Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Admiral

Default Need Jazz Recommendation

I'm looking for some light, jazz music, something along the lines of guitar, or piano/bass type jazz.

Anyone have good recommendations? Venice??

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Admiral

Not really but that's because it is too early in the morning yet... I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet. I was going to mention that if you go to Pandora.com and put in the genre, and or artist you like who play the style music you like, it will suggest and play similar. Might be a great way to try out and discover new and wonderful musical experiences...best of all it's free. I love it. Once you find what you like, you can customize your play list.

I might suggest Diana Krall.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old December 15th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Admiral

something along the smooth jazz venue...:ohmmmmmmm.:o..sorry can't help you..i am strictly a rap fan ::::....you might try Peter White or Grammy Winner Norman Brown or George Duke

how soon do you need the music ? i can burn you a cd that has a wide variety of artist and mail it to you, but not sure it would make it by Christmas

sorry, I can't help you with your request
Old December 15th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Venice,

I'm looking for some light jazz to play when young ladies are over for dinner. I heard some nice jazz once, that featured a piano/bass pair and it sounded perfect for the mood.

Do you happen to know of anything like that?!

Old December 15th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Admiral

well I live the life of a monk and have never had a young lady over to my home for an evening for a home cook meal, great wine, smooth jazz and watching the William Hurt/Kathleen Turner movie"Body Heat" :: :: ..but if I were to have that opportunity I would start by playing David Benoit "Full Circle"and then as the evening progressed I would put on Brian Culbertson's "It's On Tonight" and if the evening is really going well conclude your smooth jazz musical selection with Will Downing's 'After Tonight"

and just to keep this thread in the cruise mode..all of the above mentioned artist will be featured on the Capital Smooth Jazz Cruise next October in case your guest likes to combine cruising with smooth jazz also you might have a copy of the latest issue of Wine & Jazz magazine that she can browse while listening to great smooth jazz and watching you prepare dinner while she is drinking her wine

you might go to Amazon.com and listen to a samples...have a nice evening and let me know how it turns out since i will have to live vicariously thru you..it's tough being a monk
Old December 15th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Admiral

"It's tough being a Monk......"

This coming from the guy who has a new young lady to sail with each time he cruises!

You'd never make it as a Monk, my friend -- you couldn't handle cruising alone!

Old December 15th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Okay, if anyone believe's Venice's claims in his first paragraph of his last post appearing above, I guarrrontee I could sell you ANY bridge not only in New York but any place in the world!

Todd
Old December 15th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Admiral

I would suggest mixing a six disc changer with some lighter instrumental jazz plus some jazz vocals. You might consider:

a little blues thrown into the mix as well as some "world" music..

A mix of people like Billie Holiday, Etta James, George Winston (piano), Diana Krall, Andreas Vallenveider and such might be nice depending on your taste.

You might even add Mariza (Portugese Fado singer w/ 4 to 5 guitars and the guitara Portugesa)...

or Lila Downs, a Mexican Jazz singer with a fantastic world jazz band from literally every continent on Earth. One of her musician actually comes from about fifty miles from Antarctica. This band is amazing and she sings in English, French, Mayan, Mixtek, Zapotek and Spanish. She is one of my many Faves if you can't tell.

Do some youtube searches and try some of them on for size.
Old December 15th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Admiral

One Lila Downs youtube you should sample "Agua de Rosas." I'd make you a link but I don't know how to do it! Sorry!

See if she is your mood!
Old December 16th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Admiral

Chuck great suggestions.might also want to consider "Buena Vista Social Club", the Grammy Award Winner that features the great Jazz musicians of Cuba.....New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival just announced their 2010 line up which features alot of artists who are considered "world jazz" performers...the danger is that Mean Dean's guest might focus more of her attention on the music instead of him ::

Mean Dean..remember I am a reformed Catholic alter boy who at one time wanted to be a Priest until I figured out that I could not give up girls for lent, less alone for life ::

I don't cruise single because I can't afford the single supplement and from time to time I have been known to have the same cabin mate for 2 cruises in a row....if I could find a female cruising partner that would treat me to my jazz cruises and have a good group health plan, I would gladly consider a permanent arrangement...the funny thing is the one time I did cruise by myself (my friend had to back out at the last minute)...99% of the boat were couples (it was Valentine's weekend) and the last cruise I took with my then soon to be ex wife, there was a group of 1,000 single women onboard..who is to figure

but this thread is about Mean Dean and everyone's efforts to help him be the perfect host and establishing the perfect mood for his special evening
Old December 16th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Admiral

Ok guys, thank you very much for your suggestions!

Here's what I ordered from the library so far: Peter White, Norman Brown, George Duke, and George Winston.

Chuck, I went through the listing of all 5 Lila Downs CD's at the library, but none of them had "Agua de Rosas."

I'm still more interested in instrumentals right now, over vocals. Anymore good suggestions, let me know!

Old December 16th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Admiral

some older George Benson