Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Admiral

Default 2010 Dancing with the Stars Season . . .

Yeah, I hate the repeat show. Just wasting an hour, I think.

Judy
Old May 25th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

To let everyone who needed, to catch up....geez, they should have watched it, so we wouldn't have to again! Nicole will win, and deservedly so...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 25th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Admiral

I agree re Nicole
Old May 26th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Admiral

Ho hum -- Just as predicted and exactly according to script. At least I got to see a lot of Edyta

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Doug everytime they showed Edyta last night, I thought of you. Even had to explain to Jim why I was talking about her so much.

It was, as predicted, still a pretty good show.

I think a lot was explained when the trophy maker explained how very cheap it was to make. It was intended to be a farce of an award, and intended to be just a show.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 26th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Evan's freestyle was a mess he should have trusted Anna. I think that is why he didn't win. In my opinion Erin performed better then Evan in the finals. The last night's show where each star picked a dance to re do I think Erin made a big mistake picking the Tango. Nicole did such a good tango I would not have wanted to do that same dance. In the end the best dancers were in the finals and it was fun to watch them all. Nicole was the best dancer all season, her freestyle was smart because it showed all the dance styles she learned during the season. I'm glad she won.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 26th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinK n J View Post
Yeah, I hate the repeat show. Just wasting an hour, I think.

Judy
I agree this is why I DVRed the show and just skipped half or more of it. Including Kate's dance. I saw enough to know she never got any better.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 26th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Nicole was fantastic
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Admiral

check out YouTube with the Pussycat Dolls and see how much Nicole has altered her persona on DWTS..great career move on her part

on behalf of all males here at CruiseMates we would like to thank Nicole and Erin for helping us to appreciate ballroom dancing
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Admiral

Oh, I am SO delighted that Nocole won! She deserved it the most! I agree with the judges that Erin really improved over the season. I also thought that Evan behaved like a real gentleman when he placed second.

Let the withdrawal begin!

Judy
Old May 26th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
check out YouTube with the Pussycat Dolls and see how much Nicole has altered her persona on DWTS..great career move on her part

on behalf of all males here at CruiseMates we would like to thank Nicole and Erin for helping us to appreciate ballroom dancing
You got that right my friend! As I've stated time and time again,,I never in a million years would have thought that I'd enjoy watching ballroom dancing,,,but that's all changed now. When does the next season start?

"SKY"
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Default 2010 Dancing wit hthe Stars Season . . .

Ken, the next season begins September 20.

Judy
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 26th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
This is exactly why I didn't even end up watching this season. I was a die hard DWTS fan and watched it every season. But the last few, I've been losing interest. I knew from the first show that the final 3 would be Nicole, Evan, and Erin. And I knew Nicole would win. How could she NOT win?

I enjoy watching celebrities who don't have dance experience improve every week and become good dancers. It just doesn't interest me at all to watch somebody who gets 10's the second week and is obviously a dancer already, stay on top and win it. Yawn! It started with Kristi's season and has been getting more predictable every season since.

Just my opinion, I'm sure lots of people disagree with me!

Carnival Magic-3/12, Carnival Magic-11/11, Carnival Glory-2/11, Carnival Splendor-8/10, Carnival Conquest-1/10, Mariner of the Seas-3/09, Carnival Spirit-1/08, Grand Princess-12/06, Rhapsody of the Seas-12/05, Grand Princess-12/04, NCL Dream-12/03, MS Zuiderdam-12/02

Old May 27th, 2010, 02:04 AM
Admiral

Well, I guess I'm one of those hard-core viewers. Why? To me, dancing is beautiful when it's done right, when the dancers have beautiful bodies (male and female), when they wear beautiful costumes and dance to lovely music. Those are some of the reasons we watch DWTS. As mentioned on this thread before, sometimes they blew it with inappropriate music.

As for ringers, perhaps the writer has a point. But, I would get uncomfortable if all the dancers were as inept as Kate Gosslin or Buzz Aldrin, and I would lose interest. These dancers never improved, and most of the others didn't, eiither. That's why they were eliminated. Not all of the candidates have the natural dancing ability that Nicole does and as the pros do. I enjoy the combination of no-talents, strivers and improvers, and the ringers, as well. I thought Nicole worked hard and deserved to win.

Judy
Old May 27th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Admiral

VERY good points from both Linda and Judy. As someone said a couple of weeks ago,,,it got down to "which pro was going to win"? That made no difference to me, as I too just enjoyed watching them dance, and asking myself,,,,"How in the hell do they do that"? I'm sure if I were to appear on DWTS, that I'd make "Buzz" look GREAT! In any case, I truly enjoyed this season, and hope that next season is as entertaining. Bring it on!!!

