Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Admiral

Default Happy sunday morning

Good morning to all cruisemates. May you all have a peacefull and funfilled day.

Also congratulations to all the Canadian cruisemates for the great job Canada has done in hosting the winter olympics and all the medals they have won.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015

Last edited by Manuel; February 28th, 2010 at 06:28 AM. Reason: missing word
Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Captain

Good Morning! It is snowing here AGAIN today. We are up and dressed and just about ready for church but I thought I'd check in. The Olympics have just about come to an end and it has been a wonderful Olympics for Canada and for many other countries, I am so proud of all the athletes. My middle daughter continues to struggle with the concept of an Olympics when she feels that the money spent on athletics and Olympic venues could be feeding many poor people in developing nations, so in our household we've had to be very aware of her feelings and while we didn't boycott watching them, I mostly kept up to date on the internet. It's hard to raise kids who come equipped with that kind of moral compass.

Well it appears that the last of my household has surfaced so I must grab an oatmeal to go, three kids and a husband and get off to church! Have a fantastic day everyone.
Carrnival Victory 2004, Carnival Valor 2005, Carnival Fantasy 2006, Carnival Fascination 2006, Carnival Destiny 2007
Carnival Sensation 2007. Carnival Fascination 2007 Carnival Triumph 2008, Carnival Fascination 2008, MSC Orchestra 2008, Carnival Fascination 2009, Carnival Glory 2010

Waiting for the Carnival Imagination June 28,2010
Old February 28th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Admiral

Morning Mates,
Thank you Manuel for your kind words about Canadians and the Olympics.
I have only been to Vancouver once, and it is a beautiful city. To be quite honest, I was surprised to see the amount of Canadian national pride demonstrated at the Games. We have it, we just don't usually flaunt it, but with our strong athletic medal contenders, we have reason to celebrate!
Can't wait to see the outcome of the final Canada/U.S. mens' hockey game tonight!

Yesterday was an interesting day. It started out looking like a blizzard, but stopped suddenly and that was it. Just gray and dull.
So we decided to make the 2 hour trek that we had canceled the day before due to weather, and go pick up our new car!
Yes, I know we just got a new car in Oct. It was supposed to be mine when I found work. But my new job demanded that I carry a bunch of equipment around in the trunk, and the tiny Accent just wasn't big enough, so I've been using the larger Elantra.
Hubby has been feeling cramped in the Accent (he's a big guy) and didn't like that it had no cruise control or heated seats, so he looked into a trade-in.
This week he found a great trade-in deal on a new Hyundai Elantra Touring, which if you've never seen one, is like a compact station wagon.
Beautiful car, lots of interior room, and best of all, cruise control and heated seats! And it is the most beautiful Indigo Blue colour!
I got to drive it home and it was wonderful. Love these open roads in Nova Scotia!

Today it will be catch up on housework, and planning work for next week's program. I've also got to finish planning for March Break. Lots to do!
Have a good one!

donna
Old February 28th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Good Morning all!

When it comes to the Olympics, I was happy that while the US won the most medals, Canada won the most gold medals. To be honest, I've always considered that the "win the most medals" was kin to something such as a "consolation prize" to who wins the most gold. What really surprised me is that Norway didn't win more medals than it did. Anyhow, it was a great, if tragic marred, Olympics. I am so happy that the poor Canadian skater who lost her mom, won a medal. I so wanted it to be Gold but I guess one can't expect a complete story book ending every time and the one that developed, certainly sufficed.

I think it's going to be kind of dreary around these parts today but only a few snow showers are expected.

Hope Jen gets to San Juan and is able to board ship without any problems. Sure got my fingers crossed.

Good luck today Beenie Weenie on your scuba class. You'll now have your "ticket" to go diving on vacation. Are you going to take your own equipment when you go or just use theirs?

Well, I guess I'll be tuning into Nascar this afternoon for Las Vegas if, of course it's not rained out. Was kinda'; surprised they got yesterday's race to its scheduled end. I have to go online to find the actual race start time as I'm not about to sit and watch the one hour "pre-show" which all sports are now doing. Except for one time events such as Indianapolis, I find they're all the same..........borrrrring!

