Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Admiral

Default SUNDAY Morning and it's still snowing...

Morning Mates, from a lightly-snowing Caribou River. Not a lot of accumulation, but the fields and trees look pretty covered with fresh snow.
It's -3C today, or 26F, not bad for January!

Yesterday was my d/d's 26th birthday which I forgot to mention. I did call her and she was going out to celebrate another friend's birthday as she'd already celebrated hers on Fri. night. Ahh..to be young again...

We were supposed to go out last night, talked about it all week, looked forward to it, then COMPLETELY FORGOT about the event until it was over!!
That's what you get for growing old.

Oh well, at least I enjoyed the book I was reading, part 2 of a trilogy and now I'm on to part 3...

A quiet day here, probably some shoveling, and then some research and planning for the new job will keep me busy. Have a good one!

donna
Old January 10th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Well, temps seem to be moderating here in upper East Tennessee with the current temperature being 22 F.

R/Donna, I'm sure you've probably noted this but being the brain dead individual I am, I've missed if you've stated what your new job is and whether or not it revolves around children.

It's off to our family doctor this morning as Fran's fatigue is becoming markedly worse. Her temperature seems not to be as much of a problem as it had been earlier in the week although she still has a nagging albeit not severe cough. She cannot, however, remain out of bed for more than a couple of hours and we're now six days following her hospital stay. Unlike most physicians, ours has his office open to Noon on Sunday and is closed on Saturday and Wednesday.

Sid, I was so glad to learn you had returned to work. Although yes, I love retirement, I nevertheless miss not only my former profession but also the job of managing the two apartment complexes, especially the senior citizen one, that I did for ten years after moving back home. Both didn't pay anything to speak of compared to wages in the same areas but both jobs provided a tremendous amount of satisfaction, not to mention, now that I'm officially a true "senior citizen," the importance of the manner in which I performed my apartment management duties.

B/W, sounds as if you have a magnificent and very efficient heating system! Am so glad to learn your son isn't afraid of his upcoming procedure and that, pedia wise at least, you D/S has her father's feet.............well, not that he has her father's feet per se, just that.......oh heck, you know what I mean!

Phyll, hope your tummy is still not acting up and that your and everyone else's weather down there in Florida will be a bit warmer today! Like Kuki, I guess you can look out your window onto the golf course and tell by the way the golfers are dressed, what it's like.

Mike, you truly sound like a real chef. They're always saying that if you make an errors, such as putting in too much of an ingredient, say "garlic" for instance, you just add garlic to the name of your dish, i.e.: garlic chocolate cake. Just give your Friday night meal a fancy name and say the kids didn't like it because it was too "rich."

Alan and Katrina, I have a niece and her husband who were just here in East Tennessee (although because of Fran's illness could not get a chance to see) and who live in London. Boy did they get a big surprise. Also, my brother (her father) married a girl from the Isle of Man which is where they lived until moving back here a few years ago.

I'll never forget the time he, along with a prestigious banker from the Island along with the banker's assistant, came over to New York for a few days on business. The temps were literally 12 below zero when I met them at JFK upon arrival, but of course they were on a plane and then an enclosed jetway into the terminal. As we're getting to leave to walk out of the terminal I noticed the young lady was carrying her coat and just wearing her sweater. When I strongly suggested she should put it on, she replied she was fine. I then asked her if she had ever been in the states during a winter and she replied she had one time....to Florida. I insisted she put on the coat she had which itself, really wasn't that heavy. We had taken but about ten steps after leaving the terminal when I glanced back, to find all three had stunned looks on their faces (including my brother who had not been subject himself to such temps in probably over twenty-five years). I burst out laughing when we got to the car and the young lady went, "Oh my God! I can't even breathe!" Of course I had to say something along the lines of, "Gosh, this is not that cold for New Yorkers" which, in fact it certainly was!

Prayers continue along with Blessings for all!

Todd
Old January 10th, 2010, 08:55 AM
First Mate

Gooooood Morning RD, and all CM-ers to follow from a cold and clear central Connecticut ! The temperature here is around 12F, but no wind. Still the term "Winter's Chill" is appropriate.

Our daughter is recovering splendidly. She contunies to gain strength and dexterity oin he lower left arm, and can put a barrett in her hair without difficulty. She has started a new food regimen using a cookbook Mrs. S and I will buy later today at Borders. We are so thankful that everything is turning out favorably.

I am baking bread today using my Italian terra cotta baker (which I got several years ago from King Arthur Flour). We will pair it with some penne and chicken in a light cream suace, with slivered sun dried tomatoes. A green salad will accompany same.

Then we will venture out to Borders, and Pier 1. Hopefully there are some bargains left at Pier 1 for Holiday decorations. Then back to the casa to watch playoffs, and while away the day.

