Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Beginner

Default Looking for cool cruise ideas

My best friend and I are planning a cruise to celebrate our 50th birthdays in 2013 (will start saving now!). We want something different and I was looking into Alaska, but don't want to get off the ship, rent a car, hotel, etc. which seems to be the advice.

Anyone been to a cool destination that you could share? Will be taking our husbands and NO KIDS, yeah ! We've been to Mexico and Carribean using RCCL. We like RCCL, but are open to a comparable experience. Getting dressed up two nights would nice to avoid this time around.

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Mw, welcome to Cruisemates! I see you've done some research or you wouldn't be asking about car rentals. You really don't have to go on your own if you don't want to.

We sailed Alaska last year with Island Princess and had a wonderful time ! We took ship excursions and enjoyed all of them. Our favorite was the whale watching in Juneau.

You really don't have to dress up anymore on any of the mainstream ships. There are plenty of options for "Formal Night" and if you're dressed nicely (no shorts or tees), you won't have a problem going to the MDR. If you don't want to change out of your shorts there's always the buffet or room service, both are good.

As a Princess "cheerleader", I'd also suggest you consider Hawaii.

Happy 50th to you!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Mountaineerwife,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
My best friend and I are planning a cruise to celebrate our 50th birthdays in 2013 (will start saving now!). We want something different and I was looking into Alaska, but don't want to get off the ship, rent a car, hotel, etc. which seems to be the advice.

Anyone been to a cool destination that you could share? Will be taking our husbands and NO KIDS, yeah ! We've been to Mexico and Carribean using RCCL. We like RCCL, but are open to a comparable experience.
In that case, I recommend Europe. The European ports of call have a LOT of really cool attractions for sightseeing, and most of the cruises are long enough so you don't have to combine them with a stay on land to have a really special vacation.

And all of the major cruise lines, including all three of RCCL's brands marketed in North America (Celebrity Cruises, Azamara Club, and Royal Caribbean International), send ships there, so you can stick with your preference.

If the cruise to Europe is more than you want to spend, consider a trans-Atlantic cruise instead. Many of these cruises offer two weeks for about the price of a week in the Caribbean, and they also offer some really exotic ports of call like Gibraltar, Malaga (Spain), or Lisbon (Portugal) and Funchal (Madeira Is.), Punta del Gada (Azores), or Recife (Canary Is.) that you won't find on other itineraries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Getting dressed up two nights would nice to avoid this time around.
That's a question of choice of lines. Most cruises in Europe are long enough to have three "formal" evenings, so you might want to consider a line that offers an "all casual" product if you don't want to don dress clothes. Here, your best options probably are Disney, Azamara Club, or Oceania Cruises in the "premium" tier or Norwegian Cruise Line (which advertises "formal optional" rather than "formal") or Carnival (which now advertises "elegant" evenings (IIRC, jackets optional for gents) rather than "formal" evenings in the "mainstream" tier.

Norm.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:18 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineerwife View Post

Anyone been to a cool destination that you could share? Will be taking our husbands and NO KIDS, yeah ! We've been to Mexico and Carribean using RCCL. We like RCCL, but are open to a comparable experience. Getting dressed up two nights would nice to avoid this time around.

Thanks !
Having sailed Princess, Holland America and Celebrity, I would recommend Princess which is huge step up from RCCL and even a step up from Celebrity.

Alaska would be a great choice. There are round trips offered that would require no hotels or car rentals. Princess is allowed into Glacier Bay National Park, which for me and most cruisers the highlight of any cruise. Neither RCCL nor Celebrity is allowed into Glacier Bay, and for me makes a huge difference when talking about cruising in Alaska.

Enjoy your cruise no matter what you decide to do.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Not sure what time of year you are going. But if you plan it right you can do fire and ice. Which is Hawaii and Alaska on the same ship. They do this like once maybe twice a year.

For example: Carnival Spirit leaves out of Oahu on April 23, 2010 for a 12 day cruise of Hawaii that ends in Vancouver on May 5, 2010.

Starting May 5, 2010 the same ship Carnival Spirit leaves out of Vancouver on a 6 day Alaskan cruise that ends in Seattle, Washington. Fire and Ice without having to leave the ship. Because you booked the same ship back to back. Plus Carnival is more of a casual cruise line with self serve laundry machines. Pack light and do laundry while traveling from Hawaii to Vancouver.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994