Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Default For former military types or those who just like firepower

Okay all you military and weapons buffs, take a gander at the clip below and let me know what you think.

Metal Storm featured on Future Weapons

Todd
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2010, 11:17 PM
Admiral

First of all, if we can get it, you can bet the bad guys can also get it. How much firepower is enough? Somewhere in the commercial it mentioned one of these super weapons firing a quarter million rounds a minute? How do you haul-carry that much ammo to a fight?
I carried an M-60 machine gun in Vietnam. The weapon weighed about 23 lbs. It was worthless without ammo. The ammo usually was strung in 100 round linked belts that weighed 7 lbs per belt! So the weapon and one full belt would be about 30 lbs ( next time you're at the grocery store, pick up 6-5 lb bags of sugar or flour and that would give you an idea of the weapon and one belt of ammo) and in a fire fight you can go through a hundred round belt in nothing flat so you can see how much ammo was needed for such a weapon. Everyone had to help carry the extra belts of ammo.
I can't even begin to imagine something like this. I realize it's not made to be toted around but the hand gun is obviously meant to be carried and at the rate of fire they claim it does, you'd have to have 2-3 people carrying ammo for the guy with the hand gun.
I think that with everything and all the ways we have in the world to kill people the last thing we need is a super weapon that fires tens of thousands of rounds per minute or second. Hope and pray some nut doesn't get one and go down the street in some major city.
Personally I don't see the need for something like this. If we want to kill all the people they claim these weapons can, just drop a small nuke and be done with it.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:00 AM
Admiral

Ron,

It may not be practicable as a crew served weapon but one must remember that the military today has 7.62 20 and 40 mm "Gatlings" that can fire up to 6,000 rds. per minute (although they're usually set much lower).

I'm not even going into whether or not we need or anyone needs for that matter such a weapon as that's far beyond my pay grade. What I am saying is that a lot of guys who are ex-military and LEO's are interested in weapons, including automatics. An acquaintance of mine who is a retired Army E-7 and who pulled a tour in Iraq and one in Afghanistan said he'd love to have such a handgun.

As former weapons instructor I loved shooting, especially automatic weapons such as the M-16 A-1 and the old Thompson. Actually my favorite turned out to be a semi-automatic shotgun with a 12" barrel and a Pachmyer pistol grip.

BTW, the clip wasn't an advertisement but was a segement lifted from the Discovery Channel.

Todd
Old February 3rd, 2010, 01:36 PM
Admiral

My favorite is an old .22 cal. Remington singe shot that belonged to my dad.
I lovingly keep it oiled and cleaned and on occasion, take it out somewhere to the woods and shoot it a few times just for him.
I wouldn't trade it for all the guns in the world, simply because it was his.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 01:47 PM
Banned
Captain

Imagine hunting with one of those.
You better not want to eat what you kill. There'd be nothing left.