Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Pushing Leno Back

NBC finally announced that it's canceling Jay Leno's 10 pm show starting on Feb 12.

NBC Universal's Chairman of TV Entertainment, Jeff Gaspin took the stage at the company's annual press tour, and instead of the usual discussion of programming and scheduling changes, today there was no denying that late-night programming was priority No. 1.

Gaspin says his goal is to put Leno back at 11:35pm for a half-hour show, followed by an hour of Conan followed by Jimmy Fallon. BUT, he said that nothing has been decided yet, and that he wouldn't confirm deals with any of the three players.

The problem is that Conans ratings are down - below Letterman. So what do you do with him.

Personally - I would dump Leno. He had a year of bad ratings against Letterman when he first took over. Plus, I like Conan far better than either Leno or especially Letterman.
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Admiral

I don't watch any of the 3...I watch George Lopez and miss Arsenio Hall
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Administrator
Admiral

It didn't sound good from the beginning. There was no way Leno was going to pull in viewers five nights a week in prime time. He would have had to triple his Tonight Show viewers to stand a chance.

I watched Conan for many years and he got tiring when he hosted Late Night. I think they should put him back in that spot. Fallon is unwatchable and should just be given his walking papers. Perhaps they could develop a pilot for him and let that fail. They did it for Andy Richter about six times.

I prefer Craig Ferguson and have been watching him for a few years.

Oh well: At least they tried.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Admiral

I'm originally from Indiana, but wouldn't give you 2 cents to watch "Letterman". Conan is a little bit better, but not much. Leno has just turned out to be a looser, and I'll never watch him again. Lopez is a TOTAL waste of time, so I guess the best of the bunch is Ferguson.
God bless Johnny Carson,,,,IMO nobody will ever be able to match his "late night skills".

"SKY"
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Admiral

Once more Ken "Skymaster" has said it well.

I used to enjoy Dave Letterman when he knew how to be funny and didn't use the show as a political platform...Now he just resembles a dirty old man, who is bitter and crotchety.

Leno is O.K. but no one can fill Johnny Carson's shoes, he was the master of Late Night in his time.

I would love to see Craig Ferguson moved into a decent time slot. He is a million times funnier than any of these guys, the only problem is I can rarely stay up to watch him so I guess I need to DVR him. If he were on at 11:00 I would watch him pretty much every night.

Who is Lopez?

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Admiral

Leno is a Bass without the B. I wish he would go away. I can't watch any late night shows cause I get up a 4:45 AM. I agree with Mike I have seen some of the Craig Ferguson and he is funnier then the others. I also like Letterman.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default I don't watch any of them but.....

This has to be the most stupid move since "NEW" Coke....Five years ago,the powers that be decide to change the number one late night show, because Conan got antsy? So the countdown began, and no one had the cohones to change, what they must have felt at the 11 th hour, was, a shot in the foot!

Sooooo, Nowww, they want to give Leno a half an hour....he has just warmed up then....wham! Conan gets an hour, but later....and Jimmy, Jimmy WHO????

Talk about stupidity, at that big corner office....oy!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 11th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Default Pushing Leno Back

Keith and I predicted that the new Leno time slot wouldn't last. We don't watch any of the people mentioned. I don't understand why Leno is being given carte blanche: old time slot, same old show. He failed, after all! Why doesn't he get the boot?

Judy
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Admiral

I don't watch any of the "Big 3" but Letterman is my least favourite. Nothing is funny except maybe Stupid Pet Tricks.
Leno has gone downhill, Conan is unbearable...and that leaves me pining for good old Johnny Carson. There'll never be another one like him!

donna
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Admiral

I have to agree with most of the above posts but then again, I rarely if ever watch late night TV anymore. I therefore have no idea who Ferguson is.

As someone stated, Letterman used to be okay but I too think he self destructed with all his political crap and moral misbehavior. I remember when retail stores used to avoid politics like the plague if only because they didn't want to disturb the sensibilities of their customers who were of another political persuasion than their own. Same goes with TV hosts. To prove my point, just look at Carson. All of todays hosts are virtually caricatures.

I find Conan O'Brien to be juvenile and as for Jimmy Fallon, I think he's just plain boring.

