Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default This is History

This one you all should get. Remember I said it was history. Tell us where it was taken and what is its importance.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

A wild stab - the Sinai Peninsula.
Old January 15th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Paul, I believe you are right. St Katherine's Monastery?

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old January 15th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Admiral

I don't have a clue, Ray, but I'll throw out a wild guess. Jerusalem.

Todd
Old January 17th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

My "wild guess" would be somewhere in Haiti...maybe in Port Au Prince??
1979 NCL Skyward, 1981 NCL Starward, 1984 NCL Starward, 1989 Carnival Tropicale, 1989 NCL Starward, 1992 NCL Norway, 1993 Regency Regent Sea, 1995 NCL Windward, 1997 RCCL Legend, 1998 RCCL Legend, 2002 RCCL Grandeur, 2004 HAL Ryndam, 2004 RCCL Explorer, 2005 RCCL Splendour, 2005 RCCL Serenade, 2006 RCCL Vision, 2007 RCCL Freedom, 2008 RCCL Monarch, 2009 RCCL Mariner

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Banned
Captain

It is indeed the Monastery of the Burning Bush, or St. Catherine's...
Built around the alleged site of the burning bush of Moses lore.
Old January 17th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I was never there because I did not feel well the day our ship arrived at the port, but my wife went and I have seen many pictures. I live in the Sonora desert which is the lushest desert in the world in terms of plant and animal life.

The Sinai and so much of the area around there is so desolate, not even a single cactus. That was one reason the burning bush was such a revelation - it was literally the only plant within miles of land. They say the bush is still there still grows, but no cutting of the plant has ever survived anywhere else.

Furthermore, the library here at Saint Catherines probably has more world history in it than any other in the world since the Romans burned the library in Alexandria in the first century (thanks, Romans! Geeze).

It was established in the 3rd Century AD just when Christianity was becoming an accepted and not persecuted religion with the help of Roman Emperor Constantine. This is one reason why Constantinople is one of the most important cities in the world (now Istanbul). It was the original "capitol" of Christianity and is still the home of the the orthodox papacy, the orthodox equivalent to Rome and and the Vatican. There are 300 Million Orthodox Christians in the world, but their existing "Vatican" in Istanbul looks like little more than a few commercial buildings.

There is a note written by Moses at St Catherines saying it is holy place, signed with his handprint. That is the reason the monastery has survived throughout the centuries.

So - I hope my guess was right, now that I wrote all that - because Ray has not been back.
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default answer

Paul, Marc and Capt Tennille you got it right. Thanks paul for giving some history.

We docked at Sharm El Shiek, Egypt and took a taxi up to St Catherine Monestary. it was a very long dirve thru the desert. We went through a sand storm.

At the Monestary is where Moses Received the 10 commandments. Yes this is the Burning bush. We went inside to musem they have there but were NOT allowed photos inside. Here is another pictrue of the Monestary.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!