Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Default Greatest influence on your life

Is there one person you have met or known that was a great influence on your life ,if so whom ?

For me it was Dr.Martin Luther King ,Jr .whom I had the honor of meeting in the mid 60's .
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Acting Sgt. J.F. Pope. My senior drill instructor in U.S. Marine Corps boot camp. 1959.

"SKY"
Old March 10th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Admiral

My Dad who died at the young age of 53 and when I was 22..what a positive role model
Old March 10th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Yes, but you don't know them. Mostly I remember certain things older guys said to me that stuck with me over the years. Three of them were people I worked for, and one was a friend's dad.

My dad was not a huge "role model" for me, he was actually kind of a distant person, but I realize now he had the biggest influence on my life.

I have a similar question - but I want to star a new thread so it gets noticed.
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Admiral

My dad was involved with the american labor movement .He wanted me to follow in his footsteps and was a bit perturbed when I chose to go into another field .However ,he always inspired me to be the best that I could be
Old March 10th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Admiral

Y'all are going to either laugh out loud or believe I grew up in a closet but to be perfectly honest, my wife has to have been the greatest single influence in my life.

There of course were other folks but when it all comes down to the nitty-gritty, it has been Fran.

Todd
Old March 10th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Banned
Captain

William Shatner

How William Shatner Changed the World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had the honour of shaking this guy's hand a few years back.

A close second is Pierre Elliott Trudeau. A hand I also had the good fortune to shake, while walking down the street no less.
Old March 11th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Admiral

i've been thinking about this thread..the 2nd greatest influence in my life was my 8th grade English teacher "Mr Sig" Halland...upon enterning junior high school i was placed in the "b" tract (vocational) instead of the "a" (college) tract..back in those days they didn't have all the sophisticated testing they do today, it was just assume because of many factors.. last period of the day was study hall and "Mr Sig" drew the assignment and I use to be a cut up (hard to believe) and quite frankly a pain in the behind (i was not motivated)..Mr Sig made me read a book (Les Miserables (sp) and give him both a written and verbal report at the end of study hall everyday...I hated him for it, but i did it and discovered my love of reading..he forced the guidance counselor to put me in his class, which forced the school to change my tract..when i was a senior, he came to my house to help my parents fill out the PCS form so that I could go to college..he wrote me once a month while i was in college and demanded that i write back to him...i discovered that during WW2 Mr Sig (who was from Norway) was in the underground resistence against the NAZI's and was capture and tortured in a concentration camp...
I was so blessed to have my Dad and Mr. Sig in my life
my 3rd greatest influence is my Son, of whom I am so proud of
Old March 11th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Admiral

It is hard to know who has had the most influence in my life.

Never one to really follow many stars or hearthrobs, I was rather amazed to find that I was so carried away with Diana - even before she was a Princess - during the whole "dating" and wedding, and early years. Her fashion, and style - her works of charity - all did impact me greatly.

In a more personal way it is hard to narrow it down. My father - who always helped anyone - no matter what. Who served our community tirelessly - giving of his time and labors and finances. Yet, still always noticing the beauty of the world around him. Had a deep relationship with God. Was a story-teller. A sense of humor. Was always ready to go on an adventure. And was unafraid, or maybe loved enough, to tell people the "hard" things they needed to hear.
I am much like him, and I guess I never realized it until I answered this question. Odd - I've modeled my life after someone and didn't know it. Well - all but my sense of fashion - which was addresed above. Also - my mother - for she is still always giving of her time and talents - taught me manners, which I appreciate and try to use - household skills, and so much more. From them both I learned the love of books - they both read not only too me, but just always read for themselves. I never can remember a time when books were not present, and open and used.
sorry - as usual I go on and on.
Thanks
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Don't underestimate Diana!

She was a very important role model and the one thing she did was take away the stigma of AIDS. Even when it was already known that it was a victimless disease and actually very hard to transmit, people remained very judgemental and discrimated against AIDS victims in this country for many years.

Diana went to Africa and picked up the AIDS babies there and held and caressed them, and it was a shocking move at the time. She had tremendous courage and conviction and knew the impact that simple statement would make. It changed the entire perception of the disease and made regular people care.
Old March 11th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I also met Dr. King, several times. I knew his dad better, because as a little girl, Dr. King was in grad school, and away from home. Something that is not well known. He was called Marty back then, because he and his dad shared the same name. His mom was always called Momma King.

The person that influenced my life the most was my mom. Not in the usual way, but as an example of what not to be like. She was very professional, but had many problems that back then was kept behind closed doors.

My children benifited because they never ever wondered if they were loved. The never had to compete with something, or someone, because I was to busy.

As a child I was very lonely, but as an adult, I was able to not only forgive her, but thank her for helping me be the person I turned out to be.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link