If and until they come up with a worthy replacement for Johnny Carson, I won't be interested. With several hundred million people out there, there HAS to be someone good for the Tonight Show slot even if the individual is as yet not that well established. The trick is to find them.

Todd
Old January 11th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Admiral

I like CSI & L&O reruns instead of talk shows
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Admiral

[QUOTE=beenie weenie;1267340]Once more Ken "Skymaster" has said it well.

...Now he just resembles a dirty old man, who is bitter and crotchety.

B/W,

I resemble that remark!

Todd
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie View Post
Once more Ken "Skymaster" has said it well.

...Now he just resembles a dirty old man, who is bitter and crotchety.

B/W,

I resemble that remark!

Todd
Hardly... I would actually stay up late at night to see you on TV

Old January 11th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

That is so funny. I like Craig Ferguson, but I am amazed I am the only one here who likes Conan. I totally admit he is an acquired taste (like Letterman was at first) but I think he is the edgiest out there. For me the rest are just boring predictable jokes.

At least the network more or less agrees with me even if you all don't .

I do agree with you all on Letterman, he stopped being funny at all years ago. I liked the new Leno show at first, but doing the same format night after night was a dumb move. We want variety in a variety show, and the last thing we want is plugs! Having nothing but plugs is what ruined late night shows, so Leno tries to make it funny by pointing out the obvious - "pay for your plug." How about we just skip the "big name" celebrity doing plugs? who cares?
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Admiral

I "tried" to watch Leno, but it just didn't happen . If I don't turn the TV off, I usually watch Nick At Night or TVLand. I can set the sleep timer and I'm not really going to miss anything, since I've seen these forever!

I'd also love to see Todd on TV with Beenie!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Ya know Paul, I think Conan has comedic talent and can watch him from time to time without complaint...but he reminds me of the goofy guy who lived down the road, he was pleasant enough, and funny, I liked the time we spent together but there just isn't any chemistry to build a long term relationship on .
Craig Ferguson is a guy I think could really do the job if he could get out of that current awful time slot. He works for Worldwide Pants (under Letterman's umbrella) so perhaps Letterman will pass the torch to him when he finally gives up the ghost.
Fern I think there's a road trip in our future...let's go see The Todd Show!

Old January 11th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I liked Conan but after many years of watching him he became repetitive and the same shtick got old. Most of his stuff on the Tonight Show is the same as it was on Late Night. I do still love "In the Year 3000".

I hope everyone doesn't take this the wrong way but while I loved watching Johnny I have to break the news: Johnny's Dead........ and he won't be coming back.

unless Carnac has something up his sleeve.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Admiral

Sorry B/W and Fern, but if I were to be given a show on television in today's insufferably politically correct environment, everyone from the executives to the potential advertisers would choke to death!

Todd
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Admiral

Todd..you could be on local cable and co=host with your old friend from Dutchess County..G. Gordon Liddy
Old January 12th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Sorry B/W and Fern, but if I were to be given a show on television in today's insufferably politically correct environment, everyone from the executives to the potential advertisers would choke to death!

Todd
Fine with me....

Old January 12th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Admiral

Every time I accidentally tune to "Letterman", my first thought is: "HMMM, what ever happened to that highly entertaining "Test Pattern"? It was far better than this guy!"
Seriously, one name that hasn't been mentioned, and maybe I'm the only one here old enough to remember him, is "Steve Allen". He was the original "Tonight Show" host, and IMO was second only to Johnny. I loved his sillyness, and some of the skits he'd present. God rest his soul too, but in my book, he was GREAT! (Great musician too!)

"SKY"
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Back when Steve Allen was on the air, we lived in the country and could only get 2 channels 3 (CBS) and UHF(NBC) and that was when the stars were in the proper alignment and my brother would sit next to the TV with an aluminum foil hat. My bed time was before he came on, so I never got to see him

Old January 12th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Every time I accidentally tune to "Letterman", my first thought is: "HMMM, what ever happened to that highly entertaining "Test Pattern"? It was far better than this guy!"
Seriously, one name that hasn't been mentioned, and maybe I'm the only one here old enough to remember him, is "Steve Allen". He was the original "Tonight Show" host, and IMO was second only to Johnny. I loved his sillyness, and some of the skits he'd present. God rest his soul too, but in my book, he was GREAT! (Great musician too!)

