CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Short Repositioning Cruise To Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/370670-short-repositioning-cruise-alaska.html)

venice January 10th, 2010 06:07 PM

Short Repositioning Cruise To Alaska

my best friend's husband (who has never been on a cruise) advised her to find a short (less than 7 days) repositioning cruise that goes to Alaska in the spring from the west coast

can anyone help with suggestions ? thanks in advance

April January 11th, 2010 12:09 AM

I dont think that there are any ? or if so very few from the West Coast----thinking Seattle that that are that short ? under 7 days that is--and go to Alaska.
Ive done one from San Francisco up to Vancouver and then another one from Seattle that was only 4 days but didnt go to Alaska---just to ports in Canada-----Victoria and Naniamo-----
Alaska is great-----and calm waters------I've done the roundtrip from SF and back several times and it does get choppy going around the bend--lol--
Enjoy whatever they choose
Cheers
April

Lisa January 11th, 2010 03:28 AM

There will be some repo cruises from LA to Vancouver or SF to Vancouver or
Seattle to Vancouver. They just need to check the cruise line web sites. If it were me, I would do a 7 day repo from LA to Vancouver .jmho These cruises will range in length from 7 to 2 days.

katlady January 11th, 2010 08:32 AM

Ha Ha I found it. There is only one. Carnival Spirit does a 6 day May 5, 2010. Starts in Vancouver ends in Seattle. Here are the ports. It's pricey and I don't see the point when you could do a seven day for less money. But I did find. :D

Vancouver, British Columbia; Cruise Inside Passage; Juneau, Alaska; Skagway, Alaska; Ketchikan, Alaska; Seattle, Washington

katlady January 11th, 2010 09:39 AM

10 day round trip out of San Francisco on the Sea Princess is about $200 more then the Carnival Spirit. Plus it starts on 5/22/10 so you can see more whales at the time of year. They are mirgrating back from Hawaii and Mexico. You also have more ports and you cruise under the Golden Gate bridge which is pretty cool. San Francisco, California; Ketchikan, Alaska; Juneau, Alaska; Haines, Alaska; Cruise Tracy Arm; Victoria, British Columbia; San Francisco, California

If she wants something shorter do what Lisa suggested and take the NCL Star out of LA it ends in Vancouver. It is a seven day cruise, but it's about $300 cheaper then the Carnival Spirit cruise.This one leaves May 1 (not the best time for seeing whales in my opinion). The ports are Los Angeles, California; Juneau, Alaska; Ketchikan, Alaska; Cruise Inside Passage; Vancouver, British Columbia.

Donna January 11th, 2010 09:42 AM

I think the problem with the shorter repo cruise, you don't really get to any ports, so why bother. At least you can do one from Seattle for 7 days and see and do things, JMHO... A cruise like that doesn't really give you what a regular schedule cruise is like with port calls, excursions, etc.

Mike M January 11th, 2010 11:08 AM

There are some shorter (2, 3, 4 days) "West Coast" cruises that you could do but nothing that really does Alaska.

I would strongly advise your friend's husband to go for the seven day, inside passage, cruise out of Seattle or Vancouver. He will not regret it.

Take care,
Mike

venice January 11th, 2010 06:58 PM

we were looking for a shorter cruise because we are going to combine it with a train ride across Canada to Calgery

mb890 January 11th, 2010 06:59 PM

the shorter ones are definitely fun.

katlady January 11th, 2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1267467)
we were looking for a shorter cruise because we are going to combine it with a train ride across Canada to Calgery

Sounds like the NCL star would work it ends in Vancouver then you can hop the train. :D