Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 27th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Admiral

Default Friday, Black or Otherwise!

Morning Mates, from Nova Scotia where I am thankful we don't have the phenomenon known as Black Friday. From what I've seen on the news, I would be staying FAR away from the stores on this day - I do not do well in crowds!

I must say it's hard to think about Christmas shopping, cards or baking when it's 11C and pouring rain. That's 51F, and unheard of for November!
However, I do have to get started on all that Christmas stuff, since any gifts I buy this year have to be mailed early, since I'm so far from family and friends.
Hope all my Mates in the US had a nice Thanksgiving yesterday and are not too stuffed. If anybody has any leftover turkey, I'll be waiting!

donna
Old November 27th, 2009, 08:13 AM
First Mate

Gooooooood Morning CM-ers!

Here in central Connecticut it's a little rainy and sort of chilly, but that doesn't seem to be stopping the Black Friday hordes. We are watching from the comfort of home, as all our shopping has been done for a couple of weeks now. Granted, there may be another item or 2, but other than that, dones-ville for us.

RD, I absolutely love your new avatar. St. Maartin is our favorite port in the Caribbean, and I know just about where that photo was taken. Can't wait to read your review and see your photos. Connie is our favorite ship to date. "Positions everyone."....an inside joke to those who have sailed Connie and attended Perry's act in Michael's.

Thanksgiving was nice. We hosted the family, and all enjoyed the food and even more so, the companionship. We are all cleaned up, the leftovers were sent home with the kids (by the way, Foodsaver is THE way to go...) leaving enough for a couple of sandwiches for us, and some apple pie. This year we used an apple called Northern Spy. Turned out great.

Well, best wishes to all who follow, and if anyone has braved the crowds today, regal us with tales !

Later......

Read and post cruise reviews
Old November 27th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Admiral

Good "Black Friday" morning to all my "Mates". I assume that R.D. and I will be the only ones posting early this morning, as all the rest of you are standing in line at Wal-Mart, or Best Buy to get all those GREAT buys. I simply can't see it myself, and would much rather get my beauty rest, (Lord knows I need all I can get!) Anyway, we made it through Thanksgiving day, and like all the rest, ate way too much turkey, and all the fixings. The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) made a wonderful rum cake for dessert instead of the traditional pumpkin pie,,,,and it is SUPER. (She now says, that she used all her rum stash, and we have to go on a cruise soon to replenish. Sounds like as good an excuse as any!)

See y'all aboard,

Ken
"SKY"
Old November 27th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Admiral

Good Morning from a mild and dreary day.
Like RD Christmas stuff occupies some of my mind. I have just a couple of gifts left to buy but parcels were mailed long ago as they go to Europe.
Both homes are decorated. My fingers are healing and less painful. DS is well as is his GF. We celibrated her B Day this week. My DM and DS are doing OK, its a slow progression to the end.
Still no signs of snow, its very mild for this time of year.
I best get over to the office. Have a good day every one.

PS. Its still really irritating that at the bottom there is no link to go back to the chit chat page so one can choose another post to read, there is only a next and a previous and thats useless for me. Yes, we can scroll to the top, but some how that feels cumbersome.
Old November 27th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Captain

Rainy and cool here in Southern Ohio this morning. Report of a few snow fluffies north about 45 miles, just hoping it stays there and doesn't come south. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving yesterday. Lots of food and fun with the family. Of course my two little grandaughters were the entertainment. Seems the 6 yr old is in love with the boyfirend of my niece. She wanted to be around him as much as she could and not make it look so evident. It was cute as this niece had the same thing going on when she was that age with my now son-in-law. It was like stepping back in time.
The black Friday rush is on around here but not from me. There is not a sale good enough to make me want to fight the crowd. Sid I envey you having all your shopping done. I am way behind and need to get moving. Know what I want to pick up just need to do it.
Today I will go to my daughters and keep an eye on the girls for awhile. D/D had to work and the son-in-law need to get some work done on his pick-up while he has the day off. It will be a time of playing for me as the girls always have something going on.
Everyone have a great day and rest up from all the eating. Or you could do some exercise to work off all that was eaten.....NAW!

