CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Bad day for Costa (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/372080-bad-day-costa.html)

beenie weenie February 26th, 2010 11:45 AM

Bad day for Costa

3 crew members perish as Europa crashes into dock

3 die as luxury cruise liner slams into pier - News- msnbc.com

Fern February 26th, 2010 08:47 PM

This is really awful :(. I'm curious as to what happened to the crew members. I haven't been able to come up with any scenario in which this type of collision would cause deaths.

I also don't understand the Captain of the ship trying to dock in the "fierce winds" reported.

Curious,

beenie weenie February 26th, 2010 10:25 PM

I don't know either I would speculate about a gangway incident though. If crew were by that opening when the ship heaved up on top of the dock, the resulting impact would have been tremendous I would think, but it's a terrible tragedy.

Right before we sailed on the Costa Concordia, it had crashed into another ship due to high winds, and had a few nice holes in it as a result, but of course no one was hurt, but it sure looked bad.

I really feel terrible for the families of the crew members who died and also for the Captain of the ship, what a heavy and unbearable burden that must be to carry.

Snoozeman February 26th, 2010 11:09 PM

They drown in their crew cabin when it flooded after impact.

beenie weenie February 26th, 2010 11:15 PM

Ahh right, the story said they were taking on water. It's such a terrible tragedy.

Snoozeman February 26th, 2010 11:24 PM

Makes me think twice about those 1A cabins on Riviera deck although they are above the water line.

beenie weenie February 27th, 2010 09:33 AM

You know Ray there's no guarantee, everytime we walk out of our house there's a chance we could get run over by a bus.

Reminds me of a winter cruise on NCL Spirit we took a few years back. We were way up on the 9th deck. The week before a rogue wave hit and busted out a window on the room across the hall completely flooding the room and sucking the contents out into the sea. Viv and Bo, friends we met on our Jewel Repo in November were in an Owner's Suite (can't recall which NCL ship) right beneath the bridge when a wave hit and completely took out the window and water tight door on the front balcony. They were actually in the cabin at the time and were nearly swept away except they got trapped beneath the water tight door, which probably saved them. They told us how upset the Captain was by the whole incident and how well they were taken care of afterward. They were really great people, I hope I get to sail with them again. I was cracking up though because on the repo cruise, there they were in that Owners Suite, There we all were, standing on their balcony waving to the Captain on the bridge. As much as I absolutely loved that Owner's Suite (OMG it was sooooo nice!), I think I'll stick to my aft mini suite.

Paul Motter March 2nd, 2010 10:49 PM

This is weird - I worked on this ship in 1993 when she was the Westerdam - I spent 6 weeks on her for my for first Holland America contract.

Snoozeman March 2nd, 2010 10:57 PM

I understand they have canceled all remaining cruises as she was to be transferred out of Costa soon anyway.

Hope you didn't have that cabin Paul, that would be VERY weird.

beenie weenie March 3rd, 2010 07:53 AM

That is very strange Paul