Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:19 PM
Admiral

Default A thief's suprise

I went to Target today and decided to get myself a Starbucks. Our Target is a two story store. So I needed to go downstairs to get my coffee. I didnít want to take my cart with me so I left it by the escalator with my items and a calendar book that holds my coupons. It looks just like a check book . On my return as I was checking out I realized it was gone. Someone took it. Itís no big deal since I had only coupons in it and thatís why I didnít bother to take it with me to get my coffee. I would love to see the thiefís face when they opened it thinking they scored big only to find 75 cents of applesauce . I hope the bad karma they bought themselves was worth it.!!

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:04 PM
Captain

Having been through the experience of being robbed I read this with glee. I wish I'd been lucky enough to have just lost coupons. Like you I would have seriously lovd to see the look on the dirtbags face when he/she discovered their days work. Looks good on them it really does.
Carrnival Victory 2004, Carnival Valor 2005, Carnival Fantasy 2006, Carnival Fascination 2006, Carnival Destiny 2007
Carnival Sensation 2007. Carnival Fascination 2007 Carnival Triumph 2008, Carnival Fascination 2008, MSC Orchestra 2008, Carnival Fascination 2009, Carnival Glory 2010

Waiting for the Carnival Imagination June 28,2010
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Hopefully he'll be a smart thief and use that coupon and have some discounted applesauce.

This weekend I received a call from Capital One. There had been some strange activity on my card. It started on Thursday with a $1 charge to The Apple Store and that was followed on Sunday by four attempts to purchase "beer", electronics and appliances in England.

All of the purchases, except the Apple Store, were declined so no real harm. New cards are on the way. How they got the numbers, I have no idea. It could have been many ways. What flagged the account was a small purchase (test) followed by larger purchases that aren't in your normal area or profile. I'm glad the CC company was paying attention.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Several years ago a neighbor of mine was locking up the grocery he owned .He had a bag in his hands that he was holding on to very tightly .Thieves who were apparently watching the store ran toward him ,grabbed the bag and sped away in their car thinking presumably that it was the days cash receipts but in reality it was a bag of garbage .
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I once had purchases being made in Romania..go figure

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:46 PM
Admiral

I had a similar experience a few months ago and I went to Walmart. I filled my cart with all the important purchase on my list, I had just a few minutes left to make my purchases and get in my truck to go home then I saw a sales rack filled with kids clothes on clearance so I stopped and looked at a bunch of them, I picked off probably a dozen items and then all of the sudden realized some schmuck stoll my cart. I had a bunch of stuff in a heap in the front basket so they probably thought my purse was under all that stuff. I deduced that they took the cart to another area of the store to try to steal a purse they thought was under all that stuff. Well fortunately I had my Cruisemates neck wallet thingy Kuki gave me around my neck with all my ID and credit cards in it, so they got nothing HA! But on the downside I had wasted all that time shopping and had to leave empty handed wihtout all my goodies but it was so worth it!

Neener neener!!! Ha ha ha ha! Loosers!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:44 PM
Admiral

This falls under, "There is a God After All" category.

About twenty years ago one of our female officers had her wallet containing her credit cards stolen in a village where she lived in the Hudson Valley in New York.

About three days later she was standing in line in a discount store in a nearby town (also in the same County) when the woman in front of her, unloaded her cart and went to pay for her purchases with a credit card. The clerk accepted then looked at the card and said "Thank you, Mrs. So and so" which happened to be the officer's last name. The officer asked the purchaser,, "Excuse me but what is your first name?" The woman nonchalantly replied her name wasn't on the card but was the name of her "good friend" who was waiting in the car. The officer asked if the first name on the card would be "Susan" and the clerk replied that yes it was. The officer pulled her shield that was hanging around her neck out from beneath her top, pulled out her cuffs and spoke to the woman those famous four words, "You are under arrest." The officer's husband who was with her and was a Lieutenant, then strolled out into the parking lot and arrested the "friend," whom the accomplice said to whom the car belonged. For some reason the accomplice tried to flee but was collared by the husband and who, being the proud owner of two "priors," subsequently admitted the theft of the credit card. By the way, the Lieutenant said it was the first time he had ever arrested a guy allegedly named "Susan."

