Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Admiral

Default Annual Report

It occurred to me that since I left the board I've done an annual report posting each year from here at our February headquarters in Palm Springs. Several months ago somebody asked about me and some others who have "gone away." I replied briefly, but then the whole string was censored. So read fast before this one disappears.

Things are well with us and with the whole family. We still travel extensively, and are looking forward to a crossing in April. As usual, we travel more on land (and in the air) than on ships, but we thoroughly enjoy all the places we go. We expect to have many angry friends and relatives when we return to Washington in March--we may have to shovel our way into the house.

I was moved to write this after reading some of tomorrow's New York Times travel section--it's their annual cruise roundup, and I recommend it to you. One of the articles lists many of the unusual features of upcoming cruises. The one that especially caught my eye is that Disney is branching out to the Baltics and will be stopping at the usual places there, including St. Petersburg.

But here's the kicker: according to the Times, visits to places like Catherine's Palace will feature appearances by Snow White and Cinderella.

The mind reels.

I guess it would naturally follow that the Gold Room at the Hermitage will be guarded by Scrooge McDuck; that Goofy will play the part of Rasputen; and that Mickey and Minnie will be cavorting in the fountains at the Summer Palace.

I can only imagine the slack-jawed looks of confusion on the faces of elementary school history teachers as their students report that they visited Peterhof where the Czars of Russia were named Dopey, Sleepy, Sneezy and Doc.

Well, as Uncle Walt always said, "It's a small world after all."

Hope this isn't considered too political. Have a good year, and I'll report again on next year's Times cruise section.

AR
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Admiral

That is cute. I have heard (think you Samantha Brown) that Sleeping Beauty's Castle is based on the German Castle Neuschwanstein Castle. Let's do a side by side comparison.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 14th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Admiral

Allen,

First, it's been far too long since we've heard from you.....

I know you have your differences with Cruisemates. They err on the side of caution, and you occassionally like to stretch the envelope. I have always found your posts insightful; and yes, sometimes at the edges of the envelope.

You enjoy a lively political discourse; and Cruisemates may not always be tolerant when discussions wander too far afield.

I'm not sure who it was that asked about you -- it may have been me. Whatever the case, it's good to hear from you.

Whatever it counts for, I remember when you met Luanne in Washington, D.C., and showed her around. It was great hearing how much she enjoyed seeing the city and seeing you. How she got lost on her way to meet you, and how you managed to track her down.

I'm pleased to hear that you're enjoying your travels these days. I don't suppose you could stop by more often and let us know.

I know that you voluntarily withdrew, and I know why. And you know what -- that's not good enough......

So how about popping in from time to time? To let us know how things are going?

Old February 14th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

AR.. gee you are so Mavricky

It is good to hear that you two are doing well, and still traveling, and enjoying life.

The flip side of your comments on Disney heading to Europe is that through this move there may be childrent who get to visit historic sites that they might not otherwise get to see until much later in their life.

With the declining value of the Euro this is going to be a very good year to head to Europe, and that likely expands to areas like the Baltic and Med as well.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 14th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Welcome back Allen and this time please stay. We all have missed you. I agree with Dean and so hope you stick around. I especially so miss your travelogues. I also miss your wit.

If two folks from opposite ends of the specrtum such as Alex S. Jones and I can be lifelong friends, then I am sure everyone around here can get along .

Sure would love to see the Times section of which you're speaking. I tried subscribing to the Times but as I live in the boonies, they won't deliver.

Again, welcome "home" and please always return following your travels.

Todd
Old February 14th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Sure would love to see the Times section of which you're speaking. I tried subscribing to the Times but as I live in the boonies, they won't deliver.Todd
Happily, the New York Times is available free online.
Old February 14th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Admiral

AR..my friend..glad you posted..thought about you and your son the AA pilot when it was announced that AA is charging $8.00 for a blanket

my son is currently doing F-35 Joint Strike Fighter testing and states it's a pretty cool plane with multi task missions

miss our intellectual exchanges on these boards, but Katlady keeps me honest
Old February 14th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Sleeping Beauty's Castle is Disneyland. That's Cinderella's Castle in the Magic Kingdom. I'm a Disney freak!!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Hey Allen,

Great to hear from you. Dean made me smile when he brought up our DC trip to meet you. Every time I see the George Washington bridge, I tease Jim about getting lost on a bridge.

I thought you were probably in P.S. by now. Glad you didn't have to dig this week.

Katlady, I have been in the Neuschwanstein Castle. It is beautiful inside and out, and the history is like a cheap novel.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link