Longacre Theatre and sat down and enjoyed an evening of the best dancing I have ever seen in my life. Keep in mind that we had been up since 3:00 a.m. and the show was so engaging none of us had a complaint or nodded of during the show that lasted until almost 11:00 p.m. The kids loved it and I am so glad we were able to swing it. We took a cab back to our hotel and everyone quickly fell asleep (except for me...the insomniac).

One thing though, I had a last minute pedicure before I left town on Wednesday. Evidently I got some sort of cootie from the pedicure equipment because my right foot started feeling strange, and began to swell very quickly and a lesion formed between my 4th and pinky toe. So I went to the CVS near the hotel and got some stuff to kill the cootie and went to bed. The next morning my toes looked like sausages and the swelling was spreading into my foot. So I decided to see the ships Doctor once on board.

We hired a nice town car to take us to the port and the Driver was wonderful, we enjoyed hearing about him and his children, how he immigrated to NYC from Colombia. We arrived at the port around 11:00 a.m. Dropped our bags on the conveyor as we walked in the door. We were directed to the priority check in for Balconies/Minisuites. We checked in very quickly, were given a card with the #60 on it and were directed to sit in a section of chairs, just as we walked toward the chairs, a gentleman came out and called our number and then we walked on board. It doesn't get any better than that. We found our Aft minisuite which was ready for us and dropped off our bags and rested for a bit.

Lots of highlights, very few lowlights. I typically avoid the buffets. On this cruise it was probably better than average and we often found ourself there for lunch and breakfast. They had a few issues keeping certain items like the sausage gravy at proper temperatures on the buffet, but all in all, they did a pretty good job, better than previous experiences. One thing about the buffet, during peak times there was a shortage of seating. I thought it strange because there was at least 12 feet of empty booth space that was unused because the tables and chairs had been removed. They had an area called "kid's Cafe" that had kid food and small tables and chairs for families to sit together. Unfortunately, it was often full of adults simply because they had no where else to sit.

The biggest winner of all the specialty restaurants for us was Chin Chin. All of the offerings there were huge hits with us. Sushi, Mongolian Hot Pot, Asian Fusion, Teppanyaki, all terrific. We absolutely fell in love with the sushi chef's Jeffery and Romeo. They just took such good care of us and we kept coming back night after night, and sometimes for lunch. Hari, the Maitre D there, was a bit annoying, as he would turn the ringer on his portable phone up full blast and stand in the doorway of Teppanyaki while you were dining at the grill and talk to whoever was on the other line. He simply lacked the people skills and finesse of the other Maitre D's we met on board.

Tango's was fantastic. Le Bistro was good too (though I do admit it is much more scaled back and lacks the presentation it once had)the food was good and we never left hungry.

The biggest loser for us was Cagney's, the prime rib was tough and full of gristle. The fries which used to be infused with truffle oil, with Parmesan sprinkled on them, and now coated in a powdery substance that sticks to the inside of your mouth like a paste.

The biggest surprise for us was Azura, one of the two main dining rooms. The food was good, the service excellent. The steak we had in Azura was better than the one my husband had in Cagneys. We sailed with Boris the MaitreD previously on the Spirit and he took good care of us, as did the servers.
Blue Lagoon was OK, service was OK, food was OK.

One thing that was very tacky was salespeople coming into the speciality restaurants trying to gin up business for the Jazz Brunch, Taste of India, and to try the other speciality restaurants. As I explained to the MaitreD at the time, I thought it was wrong for them to take advantage of a captive audience that was paying for a nice upscale meal, to interrupt our nice dinner to give us a sales pitch. I felt that should have been done somewhere else like the atrium, or the buffet entrance.

I know the specialty restaurants are hurting. There just weren't that many people paying extra for their meals. On previous cruises it has always been a challenge to get into many venues, especially Teppanyaki. On this cruise I never encountered a wait, I never had to make reservations. It was very easy to get into any restaurant at just about any time. I never saw a full crowd at Teppanyaki

I did eventually make to the Ship's Doctor and all I can say is wow! He fixed me up. He gave me an arsenal of medications to kill the staph infection I got from the pedicure. Within a day it was showing remarkable signs of improvement. I was so happy to get cared for so well.

