Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Captain

Default Frozen Friday is here

Today was a day I could have slept in but it just didn't happen. I'm up early as ususal. We had snow all day yesterday and from the looks of things outside, most of the night. Looks like about 8 inches of the white stuff with more forecast for today. The temp is hovering around 8 with the wind picking up as the day goes along. This will make the it feel much colder. The roads have not seen a plow yet so I can't even see where it is right now. Schools were dismissed early yesterday and were cancelled for today by 7 pm last night. This is what we get for living in a very rural area.
Today will be a good day to stay inside. I think I will beging to pack for our upcoming cruise. We have 13 days before we fly to Tampa where I sure hope it is warmer. Do hope the cold weather down there hasn't destroyed the fruit crops. From what I saw on the news they were working hard to save everything.
Everyone have a safe and warm day. Prayers continue for those in need.

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!!!
Well today is pretty much just like yesterday... snow, and more snow lol. D/H is gone to work and the kids are still asleep. We have an orthodotist appointment this morning and apparently my truck is possessed. The brake lights have been coming on all night long. No one is in the truck and it isn't even running, so something is hosed up and it must get fixed today. I am not thrilled about these latest developments but it has to be done. Right now it is out in the driveway with the engine running so the battery can recharge after the brakelights ran it down overnight

Well looks as though d/s's surgery date is set in stone for January 29th. His new knee roller arrived yesterday and I am hopeful it will work for him. If not, I still have the one I made for him from the first surgery.

Fired up the fireplace last night, and I am very happy with it. Works great and generates a ton more heat than we used to with the old gas log that was in it. It's nice.

Well not much else going on here, just have to figure out how I am going to get the truck fixed and get d/s to his appointment all at the same time. Hope you all have a great day!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Good morning Sue, Beenie Weenie and all who follow.

I can't believe I'm posting before RollerDonna. But then again, by the time I finish writing this.....

We have just a heavy dusting of snow but it is still awfully chilly for upper East Tennessee as I'm looking at a current thermometer reading of 15 degrees F.

Am going out today to replenish the larder. A wonderful neighbor sent over yesterday afternoon a giant bowl of the best chicken noodle soup we've ever tasted, southern fried apples and a rasberry cobbler.

I'm so glad that Fran was able to eat a a large bowl of soup considering she still has no appetite and appears to be losing weight. She has promised to get on the scale today. Fran has always resisted checking her weight because she is perpetually afraid that she'll gain. Now, it's for the opposite reason. She is still extremely fatigued, continues with a very low grade fever and has to return to bed after only a short while. As I write she is still asleep from 9:30 pm last night. We are still attributing it to her recovery but to be honest, I'm beginning to get more than a bit concerned. She adamantly refuses to go to the Doctor's prior to our appointment next Thursday and I don't even mention her oncologist.

Well, it's time to start my chores. Everyone stay warm out there!

Prayers and Blessings continue!

Todd
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Ha! Todd, you beat me by about 5 minutes! And I slept in this morning - boy that felt good!
Todd, glad to hear Fran is eating and resting, best thing she could do for recovery, but keep an eye on her just the same...

Yesterday while on the treadmill at the gym I was watching 3 or 4 TVs (there's a whole row of them on different channels) and I couldn't believe the weather woes in the US! Snowstorms, cold, ice, freezing crops, closed highways, it's unbelievable!
And here we are, in the "Great White North" and it's so mild I have not worn a hat or gloves in weeks, and went out yesterday with just a shearling vest instead of a jacket!

Today it is -2C, still only 26F and that's warm for January! We've had bits of snow, but they're just squalls that are intense but last about 10 minutes then they're gone. Very strange....

Today, hubby and I are off on a few errands and to check out a local Museum to see if it's worth bringing visitors to. The sun is out at last and it looks to be a beautiful day!

donna
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Admiral

Good morning "Mates"! Well Sue, it's about 44 degrees this morning, but the weather gal says that it'll be bitter cold this weekend, but THEN we head back to our normal temperatures for this time of the year. ie: 65/70 during the day, and around 50 at night. Sure hope she's correct, for you, and for me too, as we sail on Jan 30th, and I've promised folks all over the world that the weather will be nice for them. (That AlGore global warming has the entire globe freezing it's tookis off!)
Todd, so happy to hear that Fran is doing O.K. I know how she feel about the doctor, and hope, and pray that she'll do just fine without setting foot in there again until her appointment. (They say men are notorious for avoiding the doctor,,,I KNOW I am.)
Beenie, I know you'll get all your chores done. After reading your post for a long time now, I don't know anyone who can "multi-task" any better than you do.
Got to run, but once again, stay warm, and y'all come see us,,,,yhear?

"SKY"
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Mates,

Uh, it is snowing - still, it is just non-ending - sometimes it is small flakes, sometimes big flakes, sometimes it accumulates, other times, not so much, it just continues, grey skies perpetuate....guess when the real cold weather comes this weekend there may be some sun.

Today ds and his gf will be heading up to Old Montreal. DH has day off, I have tons to accomplish. It is discouraging that I can just never get caught up, of course when I go to work every day, I find myself immersed in so many new projects - in one week I find I may be taking two trips focused on my church work - one would be a short Mission trip to Haiti for a week in Aprin, the second would be to the General Assembly of our church denomination in Orlando in July. Also, started a few long term projects that have to be accomplished.

Todd - hopefully Frans sleeping is truly due to just the healing taking place in her body. Glad she ate! I know how hard it is.
Still praying Todd.

