Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Default Credit card companies benefiting from donations

It is just come to my attention through "move-on.org" that our well known credit companies are taking their 3% of our donations to Haiti. How low can they get...
Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I could have sworn I heard yesterday,that many were NOT doing this....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 17th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Amex has waived it's fee for Haiti donations, Capital One does not charge its fee for any charitable donations.

I personally think it's great for credit card companies to waive their fee for donations to catastrophic disasters.

I do not believe that they should be required forgo their charge for all charities. The charges for standard charitable donations would be passed on to card holders.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 17th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Trip and Mike, thanks for debunking this slander.

Why would anyone believe anything from moveon.org versus CruiseMates?

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old January 17th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Admiral

Sorry Marc., but they WERE..but had since changed their policy and Mike M...this is a catastroph that we here in the US cannot imagine. I personally do not support one well known organization, because of my husbands personal experience and a disaster that happened several years ago where the victims were treated terribly in the next city to us, but the M.D.s with out borders and the Salvation Army. One cruiser told me that 5% of the $$ he donates to a local charity is deducted.. Being retired and on a limited income we do not have the $$$ that we wish we had to support many organizations as we'd like and from now on.. we will send a personal check. The organization I quoted is pretty darn reliable... and it seems the credit cards were "shamed" into changing their policy.. We here in the US remember the scandal of the one I'm not mentioning after 9/11
Old February 10th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

You can donate through Royal Caribbean and assist their efforts to take supplies to Haiti.
Old February 10th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Admiral

Default Donations to Haiti

Spoke to a friend in Ft.Lauderdale whose brother in law works for RC and she told me exactly what RC is doing and the $$ they have spent to get their Haitian employees all home to find their relatives..etc. etc. Its a wonderful story and when I hear or read stories about people being upset about the ship going to Labadee I try to set them straight.. Cruisers are generous people.. we who have much..My donation went to Doctors Without Borders..
Old February 10th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post

Great point Marc!!! Thanks to Trip and Mike for getting the truth out there.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old February 10th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra View Post
Great point Marc!!! Thanks to Trip and Mike for getting the truth out there.

Debra
This is hardly slander. This was obviously occuring, and just recently stopped because it was brought to light in the news.

Perhaps Moveon.org might lack credibility, how about Forbes? are they a credible enough news reporting agency?
Credit Card Companies Waive Fees for Some Haiti Donations MoneyBuilder - Forbes.com

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Admiral

Angry Charities

Marc lives in another country and can't possibly be familiar as we are in the U.S. with the political side of move.on (btw we are members)...... unless of course it was tongue in cheek, was it Marc. So, N.D. and Marc... check out the link for Forbes...jezz
Old February 11th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Admiral

Not to defend the practices or the credit card companies, I would like to point out that donors and charities also benefit through the acceptance and use of credit cards. Donors are able to quickly and easily make a donation by phone and may be earning some sort of affinity points from their generosity. Charities receive funds much earlier and do not have to worry about check processing and the possibility of a check bounding after they have spent the money.

Fortunately my employer allowed us to make one time donations to one of four charities and provided a 100% match to each employee's gift.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old February 11th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Admiral

beenie weenie, thanks for the link (with embeded links).

If someone wants to see exorbinant credit card fees, just pay your US taxes with a credit card.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Old February 11th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Admiral

Cool Credit Cards

If you are a savvy enough consumer in the US Marc... you pay your credit cards IN FULL MONTHLY and there is NO interest charge....and there are certain credit cards here that give you back a percentage for travel or other items..in other words.. they pay you..
Old February 11th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Marc has been around a long time, and as I recall he didn't go overseas until just a few years ago, right Marc?

Anyway - I personally sent $100 to the Royal Caribbean effort almost two weeks ago now. Here is the article I wrote, and I contributed right after I wrote this...

How to Really Help Haiti
By paul motter

Haiti shares the island of Hispaniola with the Dominican Republic, another somewhat poor nation but better off than Haiti, especially now. The privately owned Royal Caribbean beach at Labadee is indeed within the nation of Haiti, but it is about 80 miles away from Port au Prince, the capitol of Haiti where the devastating earthquake occurred.

MSNBC television recently reported on "American cruisers sipping pina coladas on a beach just miles away from the devastation and death in Haiti," in reference to Labadee, 80 miles away. Last week they referred to the visits by Royal Caribbean ships as a "public relations nightmare" and characterized "online cruise bloggers" as "fuming" about the actions of the cruise line.

Perhaps in an attempt to change their tone a bit, an article came out today on MSNBC.com quoting comments by the readers of a competing cruise site to CruiseMates on how to best help victims of the earthquake in Port au Prince.

The suggestions are paraphrased below:

"The cruise ship brings food for lunch from the ship and cooks it onshore (for the passengers as a meal included in the cruise fare). We hear that all of the uneaten food goes to the local people, so eat a big breakfast on the ship and skip lunch on the island, leaving food for the locals."