Old November 27th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
Rainy here as well..and I say, ugh Yesterday, the table groaned with all the food, as we did shortly thereafter....My daughter made this easy desert, that was just so good, it needs to be considered a mortal sin

Bruce went off to Home Depot, was in and out in a flash, with 2 shop vacs that were over 100.00, for 20.00 each..he is a happy camper,no traffic either.

To all, good thoughts, and make it a good one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 27th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Good Morning All! I for one am a non-participant in Black Friday. My stepdaughters love it!! Just got a report that one of them got into a verbal fight with a woman and her pregnant teen daughter. Ah don't you just love Christmas spirit. Some of the numbskulls camped out since yesterday afternoon.

Delft- Have you scrolled all the way to the bottom of your screen? At the bottom there is a drop box and radio button labeled "Forum Jump" . By default it is filled with the forum you are currently on. All you have to do is click the button to go to the menu for whatever forum you desire.

My friends whom I asked prayers for yesterday becuase thier teen daughter fell off a golf cart and fractured her skull report that she had several scans that were negative and was released from the hospital. God is good all of the time.

Spent a lot of quality time with two of Marj's daughters and the cutest grandaughter ever, Natalie. I had too much quality time with my dear friend Tom Turkey and his friends :eek:.

Thought I was in the clear as Marj was on her way to work and I had been delivered no chore list. However, as she went out of the door I heard her say, "If you get a chance bring in the tubs with the Christmas decorations." Interpreting that into English, "There better be stacks of tubs in the living room when I get home from work.":evil:

Hope everyone has a great day!!

Harrison's Cave, Barbados

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old November 27th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning Cruisemates from "the Scottsdale Office" (our condo patio). Sun is shining and the coffee is tasty.

Enjoyed Thanksgiving dinner at my sister's with all the kiddies running around.

Mrs. Kuki participated in the Black Friday madness, waking up early and hitting Lowes (of all places), for a bar-b-q/smoker... and picked up a drill set my brother in law wanted. She was back in bed and snoring before I got up.

Grilling the best hot dogs I have ever tasted tonight, and then perparing to go home Monday (and freeze) for a couple of weeks, to get things in order so we can hopefully be back here being snow birds through to March.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 27th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!!!
Hope all is well with everyone and all of the who celebrated American Thanksgiving are not suffering a tryptophan hangover or over type of hangover .

Yesterday was wonderful. It was such a beautiful day with the most lovely bunch of people. My sister was here, my niece, both of their significant others, sis's boyfriend's room mate and d/h and the kids. I think everyone arrived around 1:00 and stayed until around 8 or 9. Everything went without a hitch. The bird was good. No issues at all.

I really like sis's boyfriend. He is very soft spoken and a gentleman, but with a wicked sense of humor. He treats her with respect and that is most impressive to me.

Well I swore I was not going to battle the Christmas shoppers and I mean to stick to that, but last night I found a nice kingsize down comforter online at Sears for $20. I went ahead and bought it online, so I need to buzz down to the store today and pick it up. Fortunately it is already paid for.

I have about 3 items I need from the grocery store. and it will hopefully be a quick trip in to the store and then out.

Hope you all are well and you have a great Friday!

Old November 27th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR. View Post
Delft- Have you scrolled all the way to the bottom of your screen? At the bottom there is a drop box and radio button labeled "Forum Jump" . By default it is filled with the forum you are currently on. All you have to do is click the button to go to the menu for whatever forum you desire.

Harrison's Cave, Barbados
Doug yes I have seen the link, but you can only see this link if one is logged in all of the time, which I do not want to be.
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Admiral

The shoppers are welcome to the crowds and lines. Peggy and I are going to a movie. Happy after-Thanksgiving.
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Admiral

Morning from the Pacific Northwest...........no rain here....sunshine....I'll take it........

Larry's off to work.......no shopping for me......all done already.....

Y'all have a good day.........

Sharon