BW - glad son's surgery date is all set. As for your truck - my jeep does that from time to time - stuff just turns on - lights and the side power mirrors on the drivers side. A couple weeks ago when I was up early walking the dog I heard a motor running and it was that stupid mirror again. I know it is some random electrical problem. We learned we can't keep the lights on the automatic setting - or they do come on at random times, so we just turn them on and off the old fashioned way. Tho' now, sometimes when you turn them off they don't turn off, so you have to go thru the cycle a couple times on/off - on/off for them to shut off.
Hope you get it figured out, and that is isn't costly.

May something pleasant come across each of your paths today.
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Admiral

good morning from freezing new orleans..you know it's cold when the sugar sticks on the beniets ..reminds me of north dakota

todd..hot gumbo on the way for your bride
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
Light snow forcast all day,but it won't amount to anything, really. I am still sitting here with my stuffed nose, ans I say enough already.. I have gone through a ton of kleenex, for sure.

Yesterday I went out for the first time since last Saturday, and we headed off ro Rhode Island, for me fo get a bead fix....If beads were a drug, I would be on the corner!!! This old old foundry kind of building is packed from the rafters to the cellars with everything connected to the jewelry biz...since Providence was THE costume jewelry capitol of the country, it's just unreal...I know there must be some creatures where I was hunting but, I was brave.....

Todd,good thoughts coming your way,and to all our Cruisemates. Delf, we need you to check in...make it a good one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 8th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Good morning, Mates!

Well, I would venture to say that most of us awoke to freezing temps this morning. The exception would be the west coast and most of Florida. I don't know how RD can handle the cold for months on end! You say, this is normal? Not for this Southern Gal!

We heard about the approaching cold weather for days, so I planned ahead to make a big pot of stew. I cooked it for hours yesterday, and (if I may say so myself) it was yummm-my! Since it is just Don and I here, I shared with our neighbor and his son.

Today, I'm meeting a friend for lunch. She won a $2000 travel voucher, and she want to discuss cruises! She has never cruised before, but has heard about all of mine. Good choice, don't you think?

Todd, I'm glad that Fran if getting better. Keep an eye on her, though. My prayers continue, that the fever will break and her strength returns.

Stay warm and stay safe, today!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Admiral

Default Brrrrr

2" of snow and 28 degrees in this part of NY .Sunny over the next few days but temps in the 20's.
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Good morning, cruisemates...It was a freezing 16 degrees when I got up this morning...It is now, 19 degrees...Major heat wave!!! ha...

Hope you all have a great day and stay warm!!!

Prayers continue for Todd and Fran and all in need...
Susan
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Sue and everyone,
Same weather here in Ill., more snow over night, just finished shoveling yet again and super cold temps for the week-end, UGH! CAn't wait for spring!

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning to all my shivering CruiseMates friends!

Sitting in my Scottsdale office (patio) with coffee in hand, catching up on CM, while sunshine and blue skies compromise my view. Heading to 70s again today.

Mrs. Kuki is out at stretching class, while I'm not

She's then driving down to Tempe to see Kuki Jr., to assist with a grocery shop for him (which I'm assume means pay). Since we're a 1 car family here, I'll spend the day within walking distance of the condo... which will likely lead me to a short jaunt to the barber for a haircut.
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Admiral

A late good morning from trying to warm up FL, but will soon be back down to freezing. They say it may even snow tonight/early tomorrow in Vero Beach.

Everyone stay warm and safe.

Caribbean Trip Reports
Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Good afternoon from sunny Jupiter. Still have a chill in the air, but it's not bad. Tomorrow another cold front comes through.

Last night on the news they showed a little girl collecting Iguanas in her yard. She had a box full of frozen ones. Problem is they thawed out, and so the family took them to a rural area and released them. She sure looked cute and brave picking those things up.

The sea turtles are also freezing and being collected and taken to the sea turtle hospital in Juno Beach. At least they look like they have been able to save them. What an unsual time weatherwise around here!

Todd, my prayers keep going out for Fran. I'm so glad she was able to eat the chicken soup. Hope it helps her regain some strength. You're in my prayers and thoughts constantly.

Take care everyone and stay warm and safe!
Phyll
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Admiral

Morning CM's,,,,,No say it ain't so,,,snow in Vero Beach. Unreal,,,Uh Mr. Gore please splain Lucy,,,

Actually we had snow overnight here also,,,about an inch fell,,,just enough to have schools go in 2 hours late. We just can't take care of the roads like they do up north.

Todd, so glad Fran was able to get that soup down,,hope the healing continues and the fever goes away soon.

Beenie,,,good luck with the truck,,,mine has some type electrial problem and they were never able to completely solve,,,wierd.

Phyll,,had a thing on the news about the turtles freezing up here also. They are collecting them on Va. Beach and tryng to save them. It's a strange time,,,

Sure was thinking about Ben last night when his beloved bama boys won.

Prayers to all those in need,,,and continued ones for Fran & Todd.

TGIF gang,,frozen or not.

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.

Last edited by Travelnut; January 8th, 2010 at 01:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Default Frozen Friday is Here

Good morning from sunny Southern California. No sign of rain, so we'll just enjoy the sweet temps.

Keith joined a new gym through the new HMO. He's set up for a three-hour training session with a pro. If he completes the sessions this month, he'll get his money back.

Beenie, sounds like your truck needs an exorcism!
Todd, I really hope that Fran is on the road to recovery. She really does need to see her doctors, though.

Two weeks from today, we'll be at sea! But today, a trip to Pasadena will sufice. Hopefully, all the traffic will have died down and the Rose Bowl visitors went home.

Judy