Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 3rd, 2010, 07:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Tray with dirty dishes

Out of curiosity and having plenty of free time I would like to take a poll. After you have consumed food in your cabin either from room service or from the Lido deck, what do YOU do with the dirty dishes?

A. Take them to the lido deck buffet

B. Leave them in your cabin

C. Place them in the hallway

I practice A & B

Personally I am grossed out looking at trays with dirty dishes and leftover food sitting in the hallway. This practice also creates more work for the steward who has to clean the food off the hallway carpet after someone trips over it.

What are your thoughts on the subject?
Celebrity Century, 1996, Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Destiny, 2001, Dutch Treat
RCCL Monarch of the Seas, 2003, Western Caribbean
Carnival Legend, 2004, Exotic S. Caribbean
Carnival Liberty, 2010, Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:33 PM
Admiral

INTERESTING , I never though about this very much. I leave the tray in the room and leave a tip for who ever has to clean it up. I put the tray in the hall a few times but leaving it in the room makes the most sense. Mike
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I just pile the dishes up and leave it neatly in the cabin. I'm not a fan of walking down the hall and seeing other peoples leftover meals on the floor. I wonder what the staff like cruisers to do with these dirty dishes?

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 3rd, 2010, 09:02 PM
Admiral

We allways leave dirty dishes in the cabin along with a tip.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old February 3rd, 2010, 10:21 PM
Banned
Captain

Petty Gripes 101

As one who leaves the dishes in the hallway I will offer an explanation...

Mrs. Tennille is quite prone to motion sickness. The smell of leftover food usually sets her off, especially in the morning after. So we (I) leave it in the hallway, and the Correctness Police can go hop the railing. It's usually gone before breakfast, anyways....

I don't see anybody grossed out by the cleaning carts the stewards leave in the hallways most of the day, every day.

Just quit complaining and enjoy your cruise.... if it's possible, that is.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 10:24 PM
Captain

Funny enough, we were on the ship one morning while our littlest one was having a nap and it was the room stewards that were taking the trays out of the rooms and setting them on the floor in the hallway to pick up later. My husband is sensitive to smells in the room so we typically would return the tray to the Lido if we were going to stay in the cabin, ie, go to bed. But if we were heading out right after we ate, we would tidy the tray and leave a little tip to the person who ends up cleaning up after us.
Carrnival Victory 2004, Carnival Valor 2005, Carnival Fantasy 2006, Carnival Fascination 2006, Carnival Destiny 2007
Carnival Sensation 2007. Carnival Fascination 2007 Carnival Triumph 2008, Carnival Fascination 2008, MSC Orchestra 2008, Carnival Fascination 2009, Carnival Glory 2010

Waiting for the Carnival Imagination June 28,2010
Old February 3rd, 2010, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Generally, we leave our plates for the Room Steward to remove. But, on one cruise, (I'm sorry I can't remember which one ), Room Service asked us to call them when we were done so they could remove the trays and we did that.

I wouldn't leave a tray in the hallway. It's hard enough to walk or "scoot" through there. There are exceptions (i.e., Mrs. Tennille). In your case I'd call Room Service, tell them I'd left trays with plates in the hallway, and depend upon them to do their thing !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 3rd, 2010, 10:54 PM
Banned
Captain

Fern: Good idea. Except then they clean up my tray and leave all the rest?

Incidentally, I have never been so befuddled as to trip on a tray left in the hallway.
Old February 4th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Admiral

Actually, we've never had room service while on our three 10 day cruises even though we have it frequently if traveling where I have to pay for it. Go figure.

Anyhow, we just leave the tray/dishes in the room if we're only there one night, they're breakfast dishes and then I leave a separate tip for whomever removes it from the one I leave for Housekeeping. If we're there more than one night and they're from the evening meal, then we'll call and have them removed. If room service didn't respond relatively promptly, especially in in a case such as the Captain's, I'd make a reminder call(s) until it was but I doubt I'd ever leave one in the hallway, especially aboard ship. As Fern so aptly pointed out, hallways are far narrower on a ship and therefore, especially out of common courtesy for fellow passengers, I wouldn't do so.