Our room stewards were great. Our aft minisuite was very nice and I had to say aside from some chair scooting early in the morning after I had already awakened, I heard no noise back there. Sometime in the first few days of our cruise they replaced the patio furniture on our balcony. Which was appreciated.

Regarding ports. Honestly, I can't complain much about any of them. We had a great time, and I always look at this part of the cruise as an adventure, a learning experience and use the knowledge acquired on previous trips to fine tune our next trip plans to those port should we return in the future. The weather was beautiful every day. We were very fortunate to make every port and have days full of sunshine.

Samana: Went to Playa Rincon with a bunch of our CC pals which we enjoyed. It was a day of adventure, seas were a bit playful. Next time we'll likely do Cayo Levantado again or a day pass at a nice resort. This is our third trip to Samana in 13 years, and it still has a way to go before it is really tourist friendly, but it is beautiful country and still has plenty to offer if you have an adventurous soul and the ability to go with the flow.

Tortola:We planned to go out to Virgin Gorda and the Baths on our own but since the ship tours were cancelled due to rough seas, we also cancelled our own plans. and we just shopped a little along the waterfront, then headed down to Pusser's Outpost for a cocktail that knocked me on my butt. We met up with Mary and her husband and another couple who were all delightful. We also met a another couple who had rented a sailboat and were sailing from Island to Island, which we thought sounded like a lot of fun. It was a great way to spend some time with some wonderful folks. Did a little shopping and checked email at the internet cafe.

St. Kitts, I loved it. Beautiful as you approach Frigate Bay where the Carribean is on one side of the mountains and the Atlantic on the other. Cockleshell Beach was nice. D/H and I would love to live there some day.

Curacao, rented a car and spent the day at the Sea Aquarium and the nearby beach. Very educational for the kids, good time was had by all.

Aruba, hopped on the bus and ended up at Boca Catalina Beach. Nice beach with some trees for shade. The water was clear.

Roatan, Went to Maya Key (formerly Fins & Flippers) all I can say is WOW! This place knocked my socks off. Great snorkelling on a coral reef, beach, pool, meticulously manicured grounds, animal rescue/preserve, good food, excellent! This is a place I highly recommend!

Continued on in next post... I am limited to 10,000 characters

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Admiral

Belize, we took a water taxi out to Caye Caulker. Evidently there is a new water taxi competing with the old Caye Caulker water taxi association. It is closer to the port and less expensive. It also leaves at 9:15, which is 15 min. later than the other one. So we used it and it worked well for our schedule. We used Tsunami Adventures on this trip to take us out to the Marine Preserve. It was nice, but not as good as our previous experiences with them. Next time I think I will spend a bit extra and take a flight to San Pedro and visit Ambergris Caye. It takes about an hour and a half to get out there via water taxi. So a flight is much more practical.
The Captain was a soft spoken, gracious man. He was very generous to our group. Since we had many people in our roll call he offered bridge tours to our group over the course of several days so everyone could attend, and spent a great deal of time with each group explaining the workings of the ship and answered everyone's questions in great detail. I thought it was so nice of him to do this for us.

Hotel Director was Steven Jacobson, he was always out and about, very approachable. I wrote him a letter regarding our experiences and to really let him know the things that impressed us the most about our experiences on the Jewel. Within minutes of reading it, he phoned me to thank me for sharing the information with him.

Rochelle and Carolyn who coordinated our group functions on the ship really worked hard for our group, any request I threw their way they did their very best to make it happen and they were lovely ladies to deal with.

One great thing one of our group members proposed that was great fun, we did a poker/cabin crawl. Since we had such a large group of over 200 people on board. We went from cabin to cabin and at each stop and picked up a card and then we all met at the end of the crawl and the people with the best poker hands split the pot. That alone was a hoot, but it allowed us to tour a huge variety of cabin categories as well. Everything from an inside cabin all the way up to Owner's and Penthouse Suites and Courtyard Villa's. Our friend's Owner's Suite was to die for. OMG it was so beautiful. If anyone wants to try this ...perhaps for Let's get Lei'd I have an email that goes into great detail how to execute it. I think it is a great icebreaker and just good clean fun. The staff organized a luncheon and awards banquet following the crawl and we sat and visited with one another for hours.