Todd
Old February 23rd, 2010, 04:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

When I was in NH I worked in the deli of a supermarket. People would come to the counter to order. While the woman was busy getting her purchases a thief would walk up and push the cart away with the womans purse in it. Once out of sight the thief would grab the purse and run. I started warning ladies of the danger. I have been guilty of doing the same thing many times. I am more careful now.
I do know that my bank is on the alert. One morning early I made a purchase online. Later I went to WalMart to do groceries. As I checked out my debit card was declined. I was surprised and could not understand why. I went to the stores ATM and checked the balance. It was more than sufficient to pay for my purchases. I decided to just get the cash and go pay for my things. The bank declined to give me my cash. I went to the clerk and asked that my groceries be held at the service desk. I went to the bank and asked why they were declining my debit card. My early morning purchase online had raised flags for the bank and they shut down my card. I explained that it was I who made the charge. Finally with that straightened out. I took some cash and went back to WalMart for my groceries. It is nice to know that my bank is watching out for me.

Laura
ďTwenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnít do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.ď
---Mark Twain

Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:30 AM
Admiral

I have on more then one occasion told ladies to watch their purses because they have them sitting in the cart and there not paying attention. Most of them give me a strange look. I like purses with long straps so it can wear it over and across my shoulder. Growing up in a police family and being marries to on over twenty five years I’ve heard a lot of stories.

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Got a call from "Chase" one morning last year, and they ask if I'd been to India recently. Of course, I hadn't, and they told me that my credit card had been used in the airport there for a small purchase. They immediately canceled my card, and issued another. Like you say,,,I'm glad they keep an eye on the purchases, and the pattern of purchases that we make.

"SKY"
Old February 23rd, 2010, 01:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

I would have loved to see the face of the person who stole the bag of garbage.
10-2004 Majesty Of The Seas- Bahamas
10-2006 Majesty Of The Seas- Bahamas
12-2006 Enchantment Of The Seas- Western Carib.
05-2008 Monarch Of The Seas- Baja Mexico
09-2009 NCL Sky- Bahamas
03-2010 Celebrity Century- Western Carib.
10-2010 Majesty Of The Seas- Bahamas
10-2010 Liberty Of The Seas- Coco Cay
11-2010 Freedom Of The Seas- Labadee, Haiti
11-2010 Monarch Of The Seas- Bahamas
Old February 23rd, 2010, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

My credit card company called one day to ask if I'd been buying menswear in Malaysia.....uh.....no......cards cancelled.....new ones sent.
I now only bring my debit card, car key and phone into the grocery store with me. My purse gets locked in the trunk before I even leave the garage at home.
Angela Z.
Old February 25th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Everybody,

Let me point out that there's a danger to using -- or even posessing -- a debit card.

When a thief uses your debit card, the money is gone from your bank account. That could cause checks to bounce or refusal of subsequent purchases before you can convince the bank that the purchase was fraudulent. Even if the bank accepts your story and restores your proper balance, you could still be liable for fees for bounced checks, etc., assessed by the vendors to whom you wrote them or by their banks.

By contrast, when a thief uses a credit card, the money does not disappear from your bank account until you pay the credit card bill. Thus, there is no danger of a check bouncing. Further, you have the upper hand in working out the matter with the credit card company because you have the legal right not to pay the charge until the dispute is resolved.

The bottom line here is that credit cards provide a layer of financial safety that debit cards lack.

Norm.
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Great point Norm!

And one other thing with debit cards. Many folks believe that they are only responsible for at most, the first $50 of illegal purchases as is the case with credit cards.

If things remain as they were a year or two ago, they are very very wrong! And remember, again if things remain the same, the crook doesn't really need the card itself as if the crook gains you pin number, he can still completely empty your bank account and you are at the mercy if the good will of the bank to get it back. Will they refund the money if you have say 25,000 dollars in that account?

For these and a couple of other reasons, my wife and I absolutely refuse to have a debit card.

Todd
Old February 26th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Admiral

I have had my credit card number stolen - probably from an on-line source
Euros bought in Spain, stuff bought in Wisconson - all at the same time.
Our Credit Card company took care of it all.

About a month ago - in my continual rushing, I forgot to remove my wallet from the grocery cart when I returned it to the outside corral (what is that really called).
By the time I got home I had'nt even noticed, but there was a message on my answering machine that it was at the serivce desk. Someone, who is very honest brought it in, and all the contents were intact.
God was good to me that day, good thing He pays attention, even when I can't.