I join Manuel and "2little" and wish everyone a marvelous Sunday!

Todd

PS. Just saw your post Rollerdonna. Post a picture of your new car and congratulations!
Old February 28th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Admiral

Good morning Manuel, 2LT, RD, Todd, and all my other friends!

I awoke to a beautiful day, before the rain moves through tomorrow. I will be off to church in an hour or so. Afterward we will join friends for lunch, and then the slate is clean! I may take a ride to Galveston, and watch the ships set sail from Fisherman's Wharf Restaurant (right next to the ships).

I have really enjoyed the olympics this year. I guess this is the first winter olympics, since I have been retired. The Vancouver area is so pretty. We were in Vancouver when Hurricane Ike hit our area. Now that is what I call evacuation! Actually we had just finished our Alaskan cruise, and got to enjoy the city for a few additional days! Regarding the hockey game today.....

Go USA!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old February 28th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning cruisemates! It's RAINING! And not just raining, but POURING, and "my hole" is flooding. Word is the Pheonix area has had more rain in '10 than it did all of last year. They are attributing it to El Nino, or my being here. I really can't complain as we've had many beautiful days here.

Oddly Mrs. Kuki tells me the temps at home are going to be in the 50s today, so it could be one of those weird times it's warmer there than here in Feb.

So my day today will be indoors, watching olympics and eating every type of junk food available in our cupboards.
Old February 28th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!!!
Donna congrats on your new set of wheels! When d/h and I first got married we bought a pair of Elantras, his and hers . They were good trouble free cars that we drove until they had over 100,000 miles on them. Back then we both drove a lot and any car that could withstand that, is a good vehicle!

Darlene, enjoy your lunch today and trip to Galveston, it sounds heavenly!

I have a confession to make, I have not been willfully boycotting the Olympics...I just haven't taken the time to sit down and actually watch any of it. My Husband the Canadian is bursting with pride right now with all the medals his country has won, so I am pretty sure he's watched enough of it for both of us .

2Little glad that all is well with you, I've been enjoying your posts.

TM you are also a ray of sunshine around here.

Later today I will be joining an old friend, my sister and my niece for a nice dinner at a restaurant I really enjoy, but haven't had the chance to visit in years. I used to go to all their special events with wine paired dinners and occasionally took cooking classes with the chef/owner but that was a long time ago and I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to good family, friends and food. Then after that, it is scuba time!
Todd here's my equipment:
dive computer
BCD
Regulator
Gauge Console
Octopus

So I am ready to rock and roll!!!! Luckily we are driving to the port so I don't have to worry about airplanes and baggage allowances and all that.

I am really looking forward to this trip.

It is encouraging to expect temps above freezing today... we may even hit the 40's!

Not much else on the agenda for today except laundry... lots of laundry .

Have a great day everyone!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 28th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Admiral

Default Happy Sunday

Its 36 and sunny although snow is expected later . I can't wait for spring .

I hope everyone has a superb sunday
Old February 28th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Admiral

Okay B/W, I give up. What in the world is a "BCD?"

Todd
Old February 28th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Admiral

Buoyancy Compensator Device - basically it is a vest you wear that your air tank straps to the back of it. It also connects to those tanks via a low pressure connection and it can act as a buoyancy regulator. It has air bags inside of it and when you push a button it will inflate or deflate to make you more or less buoyant. Some are weight integrated meaning the weights slide into attached velcro pockets, that can quickly be released and dropped should you need to ascend to the surface quickly. It can also act as a life preserver if you need to float at the surface for a while. But really it's main purpose is to keep you neutrally buoyant so you swim effortlessly in the water neither resting on the bottom or floating up to the top (unless that is what you really want to do) to keep you from hitting coral and killing it etc...

So all I will need when I get to where I am diving is an air tank and weights...I am not hauling weights .

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 28th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Todd,

A BCD is a bouyancy compensator, if I remember my dive equipment correctly. It's used to maintain your depth while diving. (Sort of like maintaining your altitude while flying!)