The Entertainment on this ship was second to none. I felt like every act was headline material. Many had performed on Jay Leno, Oprah, etc... and the sheer volume of talent onboard was mind boggling. Cirque Bijou was fantastic too. This is one of the few cruises that I made a point to get to as many shows as possible. I generally find it hard to get too excited about the entertainment on Cruise Ships. I also am not one to go gaga over Cruise Directors, but I really enjoyed Que Hundermark. He was just a nice guy who was working about 16+ hours a day trying to offer as much entertainment to the passengers as he could pack into one day.

The kid's club was fantastic. I love the new hours they are offering. Basically on sea days they are open from 9:00 a.m. - 10:30 p.m. and you decide when the kids will attend or not. It offers a lot more flexibility, the kid's loved it! We would let the kids go as early as they wanted in the morning, generally pick them up around 1 or 2 and take them to lunch and go play at the pool or go read for a while in the library, then they could return anytime they liked and then have dinner early at the Kid's Cafe which they loved as well. We had the honor of sailing with several of the counselors on previous cruises and once more they impressed us tremendously. I wish I could just bring them all home with us, what a great, talented group of young people, who took great care of the kids and helped provide them with a special holiday to remember.

This ship is nice because they have a kid's only hot tub, and an adults only pool. However, most of the adults weren't in the adults only pool, and it made things quite congested in the only pool the kid's were able to enjoy. Then the adults would get frustrated with some children for being boisterous and splashing. I really think a ship this size needs more than two small pools. Of course then there is the swim diaper issue. It was not enforced at all. At one time I counted as many as four children in the pool and water slide area in swim diapers at once and the pool attendant was present and aware of their presence and said nothing. I do feel this is a health and sanitation matter and I don't want anyone's cruise ruined due to ecoli or other bacterial infection, they could have done a better job in this area.

I really enjoyed this cruise, I would rank it as our best one yet. Embarkation and disembarkation (we carried our luggage off at 8:00 a.m. because of an early flight from FLL) was seamless, and speedy. Very well organized.
So really I have to give this cruise two thumbs up. It was a wonderful experience!

Last edited by beenie weenie; November 17th, 2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

BW, I enjoyed every word.....so nice you all had the best time, and I love the idea of that poker crawl..When I was on the Gem, on the media cruise out of Boston, I too was lucky enough to view all the cabin types,and yes..wowowow. I have them up in the gallery, as well as snow by the pool deck shots Now that was surreal...

Have you gone to the place where you had your pedi, to let them know about your situation....that was too bad for your tootsies....

You always post in a way, that, your cruise, becomes an adventure for all of us at home...thanks!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 17th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Very nice review.

Caribbean Trip Reports
Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Beenie,

It sounds like a wonderful and enjoyable time. How did they do the Sushi for you? Was it all you wanted or were you limited to individual items?

Remember that debate from a few months ago?

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Admiral

Trip, yes I sent the spa a msg the first chance I got so that no one else would get an infection like that. I feel very fortunate that the Doctor was able to get it cleared up so quickly.

Mike, yes I was thinking about the debate. Basically in a nutshell it is now $15 pp for sushi, for lunch or dinner. I had the fortune to eat my weight in sushi and they just kept bringing more until we cried "UNCLE" . It was so nice. The sushi chefs were great guys and we got so much more than our money's worth in the sushi bar. I have some fantastic pictures of a few of their creations, especially the dragon roll they made for us, it was a work of art...I didn't want to eat it because it was so beautiful...but I forced myself:-D.
Most people ordered the combinations from the menu, but if you happened to click with the sushi masters they would just keep bringing more and more and really spoil you.

We really enjoyed our time at the Sushi bar.

Old November 17th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Great review, Beenie. Especially interesting since I'll be doing a TA on the NCL Gem, in a couple of weeks. I love the idea of a cabin crawl/poker run.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Beenie:

That it is the way it has been in my last five NCL cruises. I think the "Ala Carte" is what throws people off. They think it is individual selection and pricing but it is not.

I know that the Sushi bar is my second favorite restaurant. We had the same experiences in that the food was almost too pretty to eat. But we did.

