Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Passenger

Default RCCL VS NCL or Carnival???

Thanks so much for always answering all of these silly questions! :-)
I have been on 2 cruises, both RCCL - Navigator and Voyager. They seemed identical to me.
We now are taking the kids and are looking to Carnival or NCL (because they seem to be a bit cheaper) ??
I am worried that these cruise lines may vary so much that I will be dissapointed.
The things I loved about RCCL was the large theater, large main dining room and the large pools - everything was super clean and seem top-notch to me.
Am I going to find those things with Carnival or NCL? Or am I really going to see a large difference?
I am trying to find the newest ships from both of these companies thinking that is the only way to come close to my RCCL experience.
What ships from these 2 lines have you found to be the best.
We are going to the Caribbean and our kids are 15 and 10.
Thanks again so much

Navigator of the Seas May 2006
Voyager of the Seas April 2007
Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Admiral

Jolene,

I'm replying out of courtesy because I have to tell you that while we've been on three cruises, they've all been on not only the same line but the same ship, RCCL's Explorer of the Sea.

Nonetheless, variety is the spice of life and one should experience other lines and vessels. It's just that when one reaches their sixties they have a tendancy to gravitate toward the "familiar" and we absolutely love the Explorer, especially it's gorgeous Main Dining Rooms, the Royal Promenade (which only RCCL has) and of course the singular ice rink.

I am sure kids and younger parents would love Carnival and from what I've heard, NCL offers another rewarding experience.

I'm sure you'll soon get other posts from folks far more experienced than I who can offer their advice.

Whatever ship or line you select, I know you're going to have a wonderful time!

Todd
Old January 28th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Passenger

Thank you Todd for your input

Navigator of the Seas May 2006
Voyager of the Seas April 2007
Old January 28th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Admiral

Seattle folks always ask great questions (I use to live in Ballard)

Each line has it's own unique product presentation and I think your family will enjoy the experience and as Todd indicated variety is the spice of cruising

the driving factor for enjoyment is your kids, and IMHO if possible,stick to your plan to select one of the newer ships from either cruise line, which has more of the bells and whistle for them, and you should be great...also, if there are alot of kids their age onboard, then they will have fun regardless of ship and you will enjoy because they are happy

I've cruised all 3 lines that you have mentioned (both with and without kids) and have enjoyed all immensely
Old January 28th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Familiar Face

I prefer Carnival over NCL but everyone is different. I feel that we were better served by Carnival but we did enjoy the food on the NCL and they had a picture package that we purchased that was way better that individual purchases that Carnival had. I really would not care what ship I was on as long as I was on one. It has been too long since we were on a ship due to our parents being sick and we are afraid the leave the country. Happy sailing what ever you choose.
Old January 28th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Looking at the other comments, I would like to qualify this by saying this is based on one experience with NCL. I am not a foodie , but we ate in the alternative dining rooms all but two nights, we did not enjoy the main dining room. I ended the eleven day cruise with the largest bill we have ever had. We just got off two weeks on Conquest the food was good, Our waiter the second week was poor but the food was still okay. RCCL, is one of my favorites I have been on all the Radiance class ships and enjoy them very much. I am guessing our experience on the Sun was a fluke, so go with the best deal. Mike
Old January 28th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The things you mentioned for comparisons, the large theater, large main dining room and the large pools,& cleanliness, you will find the same on NCL or Carnival in my opinion.. Dining on NCL you will have many more options then on the other 2 lines. Many though, will have a fee....

I would look at the Dream or the Epic, for the closest comparisons...both are the newest and the biggest.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Jolene,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Thanks so much for always answering all of these silly questions! :-)
I have been on 2 cruises, both RCCL - Navigator and Voyager. They seemed identical to me.
We now are taking the kids and are looking to Carnival or NCL (because they seem to be a bit cheaper) ??
I am worried that these cruise lines may vary so much that I will be dissapointed.
The things I loved about RCCL was the large theater, large main dining room and the large pools - everything was super clean and seem top-notch to me.
Am I going to find those things with Carnival or NCL? Or am I really going to see a large difference?
I am trying to find the newest ships from both of these companies thinking that is the only way to come close to my RCCL experience.
What ships from these 2 lines have you found to be the best.
We are going to the Caribbean and our kids are 15 and 10.
Thanks again so much
Each cruise line has its own personality and style. If Royal Caribbean is a good match for you and your husband, why change? Royal Caribbean has fantastic youth and teen programs for your children, too!

BTW, "Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd." ("RCCL") is a holding company that owns several cruise lines and land tour operators. One of that company's cruise lines is "Royal Caribbean International" ("RCI").

Norm.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:22 PM
Captain

I think you would love NCL or Carnival for your cruise. I think those who stick to one cruise line could be making a mistake by not seeing what other cruise lines have to offer. You might even want to try Princess for a more refined cruising experience.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:55 PM
Admiral

I think that the kids would love one of the RCL Freedom class megaships.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!