Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Dining in ports...

When you are in port, do you take the time to dine in one of the restaurants, and enjoy the local flavor? This is something I want to do next cruise..it seems I am either too tired, or too involved in an excursion, and just want to get back onboard, and eat there.

I know I am missing a slice of the island life, and a taste of the local cuisine..you too? I hope not....I need to really try this..Mike, I know you do, and enjoy it every time...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Mike, I know you do, and enjoy it every time...
Yes: Most of the time I do enjoy it. Then again, on the last cruise we were in Mazatlan and I found that two things don't go together. "Cheap Mexican Buffet and Hog Intestines". However; the intestinos were less chewy than Royal Caribbean's roast beef.

Eating at different places are highlights of the cruise. It's great to sample local cuisine. We love to get as far away, as we can, from the port to find a good local restaurant. Cab drivers are a great resource to find a good place to eat.

Even Betty didn't want the Mexican Buffet but I just had to try it. We didn't get sick but the "intestinos" were only worthy of one bite. However, the chicharrones were great. We also found a great little taco place at the market in Mazatlan.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Trip,

While I'm not into Caribbean cuisine (and that's the only place we've cruised), I would most definitely eat at a local restaurant(s) if I am ever able to take a cruise to Nova Scotia. The seafood must be absolutely marvelous. Matter of fact that cruise also stops in Boston and I would love to pig out on real New England Clam chowder!

Also I would definitely eat ashore were we to ever cruise Europe. But being realistic, that ain't ever gonna' happen.

Todd
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Admiral

We usually don't have anything more than some salsa and a beer ashore (at the port restaurants where we feel "safe") ! Like you, by the time we've done whatever, all I want to do is get back on board, relax and eat later.

My stomach is not happiest when I eat unusual (to it!) things , which is another factor.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Yes Trip, if possible time wise we do like to try a local restaurant. In Hawaii we had a chance to eat a nice place out on the point with a view to bad it was dark. We had a late dinner off the ship in Venice and listened to the groups play music in St. Marks square. There are not that many occasions when the timing will allow you to eat on shore. It always seems like the ship can't wait to leave the port. I often wonder if there are charged by the hour. Mike
Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Linda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
When you are in port, do you take the time to dine in one of the restaurants, and enjoy the local flavor? This is something I want to do next cruise..it seems I am either too tired, or too involved in an excursion, and just want to get back onboard, and eat there.

I know I am missing a slice of the island life, and a taste of the local cuisine..you too? I hope not....I need to really try this..Mike, I know you do, and enjoy it every time...
I often will stop someplace ashore for a snack, or perhaps for lunch if I go ashore with a companion, but I really can't see paying money to dine ashore when I have already paid for a nice dinner ("fine dining" or better) on the ship.

The most significant exception to this, for me, is on cruises to Europe, where typical shore excursions are "all day" ventures, often to cities that are some distance from the port of call, with lunch included.

That said, I sometimes add a pre-cruise or post-cruise stay -- or both! -- to a cruise, during which I obviously dine ashore.

Norm.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:54 PM
Admiral

Default Dining in Ports

When we first started cruising, my DH was of the well-I-already-paid-to-eat-on-the-ship mentality. Gradually, we got away from that restrictive attitude. We had some good meals in Europe, in the Med., the Caribbean, and in Mexico.

Recently, we enjoyed one so-so lunch in Hilo, I think it was, and an excellent lunch on Maui. We could have had dinner in Honolulu and should have planned ahead to do that. But, we spent a lot of time on the Battleship Missouri. (If you do that, I suggest you don't have lunch on the battleship, as we did!) When the tour ended, we shared a cab back to the Zaandam with another couple. We were tired and just glad to be back on our own ship.

Judy