Todd
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Administrator
Admiral

If I ordered it from room service I call them when I'm done for tray pickup. All hotels and cruise lines request that you do this. It makes their jobs much easier and they recover the tableware much faster than having it go through housekeeping.

Your cabin attendant will have no problem handling it but they will really prefer if you have room service bus the dishes.

If I brought it down from the Lido then it goes back there when done. Bar glasses and such I leave for the room steward.

On a cruise I haven't had my tray left out for any extended period and I rarely see trays in the hallway and even when I do I can, even with my balance, avoid them.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Admiral

I am like Mike, I call room service when we are finished and they come and reclaim it very quickly
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I just need to add one thing:

When the trays stay in the hallway for a long time it is "usually" because the guest set the tray in the hallway and did not call room service for pickup.

There are times that room service doesn't pick up a tray even though the guest calls but this is not the norm.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old February 4th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Admiral

I'm the kind of person that takes the grocery cart back to the store after I'm done using it. So if I took the food from the lido buffet then I take the dishes back. If I had room service (rare for me) then I leave them in the cabin. I have no problem with dishes in the hallway. I just don't do it myself.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 4th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
If I ordered it from room service I call them when I'm done for tray pickup. All hotels and cruise lines request that you do this. It makes their jobs much easier and they recover the tableware much faster than having it go through housekeeping.

Take care,
Mike
This is good information I didn't know that want you to call room service for tray pickup. I rarely get room service, I prefer to get out of the cabin and explore the buffet. However, Carnival use to have a roasted portobello mushroom sandwich that you could only order from room service and it was tasty. That we would order from room service. I don't know if it's still on the menu I will have to check it out in 3 months on Splendor.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 4th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
I'm the kind of person that takes the grocery cart back to the store after I'm done using it.
Kat:

One of my "pet peeves" is people who leave their grocery or shopping cart in the parking space. Especially when the cart corral is only a few spaces away. There is no excuse for not putting it away. If you could push the cart to the car you can push it to the corral. They just leave it for someone else to move the cart to get in the space. I love the justification of "Someone else will just use my cart." Yes, after they stop get out of the car or nudge the darn thing into someone else's car and gouge the paint.

It's just plain lazy.

OK: Back to the topic of trays in the room.

Take care,
Mike

Old February 4th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

We do use the room service a lot, 2-3 times a day if DW is along. After a few days the waiters on RS duty know me and get my orders quickly as they like the tip. So we generate a lot of trays.

I too don't care to see all the trays in the passageway, but Mike is right. You are supposed to call room service when you need a pick up. Of course, they say 'thanks-place it outside your door'. So that's where they are supposed to be. I don't mind so much as I don't like to see trays in my cabin either, but because we have so many I do tend to leave some for the cabin steward as well.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old February 4th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Admiral

BTW--Good question by-the-board.

After proofing my post I thought you may want to know why so much Room Service....

DW orders breakfast each morning.

Carnival has the new RS menu with great sandwiches: BLT or Ruben every day as an afternoon snack. (late dinner)

RCCL has the great fruit plates and cheese plates--daily for those.

Then the occasional cookie & snack delivery! And the Past Guest goodies.

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old February 4th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

I never order room service but do go to the buffet and bring plates back to the room. I usually leave them for the room steward though (neatly stacked) and don't leave food scattered everywhere. I never thought about leaving a tip for each plate as I just leave a bigger tip at the end of the cruise, but maybe I'll leave a few bucks with each plate on my next cruise.
Old February 4th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Wow, I've learned something from my own thread. I was never informed to call RS to pick up the dirty tray/dishes.