Ken
"SKY"
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Admiral

Linda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
When you draw "stars" from various fora and pursuits, some undoubtedly will have experience that better prepares them for ballroom dancing than others and thus will have an advantage in competition.

What sort of background is relevant?

>> Formal training in music is decidedly helpful.

>> Sports that teach graceful movement and synchronization of movement to music clearly provide some advantage.

>> Experience in performing before an audience is likely to help the contestants to overcome the nervous jitters that may sabotage those who are not accustomed to such situations.

>> To some extent, professions and recreational pursuits that build the muscles used in ballroom dancing are certainly helpful. This, however, may not extend to all athletic endeavors.

But in the end, the more relevant question may be to what extent an advantage is due to training and to what extent it's due to commonality of relevance of gifted ability.

Let me repeat that. The more relevant question may be to what extent an advantage is due to training and to what extent it's due to conomality of relevance of gifted ability.

Here's what I mean. The people who have the gift of natural graceful movement and the gift to move in syncronization with music inevitably will rise to the top in a sport like figure skating, and also in a sport like ballroom dancing, because their natural movement conforms to what's required.

By contrast, training may play a much lesser role because the actual techniques are very different. In ballroom dancing, one simply does not plant a toe pick to do a spin (pivot) or glide on an inside edge. Indeed, the balance and the footwork of ballroom dancing and the balance and the footwork of figure skating -- which is a major part of what one learns in training -- are very different.

Fundamentally, I doubt that Dancing with the Stars searches out "ringers" at all, however much differences in natural ability may make it seem that way.

Here, I should also note that some of the athletes who have appeared on the program have not made it to the final few rounds, contrary to what the article might lead one to believe. Many sports simply do not strengthen the same muscles that one uses in ballroom dancing, and in fact may tighten muscles that one may need to stretch to do various ballroom dances properly and thus inhibit proper movement and styling.

Norm.
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Admiral

Judy,

Quote:
Well, I guess I'm one of those hard-core viewers. Why? To me, dancing is beautiful when it's done right, when the dancers have beautiful bodies (male and female), when they wear beautiful costumes and dance to lovely music.
I agree completely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
As mentioned on this thread before, sometimes they blew it with inappropriate music.
Yes, one's choice of music for an exibition or competition routine definitely can make or break a routine! There's nothing like the emotional high of dancing in front of an audience that's clapping in sync with an upbeat tune, for sure -- and yes, I'm speaking from personal experience on this! If the music does not hook the audience and draw them into the routine, a flawless performance will fall flat -- and unfortunately, I have also watched that happen on more than a few occasions.

Norm.
Old May 27th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Admiral

all that stuff is well and good, but the main criteria should be how good looking the female star dancers and the professional female dancers look in their outfits..I could care less about form :: remember it's all about the ratings
Old May 28th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Admiral

venice,

Quote:
all that stuff is well and good, but the main criteria should be how good looking the female star dancers and the professional female dancers look in their outfits..I could care less about form :: remember it's all about the ratings
You mean you watch it for the "eye candy" factor?

I'm sure that many women do likewise, but they want to see the handsome young studs in their tuxes or Latin dance outfits.

But in reality, those of you who are watching solely for the "eye candy" factor would do well to go to your local Arthur Murray Dance Studo and sign up for a year's worth of lessons (weekly) and classes to attain some appreciation of the skill involved in performing those routines. When done well, it looks much easier than it is!

Norm.
Old May 28th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Admiral

Rev....a very good lady friend of mine danced in the Alvin Ailey Troupe for a number of years and I often went to see her, so I appreciate the incredible talent and work ethic ..it's like watching the great ball player Willie Mays in his prime, he made it look easy but it was very hard work

I actually am a fan of the couple swing dances of the 20's and 30's and the dances from the Soul Train era..I can still do a great latin hustle that would make John Travolta green with envy ;:
Old May 28th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Admiral

IMHO..it's the eye candythat drives the tv rating..I doubt seriously if most people watch DWTS and say I want to go out and take lessons to learn those dances..plus there are alot better dance shows out there that don't get the ratings because they lack the celebrity eye candy factor

in my lifetime the only true phenomenons that drove a spark to drive people in mass to pay to go to dance studios were the movies "Saturday Night Fever" and "Dirty Dancing" and Michael Jackson's song Billie Jean which featured the "moon walk"..I once read an article about how Arthur Murray's Dance Studios were in deep financial trouble during the 70's and received a second wind due to the Saturday Night Fever disco mania

to keep this in a cruising theme, I do enjoy watching couples (older in general) on the dance floor at the Captain's reception dancing to the big band songs from the 30's and 40's ..i really enjoy when these same couples sneak into the disco at midnight on 70's night and participate in the Soul Train line and the "Step" contest