"SKY"
I do miss the test pattern. The national anthem would play with the American flag in the background then the test pattern would come on for a minute or two then the snow. So much better then the infomercials they play now. Although since the movie "the Ring" came out the snow isn't as relaxing as it use to be.:???: Steve who???

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 12th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Steve Allen invented late night comedy as far as I am concerned, and I was just a kid when he was on. "Sqwack!" In Phoenix we had a GREAT cutting edge kid's show called Wallace & Ladmo. Steve Allen had some of their characters on, "Hub Cap & the Wheels" a rock band who had a hit song based on Maynard G. Krebs, "Work, Work, a Dirty Word"

Ahhh the memories.

Anyway - I saw replays of Conan just ripping NBC to shreds last night. He came out and said "Hi, I'm Conan, the new host of the Carson Daily Show"

Then he said "What do I plan to do for the balance of my contract? Work the schedule they give me while stealing every office supply I possibly can."
Old January 12th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Admiral

It seems to me that George Carlin ripped off the "Hippy Dippy Weather Man" bit from Steve Allen too. I vaguely remember Steve Allen doing a very similar routine. "Man on the Street" was another of Steve Allens regular bits. Sooooo Funny! He was a real innovator IMO.

"SKY"
Old January 12th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Ken,

I too remember Steve Allen's man on the street. You know, I'm getting so senile I forgot all about him. Now ALL the memories are coming back, the original version of "Dragnet" that debuted in I believe the around '52, "I Led Three Lives," "Life of Riley" (okay who initally played "Riley" on TV ... and no fair looking it up!) I also remember "Racket Squad," Our Miss Brooks with Eve Arden and of course I, as I'm sure do millions of others, miss The Ed Sullivan Show. One of the funniest skits I ever saw was on that show at least a couple of times and was called "The Glutton."

Ah, time flies, doesn't it?

Todd
Old January 12th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Admiral

I'm a Letterman fan
Old January 12th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Sometimes I think the huge salaries of these so called " comedians / stars " goes to their head to the point where they think they are completely irreplaceable.
I think that's what happened to Letterman, whom I never thought was funny to begin with, but in the past few years he has become more of an old and dirty minded has been who doesn't know to take his millions and leave.It's pretty apparent he has sunk to new lows in order to try to stay afloat.
Re./ O'Brian, I've never seen anything funny about that guy from the word go but certainly don't blame him for taking the money that some so called t.v. exec threw at him.
Of the three, I think Jay Leno was the best and made the prediction when he was moved that it would be a fiasco. Seems like I got lucky in my prediction, but one thing we all don't have to worry about--- with all the unemployment, layoffs, more people going on welfare, food stamps, etc., etc., all the time, I seriously doubt that any of these three will have to forage for food.
Call me old and crotchety if you want but were it up to me, I'd give them all the pink slip, replace their late night " comedy " with some old black and white classic movies-- you might be surprised at how many people would enjoy some real entertainment for a change !!
Just my humble opinion , which as usual means nothing to no one but me and my cat !!
Old January 12th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Moon Over Miami with Betty Grable and Don Ameche was on TV when I left for work. It was pouring down rain. I wanted to make hot chocolate and kick back with a good movie. But I came to work instead. I really need to win the lotto.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 12th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Kat, just keep pluggin' away at the lotto. Here in Ky. at Christmas a 30 ish couple won $128.8 MILLION in the Powerball lotto.
They both worked at a small factory where they made parts for Toyota, who has a large auto factory here.
He went out on Christmas Eve for some last minute stocking stuffers and decided to stop at a mini-mart to buy 3-$1 dollar tickets to place in three different stockings. The clerk made a mistake and gave him one ticket for
$ 3. dollars. He told the clerk he made a mistake -that he had wanted 3 different $ 1 dollar tickets. But, he decided to keep the one ticket and get three more for $ 1. dollar each. On Sunday he found out his $ 3. dollar ticket was the winning one--had it not have been for a mistake on the clerks part, he may have not won, or may have given away the winning ticket.
Anyway, they're $ 128.8 million dollars richer--at least for now until the tax man steps in and takes a huge portion of it to send overseas !!
Ahhh--such is life--I had bought a $ 3. ticket too and didn't even get a number correct.