Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 27th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Admiral

Default Flying now

How many of you are dreading having to fly now with all the strict regulations and pat downs we are going to be subjected to.. Seventy-nine year old Parrot Pop has an artificial knee and is always patted down, the little card explaining it.. doesnt mean diddly squat...lol. On our arrival home the middle of this month rather than have to go through TSA we opted to take a bus home from NYC and it was absolutely stress free. I vividly remember my son leaving from Boston to Israel and plain clothes private security scanning EVERYBODY in the area, taking people to an office and questioning them... Are we going to be coming to this? How do you feel about flying now.. and will we be profiled?
Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Admiral

With terrorists constantly figuring out new ways to get around and through security and trying new things, don't look for security to slack off any--I expect we will, over time, see more stringent screening that what we have today. Its sad but it's a necessary thing we have to accept and put up with.
Re / profiling, It's not " politically correct " to profile. If a group of tall speckled people were running around blowing up things, we couldn't just watch for tall speckled people--that would cause more fuss than a barrel of monkeys!
I personally don't care for flying but sometimes it's the only way to go so we just have to stiffen up and go with the flow.
Old December 27th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Admiral

I am 6'5" and I cannot sit in a seat ,no matter how short a flight for the entire time .I never have sufficient leg room and I have to get up during the flight .
Secondly ,the idea of not being able to go to the lavatory is ludicrous especially when drinking beverages on the flight .
Old December 27th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Admiral

for those of us that have flown to/from Israel, we are use to the very stringent security requirements...most Americans will say they understand and support the intense build up,now, but 6 months down the road will sing a different tune

I think we have to get use to a post 911 world and make the adjustments...on international flights there will just be a long line of psgrs in front of the restroom 90 minutes out
Old December 27th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Admiral

Default Flying Now

I am glad I don't have to fly. The TSA put passengers in a risky position, their fault, and now they wanrt to "punish" innocent people for their mistakes.

Judy
Old December 27th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

I don't think there is, or ever will be, a ban on using the restrooms.
Old December 27th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenW View Post
I don't think there is, or ever will be, a ban on using the restrooms.
On International flights entering the US no one is NOW allowed to leave their seats. Relieving yourself will be allowed, but only if you remain seated
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 28th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinK n J View Post
I am glad I don't have to fly. The TSA put passengers in a risky position, their fault, and now they wanrt to "punish" innocent people for their mistakes.

Judy
Sorry Judy, but none of that makes any sense. TSA (while they may have their faults) didn't put anyone in a risky position, the terrorist zealots of the world do.

Nobody HAS to fly, and as much as I hate to fly, the "convenience" of it for traveling long distances makes it a better option than other means.

Regrettfully the way the world is may do irreprable harm to the already struggling airline industry... which would send another serious ripple through the economy.... which will affect everyone; even those who don't fly.
Old December 28th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
On International flights entering the US no one is NOW allowed to leave their seats.
This is only during the last hour of the flight, from what I read.

Last edited by DarrenW; December 28th, 2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old December 28th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Admiral

I am strongly against these new rules. I used to fly weekly for business. I flew into Washington National every week before and after (when it was reopened) 9/11. At first, we had to stay in our seats last half hour arriving and first half hour taking off. It took a while but the flight attendants and captains slowly allowed exceptions (easier than cleaning up soiled seats) and then rule was dropped. It didn't make sense then and it still doesn't make sense now.

As for profiling, I am all for it. I am currently in Israel. I went through no extra screening procedures to get here. My bags were checked in Brussels and may have been rechecked in Rome. My hand luggage was never checked except the "domestic" security on the Brussels to Rome flight. When I leave Israel, I will go through a series of questions. It is Israeli security's way of profiling. How you act when answering the questions and what you say determine the level of searching and whether you get on the plane. Israel definitely uses profiling and has not suffered an air bombing/hijacking because of the procedures they follow.