It has been a few years since my last cruise but I do remember the BLT as being as good as what I make at home. Well I guess it was better since I did not have to cook/cleanup.

This will be my ninth cruise and I decide to do some things different than what I have done on my past cruises. Such as ordering breakfast from RS, staying on the ship while we are at Half Moon Cay and trying the anytime dinner. I'm still researching anything else I can do different.
Celebrity Century, 1996, Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Destiny, 2001, Dutch Treat
RCCL Monarch of the Seas, 2003, Western Caribbean
Carnival Legend, 2004, Exotic S. Caribbean
Carnival Liberty, 2010, Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Old February 4th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by by_the_board View Post
Out of curiosity and having plenty of free time I would like to take a poll. After you have consumed food in your cabin either from room service or from the Lido deck, what do YOU do with the dirty dishes?

A. Take them to the lido deck buffet

B. Leave them in your cabin

C. Place them in the hallway

I practice A & B

Personally I am grossed out looking at trays with dirty dishes and leftover food sitting in the hallway. This practice also creates more work for the steward who has to clean the food off the hallway carpet after someone trips over it.

What are your thoughts on the subject?
On RCCL i place the food in the hallway out of the way and then call the room service number that usually on your try and tell them you are done and have tray in hallway and usually they are they to pick it up usually 20-30 mins i would say on average... I just read the end of your thread and someone else already spoke of this as well. Like i said usually there was a business card size note with a phone number on it.

Feb 2001 Majesty of the seas
March 2002 Majesty of the seas
Nov 2002 Majesty of the seas
March 2005 Explorer of the seas
March 2006 Adventure of the seas
March 2008 Freedom of the seas (Married onboard the Freedom of the Sea's)

March 2012 Freedom of the sea's
Old February 4th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote "Like i said usually there was a business card size note with a phone number on it."

I have to honestly say I have never seen such a card. It's the first time hearing about it. Although the last time I cruised RCI was 2001. On my last cruise on Carnival, there were no such instructions anywhere, or on the menu.

I usually had a late night hamburger on Carnival, but the grille had such weird hours that bringing the tray back would have been hard, because the place was closed up tight by the time I finished. I think it was open from 11:30pm-1am or something silly like that.

On this note: I have a friend who cruised RCI, then Carnival. He won't do Carnival again, because of the odd food hours, especially the grill hours. (On RCI the grill is open all day until 4am) I have to agree with him on this.
Old February 4th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

The cards where on the Explorer of the seas, Adventure of the seas &Freedom of the seas Cruises i have been on. I don't believe back in 2001-2002 on the majesty of the sea's this was in place. I can assure you on the last 3 cruise's on rccl the cards where in place. Maybe its the personal preference of the room service personal on the ship for the cards maybe its a company policy im not sure....

Old February 4th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Admiral

There have been cards on the room service trays on The Voyager OTS for several years as well.

Future Cruises:
Old February 4th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

This is a perfect example of learning about something, and, taking that knowledge with you on your next cruise. I for one, never gave it a thought about trays in the hallway. I saw it done on my first cruise, thought ok, this is what they want, and have never given it a second thought since...I might add, as well, trays have never been an issue in passing through the halls.

Thait said, next time I will give them a call for a pick up. Live and learn

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 4th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I might add, as well, trays have never been an issue in passing through the halls.

Thait said, next time I will give them a call for a pick up. Live and learn
Trip, it really depends on the ship, the hallway and common sense . If you're on a ship where the cabin doors are recessed from the hallway you have a place to put a tray that is out of the way. If the cabin door is flush with the hallway, the tray could be in the way for people walking or using scooters.

After the cruise where we were asked to call Room Service to pick up the tray, we called on the next cruise and were told to just leave it in the cabin. Now we just ask when we place our first Room Service order. It seems to depend on who's in charge of Room Service because we've been told different things on the same cruise line !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 8th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

I know after talking about all this room service i wish i could order some right now and have it delivered to my desk at work lol...