"Go to the straw market and buy lots of stuff and tip big"

"Bring bottles of water from the ship and leave a few extras on shore."

"Buy some flip flops on the ship and leave them on the beach."

These are well-intentioned suggestions - but Labadee is 80 miles away and the infrastructure is not good. Plus, your contribution may not go to those who need it the most, you are just leaving things behind for strangers to pick up.

Here is a better suggestion: Former President Bill Clinton has been personally involved with improving living conditions in Haiti for years. Just six weeks ago, he toured Labadee as a guest of Royal Caribbean and praised the efforts of the cruise line there.

Royal Caribbean met with Bill Clinton again January 14th in New York City, just after the earthquake hit. The meeting was scheduled to include the Prime Minister of Haiti and discuss further economic development by Royal Caribbean. But the earthquake intervened and the Prime Minister, fortunately not injured, remained Port au Prince for the relief effort.

The agenda of the meeting was changed to coordinating the relief effort. It turns out that Royal Caribbean president Adam Goldstein has been on several U.S. government committees to aid Haiti for years now.

Bottom line; few people are as qualified to aid the Haitian relief effort as Adam Goldstein of Royal Caribbean.

So if you really want to help, one of the first things anyone should do is stop criticizing Royal Caribbean for stopping in Labadee and delivering goods to the relief effort every time they do. They are also supporting local jobs.

If you really want to help the Haitians here is what Adam Goldstein recommends:

The supplies we (Royal Caribbean) are sending include rice, dried beans, water, dried milk and a variety of other canned items. This effort is going to be a marathon, so we will be partnering with Food For The Poor on the back-end distribution in Haiti.

I am getting a lot of questions from everyone about how they can help. I have asked them to go to Food For The Poor and make a donation. This is the best and most effective way to assist in the relief effort right now.

Web site:
Food for the Poor - Royal Caribbean.

There is a temporary hospital facility not far from the Labadee beach (about 15 miles) but they don't need flip flops or leftovers from yesterday's lunch. They need money for medical supplies such as bandages, antibiotics and other medicine. Royal Caribbean has already donated food, water and many temporary beds to the facility.

While leaving things behind in Labadee may sound like a good idea, it isn't very practical. Money to the organizations recommended by Royal Caribbean is a much more of a "sure thing."

And let's not forget Carnival Corp. which does not stop in Haiti but does make ports of call not far away. Carnival has also already pledged $5,000,000 to the relief effort in Haiti.

Bottom line, Royal Caribbean has been a leading American company helping the Haitian economy for years - with Carnival contributing to the Caribbean economy as well. I say let's give credit where credit is due, and contribute to the management of the Haiti relief effort by the people who know the situation best.
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Admiral

I would love to see us all become less reliant on borrowed money as individuals and as a country.

To resolve any confusion, they are not referring to your monthly fees and finance charges, but this topic is directly related to interchange fees, so basically if you donate $10 to my charity and the interchange fee is 3%, my charity is going to receive $9.70. The 3% charge is paid to the issuing bank. So in effect the issuing bank profits $.30 and my charity does not receive the entire $10 donation.

So if you doubt your credit card issuer is giving 100% of your donation to the charity of your choice, then by all means send a check.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Marc has been around a long time, and as I recall he didn't go overseas until just a few years ago, right Marc?
Paul, correct.

Parrot Mom, as a proud American, and former resident of Taxachussetts, I am well versed in use of credit cards. I have earned many hundreds of thousands of miles and hotel points without paying a cent of interest in last twenty years. I was a fan of Discover Card when they first came out until they capped their cashback at $500 or so. Now, I like my $300 shipboard credit every time I cruise.

Of course, now I have to fight against the foreign exchange fee when using credit cards. Although some don't have a fee, you have to be careful of rates. All in all, I use credit cards less and cash more.

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old February 11th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Cool Taxachusetts

Quote:
Paul, correct.

Parrot Mom, as a proud American, and former resident of Taxachussetts, I am well versed in use of credit cards. I have earned many hundreds of thousands of miles and hotel points without paying a cent of interest in last twenty years. I was a fan of Discover Card when they first came out until they capped their cashback at $500 or so. Now, I like my $300 shipboard credit every time I cruise.

Of course, now I have to fight against the foreign exchange fee when using credit cards. Although some don't have a fee, you have to be careful of rates. All in all, I use credit cards less and cash more.
We too are from Masssachusetts, Marlboro to be exact. The problem with paying cash is that the prices at the stores have figured out your going to be paying with credit cards and built that in to the price of lets say an appliance.. Now, if your going to a buy something large...there is no reason why you just can't negotiate when you have cash in your hand is there.. On the other side..if you pay cash you have no comeback if there is a problem with the product. Parrot Pop plays around and reads which cards are giving extra benefits for using them..You obviously travel much more than we do but you would be proud to probably see me in action at the Travel Show next Saturday trying to get the best deal for a spring/summer cruise.. In case y ou haven't heard we had a snowstorm bust.. never really arrived here..just Cape Cod