Besides all the hassles at the airports and on the planes this week; the worst I have heard is our Secretary of DHS saying "the system worked." If the system worked, why she is recklessly changing the system.

Saturday I fly Tel Aviv - Rome - Brussels and get to experience any new rules. It is already a long day; I hope it doesn't become an unnecessary hassle.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 28th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenW View Post
This is only during the last hour of the flight, from what I read.
Yes, that's right! Meant to say that, but fingers worked faster than brain
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Captain

Exclamation I Have to Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
On International flights entering the US no one is NOW allowed to leave their seats. Relieving yourself will be allowed, but only if you remain seated
There's a new revenue stream for the airlines......they may start selling "do it yourself" catheters......
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

If someone says you can't go to the bathroom, I always have to go.

After living in Europe for so many years, I am also use to more security. I think we need to get ready for changes to come, and learn to deal with them. Those people on that flight were lucky. The next ones might not be.

I don't like to fly either, but you are still safer in the air than in a car.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old December 28th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootersdad View Post
There's a new revenue stream for the airlines......they may start selling "do it yourself" catheters......
I just bring a 32 ounce lemon-lime Gatorade bottle.
Old December 28th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Admiral

I'm afraid that I won't be able to fly anymore . I've never been happy flying (even before 911) and now I really don't want to fly.

They say that for your health you should drink water to stay hydrated on flights. You should also walk around if you have a long flight. Part of your ticket price includes water or soft drinks. So if you need to "get rid" of some of this liquid an hour before the plane lands... ? Like Luanne, as soon as someone says I can't use the restroom I have to!

What if someone has (or develops) diarrhea while in flight ? Are they not going to be allowed to use the restroom during the last hour? Should everyone now wear adult diapers? (Maybe I should invest in one of those companies?)

Darren, that will work fine for men, but what about us?

And what about having to put everything away an hour before landing? Does that mean I can't read a book or work a crossword puzzle?

While I don't believe that the terrorist's have "won", they've certainly made our "everyday" lives more difficult .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old December 28th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinK n J View Post

Judy

Judy I totally understand what you are saying. While the terrorists are the bad guys here and they alone are responsible for their own actions. The red flags were waving, His father notified the State Dept. that this guy was a security risk, he had been in Yemen, he was on a "bad guy list" but had not yet made it on to the no fly list, he paid cash, he bought a one way ticket, he had no checked luggage. The only thing missing was the tattoo on his forehead that said "I have a bomb in my underpants". The guy should have been caught. Someone missed it and all the signs were there. Now rather than dealing with the failure in the current protocols, they are placing demands on passengers that will do nothing to keep the terrorists off the planes, it will just be harder for them to detonate their bomb once on board.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old December 28th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Re/ bathroom use, pity the poor older guy who has a prostate problem and has to go every 30 minutes or so--- guess he could use a very long condom and then chuck it when he gets off the plane !!
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Six months from now security will be practically nil . I find courthouses in NYC checking people more than JFK and LaGuardia .
Old December 28th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I would not be a bit surprised to find out later that this week was a test of our system. Jim says they do it all the time in the middle east, to see how the Americans will react.

It is important to remember, these people are usually very well trained, and they are educated. They know what they are doing, I just hope the heck we know what we are doing.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Admiral

Apparently this guy and his network are from Yemen.

As Yemen is a coastal country, it would be nice to see a division or two of large-caliber warships off coast, and pound them for a few days.

Several days of main battery rifle fire would take care of a few problems over there.

Old December 31st, 2009, 01:41 PM
Admiral

I flew from San Antonio to Las Vegas on Dec 26th and flew back to San Antonio on Dec 30th. I noticed no real change in procedures at either airport from last July. Throwing coat, shoes, wallet, keys, watch and change in a plastic box and then going through a scanner isn't really much of an imposition except for the fact that it slows things a bit. We could have gotten top the airport an hour before the flight both ways and made it easily.