Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I must say, some of the history behind screen names are just so interesting, I had no idea. Mine is not origional, just what I started with from day one, same one on my BC...Nothing interesting like some :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 12th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dirknme
Default Cavmom

This is a long story, so refresh your cup of cofee and read along.

I first became a Cav(alry) mom 18 years ago when my son enlisted in the Army as a cav scout. Since then, he has served in the continental US as well as Hawaii, Korea, and 3 tours in Iraq. He has always been outstanding in all of his training , been awarded the Bronze Star, and just this month he was promoted to the rank of SFC.
As I was not able to be near him throughout the years, I worked at Ft Carson in a troop store in the Cav barracks area. besides my work, I often baked birthday cakes for the kids (soldiers), made home cooked meals, and was available after work to lend an ear to the guys having problems. More often than not, they called me Mom.
When the war began, I found it so hard to say goodbye to my soldiers. That's when I began handing out cartoon bandaids on which I had written "come home safely"or "you're in my prayers." As I gave these to my boys, I told them that my prayer was that the bandage would be the only first aid they would need. I also gave out lots of mom hugs to those whose parents couldn't be there.
I still hand out bandaids when I meet a deploying soldier.
The funny thing is that every once in a while, I will meet one of those soldiers who remembers me and he will take a worn bandaid out of his wallet and tell me that he has carried it since he first left for Iraq.
Who says that small gestures are quickly forgotten? Not me, that's for sure. Maybe when we meet, I'll tell you about the first wave of soldiers who returned from Iraq and the unforgettable reunion we had.
Cavmom, a/k/a Marianne
Old January 13th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Admiral

I'm a big fan of the band Aerosmith. I thought about changing my screen name to Robin (my real name) but didn't know how so I just left it alone.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old January 16th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have used the name VegasCrossfire since we bought our first Chrysler Crossfire in 2003 and joined a forum. At the time, we lived in Las Vegas. We have had 3 Crossfires and now live in AZ - no longer in Las Vegas, but I will keep the name, as others know me that way.
1979 NCL Skyward, 1981 NCL Starward, 1984 NCL Starward, 1989 Carnival Tropicale, 1989 NCL Starward, 1992 NCL Norway, 1993 Regency Regent Sea, 1995 NCL Windward, 1997 RCCL Legend, 1998 RCCL Legend, 2002 RCCL Grandeur, 2004 HAL Ryndam, 2004 RCCL Explorer, 2005 RCCL Splendour, 2005 RCCL Serenade, 2006 RCCL Vision, 2007 RCCL Freedom, 2008 RCCL Monarch, 2009 RCCL Mariner

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 21st, 2010, 03:51 PM
Admiral

When I 1st found this site my DH was having a fit because not only did I have us booked on our 1st cruise,,,we also were going to Antigua with our daughter & her family. He said I was "nuts" If I thought he was going to fly to Antigua. At that time he hated to fly,,,

So guess I'm just Nuts about traveling,,,hence the name,,,Travelnut.

Oh,,,FYI,,,he didn't go with us to Antigua,,,,that time. But he sure was on that plane the next time we all decided to go. He didn't think I would go without him,,,silly man. Needless to say he fly"s now.

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old January 21st, 2010, 06:55 PM
Passenger

First of all - Marianne - That was just beautiful!! Hope you don't mind if I use that bandaid idea with a special soldier!

Well, I knew I needed an easy to remember screen name because I can be scattered with things like that. It's my first name and where I live. I did have another account here before, when I was planning my first cruise. But I forgot it and had to start over.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 03:52 AM
Familiar Face

Don't post much because the super highway between brain and fingers has turned into a dirt road. Okie because I'm from Oklahoma and Tex because DW is from Texas. After 44 years, it still makes for an interesting OU-Texas weekend. Jim/Beverly
Old January 22nd, 2010, 05:29 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellieinNapa View Post
First of all - Marianne - That was just beautiful!! Hope you don't mind if I use that bandaid idea with a special soldier!

Well, I knew I needed an easy to remember screen name because I can be scattered with things like that. It's my first name and where I live. I did have another account here before, when I was planning my first cruise. But I forgot it and had to start over.
Kellie. Small world. I lived in Napa for about 20 yrs before moving back to the midwest about 5 years ago. Miss that climate and Rutherford Grille Restaurant!!!
Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:59 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board View Post
Kellie. Small world. I lived in Napa for about 20 yrs before moving back to the midwest about 5 years ago. Miss that climate and Rutherford Grille Restaurant!!!
Yes, it really is a small world! 20 years, huh? I love the climate here but the last few days it's been raining pretty hard. No flooding, so that's good. lol Rutherford Grill is still going strong of course - and lots of new restaurants too. We eat and drink well. Hope you're still getting some of that lovely Napa Valley wine!
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:07 PM
First Mate

I'm from NE Florida also known as the First Coast which comprises Fernandina, Jacksonville and St. Augustine.