Best wishes and prayers to all who follow.

Stay warm.....and yes, sitting on the boardwalk facing the beach at St. Maartin would be better !

Have a great week folks.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 10th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Admiral

Good morning "Mates". Well, as promised it was a miserable day here in Central Florida yesterday. COLD, and even drizzling rain off and on all day. Orlando got SLEET they say! It's 27 degrees this morning, but the sun is shining, and it'll warm up a bit. Weather lady says that by Friday it'll be back in the 70's!
Donna, sorry to hear you missed your night out last night. The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I only ventured out once yesterday, and that was early in the day, for breakfast at Bob Evans. (Warming up for our cruise in three weeks, 'cause that's where we always go for breakfast before heading to the port for embarkation.)
Got to run, but hope all my "Mates" have a beautiful day, and week. God bless all of you on this beautiful Sunday.

"SKY"
Old January 10th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!!!
I woke up to a balmy 4 below this morning and I am very relieved to look at the 10 day forecast and find no more subzero temps for a while at least! YAY!

The orthodontist jinxed us with all this tonsil talk... yesterday d/d's tonsils blew up even bigger than normal and she started running a temp of 102 after we got back from sledding. This time d/h got to come with us and we had so much fun. It really was a hoot. I'd like to go again today if the sun is shining and it warms up a bit...to at least the 20's. This morning d/d woke up and her headache was gone and her temp was much lower, but slightly higher than normal.

So tomorrow we will call our regular doc and get her in for an appt.

Not too much else is happening here. I imagine we'll probably stay around here today and see if d/d is serious about getting sick or if she is feeling better today.

Hope you all have a great day!

Old January 10th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Captain

So glad to be able to post this morning. I completly lost yesterday. I had a 24 bug and it really put me down. Littles grandaughter had it on Thursday (I kept her all day) then Friday evening her Mom and big sister came down with it. I woke up around 4 am yesterday with it. By noon d/h was home from work with it. Thank goodness we have a 2 bathroom house! The only 2 people well were my SIL and his mom....they have it today. I am still weak but feeling 100% better than yesterday. Glad this happened now rather than later, don't want to be sick on our cruise.
Will spend today not doing a whole lot. I am washing all the bed clothes and blankets to kill off any germs still hanging around. I have already sprayed a can of lysol on everything in the house. Over Kill maybe but don't want this again.
Hope everyone has a good day and stays warm.

Prayers to all in need.

Old January 10th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Default Brrrrr

14 degrees and sunny in beautiful NY
Old January 10th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone:

Just a quick good morning before taking the grandkids home. I just finished cleaning up the breakfast. The kids wanted Grandpa Mike McMuffins so I had to oblige. They are just baking powder biscuits with eggs, bacon and cheese. This meal turned out better than Friday's meal. I pigged out and ate three biscuits with butter and blackberry jam.

Betty is getting the kids ready for the day and they will be heading home soon. Betty is going to just lay in bed after that. Her neck and shoulder has less pain but still hurts.

Todd: I hope the doc can help give Fran a bit more pep and do something about the cough.

When Betty takes the kids home I may venture out with Kramer for a bit of a longer walk. It's +10F, with an expected high of +22F, so it looks like the sub-zero temperatures are behind us...for now.

I hope everyone has a great Sunday.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 10th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good morning cruisemates! I'm wearing a sweater while enjoying my coffee on the patio, so that means the morning is a bit chillier. But we're supposedly heading to the 70s once again. (The temperature not the "era".

Have to swing by my mother's today to hang some pictures, and it's payday for her caregiver. I'm hoping my mother quits her interior decorating soon, or there may not be room for her. More "chatchkees" per sq ft in that place than I've ever seen. Guess she's enjoying herself, so that part is important.

I have a golf game in the south (Chandler) which isn't too far from ASU, so Mrs Kuki is going to drive me and go spend time with Kuki Jr. while I'm golfing.

Big game in town today, with the Cardinals taking on Green Bay. A better Cardinals team best show up today than I saw last week, or the city isn't going to be too happy.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 10th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Default Sunday Morning and It's Still Snowing . . .

God morning from sunny Southern California. Like Kuki, it's sweater weather right now but will be in the 70's today.

RD, one year Keith and I forgot it was our wedding anniversary!
Todd, please convey our sincerest hopes to Fran that prayers and the doctor will help get her to achieve a full recovery.

Keith plans to fix his delicious orange French toast and bacon for breakfast. Last night, he located a nice little restaurant in Temecula for us to have lunch on the way to San Diego next week.

A shower is in order, some newspaper reading, and the Sunday crossword awaits.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Judy