The Fruit Sushi is just gorgeous.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old November 17th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Admiral

Oh Mike one other thing I forgot to mention is they did not offer the martini clinic on this sailing. One thing they did offer was a sushi/sake tasting for the $15 fee and it was great fun. They did have wine tasting (I got sidetracked and missed it), and whiskey (not my cup of tea)

We met a lot of really nice ppl there and once more were full to the gills with sushi, courtesy of Romeo and Jeffrey. I am not a big sake drinker so I kept pouring mine into d/h's glass when he wasn't looking...I figured it was all good since he wasn't driving anyway

Old November 17th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Captain

Hey Beenie:

Welcome home to dreary Indiana! Glad you had a great time though. I never realized there were so many specialty restaurants on the larger ships. I love sushi too! Our cruise was really fun also and we noticed the same thing you did about the specialty restaurants not being nearly as full as usual. I also noticed the same thing with the spa and other "pay for it" venues on the ship. I posted a review in the Royal Carribean section of the board.

Take care and hope to catch up to you in Indy one of these days!
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Admiral

Hey Ready! I was thinking about you as we walked through the airport and saw the officers on the segways. I will have to go over and check out your review. I like the Enchantment a lot, I am sure you had a great time.

Well it is nearly my bed time. I have sleeping so well since we got back, I don't want to miss my beauty sleep, Lord knows I need all the help I can get .

I'll holler at you next time I head that way. I should be going over to Indy soon for more Dr appointments. D/s will have another surgery in January on his other foot. I can't wait for that to be done and him to be well on the way to recovery.

I'll holler at you if I can get away long enough to meet for a coffee or lunch.

Old November 18th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Wonderful review. So glad you had a good time.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 18th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Wow Beenie,,,sounds like you had a wonderful time. That poker crawl sounds like lots of fun.
I love NCL they have always done a good job for us. So glad others are enjoying them also.

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Great review Beenie. We really enjoyed this same cruise last year so I was absolutely sure you would love it. Cirque Bijou is one of the best shows I have ever seen. Glad you and family had a fun trip.:-D
58 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X3, Triumph X2, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
8 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta X2
HAL Statendam
Old November 18th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Admiral

OUTSTANDING review, B/W! Makes one want to hop on the next ship out to anywhere!

You did a fantastic job seeing as much as you were able to see in Manhattan in one day. The show was the icing on the cake for you, of that I'm sure.

I guess it's back to more humdrum living but as we age, my experience is that the "humdrum" becomes the "cozy comfortable."

Can't wait to see your pictures!

Todd
Old November 18th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Default Review NCL Jewel Repo

Beenie,
I enjoyed your review, too. Was the Delmonico's in NYC one of Emeril Legasse's restaurants? I've always wanted to eat in one of them.

Judy
Old November 18th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Hey Miss Judy! No this is a different Delmonico's. Here's the historical info from their website:
Delmonico’s, opened in 1837 as America’s first fine dining restaurant, continues to serve the connoisseur of fine American food in its premier location at Fifty-Six Beaver Street, in the heart of Manhattan’s Financial District. Birthplace of the Delmonico Steak, Delmonico Potatoes, Eggs Benedict, Lobster Newburg and Baked Alaska, the original Delmonico’s offered unheard of luxury—the availability of private dining rooms, an extensive wine cellar, innovative cuisine and, above all, warm, personal service.

Old November 18th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Home of the legendary Delmonico's Steak. mmmmm

Take care,
Mike

Old November 18th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Funny thing though, the Delmonico Steak at Delmonico is a Ribeye...not sure what cut the Delmonico steak at the grocery store is... things that make you go hummmmm?

Old November 18th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Phil&Liz

Too bad the censors hit the review...."
then headed down to Pusser's Outpost for a ****tail that knocked me on my butt."

For those who don't know the area...what is ...." ****leshell Beach " ?

Phil & Liz

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. Margaret Thatcher

Never take an idiot travelling, you can always pick one up when you get there. Billy Connolly

I Didn't Come here and I ain't Leaving.
Willie Nelson

9/01/2013 Carnival Legend
2/16/2014 BC 7

Bill Murray
20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.
Old November 18th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Admiral

Default Review NCL Jewel Repo

Thanks, Beenie.

Phil & Liz, yeah, I know what was left out . . . silly, isn't it?

Judy