My original screen name was JaxGuy (JAX being the airport code for Jacksonville)

Old January 26th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Captain

I just plain seem to have too little time. Too little time to cruise, too little time to enjoy my favorite message board : ) It seems to be my catch all excuse so I thought I'd put it to good use as a screen name.
Old January 27th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dirknme
Default To kellieinnapa

Please use my bandaid thing for as many as you wish....those soldiers will remember that little kindness. Heck, send one for everyone in his/her platoon!
marianne
Old January 27th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry - really boring - just my initials.
Old January 27th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Admiral

Default Parrot mom

Always have been and always will be a Parrot Mom... I am a parrot mom to five parrots, two greys (yes they talk), a 17 year old Senegal, a newly rescued two y ear old Black Headed Caique and a rescued lutino cockatiel of unknown age....plus the numerous birds that come and go in my little bird boarding business...I act as their foster/bird sitter mother while their folks are on vacation or business..and like any mother, I fret over each one.
Old January 28th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Admiral

With all the new people here since this thread was activie I decided to bring it up to current .
Old January 28th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Admiral

When my daughter was born, I used to refer to her as Princess [name] of Oakville. When my son was born, he became Prince [name] of Oakville. As their mother, well, it only made sense that I was the Queen.

The kids often refer to us as King and Queen.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 28th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Admiral

Where is Oakville ?I've been to Toronto ,Cornwall ,Kingston and London ,Ontario .
Old January 28th, 2011, 11:21 AM
First Mate

I used to use a combination of my last name and my and DH first initials. After a bad internet experience, I needed to change and give myself a new start.

I took the first three letters of our first dog's and our second dog's names. The first dog has been gone for over three years. Her name was Hailey. The second dog, Mia, is seven years old. I do not plan to change the name to add our newest member, Holly. It can always be used if I ever need to change again.

Old January 28th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Familiar Face

I work for a local Budweiser distributor. I have for 11 years. I tell everyone that I'm not the beer man, I'm the BUD man. One time when my one of my costomers was introducing me to a compitition supervisor, the supervisor said "Oh, I hear that you are the Bud man around here", and he said it in a condisending voice. My costomer but in and said "Hey, it's Mr. Bud Man to you." I like that, and use it a few places as my handle.

Carnival- Freedom- December 2008
Royal Caribbean- Navigator of the Seas- February 2011
Old January 28th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Admiral

We have dogs...my name is John, a common name so my lawyer (solicitor) used to call me "Johnthedog" I rather liked it. I use a zero, as the name ''as spelt'' was taken on Tripadvisor, I often wonder if JOHNTHE0G got blame for things that Johnthedog may have done...if you see what I mean.....
I use this name wherever I go & although advised to change it to avoid stalkers I will not, I would rather not post.
Old January 28th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Where is Oakville ?I've been to Toronto ,Cornwall ,Kingston and London ,Ontario .
Oakville is west of Toronto, waaaay south-west of Cornwall and Kingston, and south east of London.

In Canada, we measure distance by how long it takes us to drive somewhere .... so Oakville is about a 30 to 40 minute drive from down-town Toronto. It takes about 4.5 hours to drive to Cornwall and about 1.5 hours to drive to London.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 28th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to T C Send a message via AIM to T C

Mine is also very original ... my initials

But why is the rum gone? ~ Capt. Jack Sparrow

also booked: 10/10/13 Carnival Victory B2B, 01/12/14 Carnival Sunshine
Old January 28th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Default Aerosmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
I'm a big fan of the band Aerosmith. I thought about changing my screen name to Robin (my real name) but didn't know how so I just left it alone.

Do you watch Steven Tallarico on American Idol ?
Old January 28th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Default Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
Oakville is west of Toronto, waaaay south-west of Cornwall and Kingston, and south east of London.

In Canada, we measure distance by how long it takes us to drive somewhere .... so Oakville is about a 30 to 40 minute drive from down-town Toronto. It takes about 4.5 hours to drive to Cornwall and about 1.5 hours to drive to London.
I forgot that I've also been to Ottawa .
Old January 28th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I'll stick with my original explanation although it wasn't the true story...

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 28th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
I'll stick with my original explanation although it wasn't the true story...
So you're a big fat liar???

What's the real story?

When I started working for an IT department, the guy who set up the email accounts and screen names asked me if I had one already. I didn't, so this is what he came up with. I've used it in one form or another ever since.

Carnival Magic-3/12, Carnival Magic-11/11, Carnival Glory-2/11, Carnival Splendor-8/10, Carnival Conquest-1/10, Mariner of the Seas-3/09, Carnival Spirit-1/08, Grand Princess-12/06, Rhapsody of the Seas-12/05, Grand Princess-12/04, NCL Dream-12/03, MS Zuiderdam-12/02

Old January 28th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindnet View Post
So you're a big fat liar???

What's the real story?

When I started working for an IT department, the guy who set up the email accounts and screen names asked me if I had one already. I didn't, so this is what he came up with. I've used it in one form or another ever since.

In 1998 I was working for a company who just set up the internet .I was given a screen name that I used for several years on line ,a combination of my first name and that of another employee .
Old January 28th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Familiar Face

I like little brown sparrows - they're unassuming little birds, the name was taken so I added my DH & my anniversary.
Old January 29th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Admiral

I quite obviously have little imagination when it comes to such things.

Todd
Old January 29th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Admiral

I live in the desert and love to cruise - hence dezertcruzer!