Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Admiral

Default Saturday Sunshine!

Morning Mates, today marks 1 entire week of sunshine in Pictou County, I think that might be a record! Looking forward to a glorious day outside...

Yesterday marked the 6 month anniversary of our move to Nova Scotia, and last night there was more action here than I've seen in 6 months!

It all started just after 7pm with screaming sirens, which we NEVER hear on the Sunrise Trail. They passed our driveway, then suddenly stopped, and we went " oh oh".
Ran outside to see lots of flashing lights, next door, smoke billowing in the sky and flames shooting up in the trees.
My first thought was for our neighbour Bill, just a few hundred metres up the road, so I trekked up there, only to find him standing in his driveway, house fine, but watching the scene unfold NEXT DOOR to him.

There is an old abandoned church next door, which has been for sale since we moved here, and apparently there was a trailer in the back, occupied by a young family, and that was what had gone up in flames.
I don't know if they got out safely, as the emergency vehicules and personnel wouldn't let us closer, but that fire raged for hours, and more and more firetrucks arrived until late in the evening.
Later, it was the heavy salt trucks that came to salt the roads that I guess were pretty icy after all that water used to put out the fire.
I heard sirens again around 1 a.m. don't know what that was about, but I guess I'll find out in the news today....

Nothing exciting on tap for day, just housework and getting out and enjoying the sun, even though it is stilll -5C!

donna
Old March 13th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
Hope you are all well. I have been awake since the wee hours and decided that I may as well get up and do something productive. I am up...but perhaps not so productive.

Donna, I hope the family is OK and they made it out alright.

Today it is about 46 degrees so far and it has been raining forever I think. I may need to build an ark if it continues. I just went out on the patio to check on all my plants and I am pleased to report that they all appear to be mealybug free. I think they are gone now. I think between the little bit of sun, longer days, insecticide, the fertilizer, the rain and temps staying slightly above freezing at night we may have eliminated them. I know they are all doing much better than they were.

D/S got up about a half hour ago. D/H and D/D are both fighting sickness and are still in bed where they belong. I hope they can lick this. D/H went to the doc yesterday and I am optimistic the meds will start to kick in soon.

I have very little to do today...aside from the mountain of laundry and cleaning that is always needing to be done. I am hoping that the rain will stop for a while so I can clean up my flower beds and get some bulbs planted. I am glad the rain is softening up the ground which will make the job a lot easier. But I really want to get a jump on it, so I can focus on watching it all grow.

Well I plan on going and buying a lottery ticket since it appears I will have a good size tax bill to pay. I won't have the official amount of damages until Monday. Not looking forward to that at all.

Tomorrow is my last scuba class. I hate to see it come to an end, it's been a fun experience.

Well I better go throw a load of clothes in the washer... Hope you all have a great day!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 13th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Walked over to check out the remnants of the fire. There is nothing left of the trailer except the cement front steps. The church has lost it's roof and all the siding has melted off.
The occupants of the trailer were a single mom and her 4 yr old son, and thankfully, they got out safely.
Will post pics later....

donna
Old March 13th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Good morning cruisemates

We are in Palm Coast, Florida and the weather is nice and sunny for the weekend. It did rain yesterday but it was not cold and besides it has to rain sometime.

I wish you all a beautifull fun-filled weekend.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 13th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning cruisemates!

Bright sunshine and clear blue skies, with temps heading to mid 70s in Scottsdale. A magnificent weather day ahead!

Was trying to check in and print my boarding pass for my flight to Miami tomorrow. It wouldn't get me to the right screen, so I called, and got transferred to "web services", who put me on hold to talk to someone else. Then they told me it has to do with the clock change to daylight savings time tomorrow, so I should try again in an hour and it will work.

I said, wait a second, we're moving clocks forward, so it should have worked an hour earlier. They said that would make sense, but it will work in an hour

We'll see. What do u think the chances are?

I'm waiting for a call about a delivery of a new washer/dryer.. who are supposed to call before 10 AM. Wonder if they'll be late because of daylight savings time too

If the delivery comes in time I'll golf later. If not I'll patio perch and watch the golfers go by.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 13th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Default Storming ,flooding

Good morning all .We have a floodwatch here till late this evening ,There are gale force winds and heavy rain .The rain will continue for 2 more days .Not a day to be outdoors .We have to keep a constant watch on both our deck furniture as well as our terrace furniture .

I hope everyone is having nice weather
Old March 13th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Admiral

Default Saturday Sunshine

Good morning from Southern California. No sun yet, but it's suposed to be a nice day.

Keith is off to Flabob and the old airplane project. I have some housework to do, but I am undecided about how I will spend the rest of my free day.

Have a nice Saturday, all.

Judy
Old March 13th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Good Morning cruisemates!

Bright sunshine and clear blue skies, with temps heading to mid 70s in Scottsdale. A magnificent weather day ahead!

Was trying to check in and print my boarding pass for my flight to Miami tomorrow. It wouldn't get me to the right screen, so I called, and got transferred to "web services", who put me on hold to talk to someone else. Then they told me it has to do with the clock change to daylight savings time tomorrow, so I should try again in an hour and it will work.

I said, wait a second, we're moving clocks forward, so it should have worked an hour earlier. They said that would make sense, but it will work in an hour

We'll see. What do u think the chances are?

I'm waiting for a call about a delivery of a new washer/dryer.. who are supposed to call before 10 AM. Wonder if they'll be late because of daylight savings time too

If the delivery comes in time I'll golf later. If not I'll patio perch and watch the golfers go by.
I see secondary screening and a body cavity search in your very near future... Don't forget to say "cheese" when they do that full body scan.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 13th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Good afternoon everyone.

Had some errands to run for Fran in preparation for tomorrow's conclave here at home.

Fran's Mammogram returned and when she opened it she found that the results were "Normal-No Cancer"." She was so relieved she sat down and cried. She had been terrified that inasmuch as she already has two forms of cancer and as breast cancer is so prevalent around here, it would come back positive. I myself actually started breathing normally again after almost two days.

She's now working her tail end off in the kitchen doing the prep work for all of the hors d'oeuvres, getting her baking finished, etc. She's been cleaning all week and I helped out by taking down and cleaning the dining room chandelier, two other smaller ceiling fixtures in the hall that are also a PIA to clean and doing other tasks "as assigned."

My part really occurs tomorrow when I do the meats, gravy and sauces for the main course.

I wanted to post very early today but I guess the site was down for maintenance.

Am so relieved to learn your neighbors were okay Donna. What a tragedy that they lost everything...a young mother and her daughter. How so very sad.

B/W, sounds as if your considerable combination nursing and housekeeping skills will be get another work out today. But then in your case it's "situation normal."

Manuel, hope you don't float away! Keep us posted.

Kuki, if things go true to form, they'll be three days late and still blame it on the time change!

Prayers continue for those on the list as well as Blessing on all.

Have a marvelous weekend, gang!

Todd