Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Default Casual socializing where you live

Today's discussion on the daily thread concerning "nights out" made me think of something.

I guess we all have places we like to go for casual dinners, etc. and of course what we enjoy doing often changes as we age. Still, I got a little wistful reading about how such a good time Roller Donna has visiting a local pub for Trivia night whereat it seems the fun revolves more around the folks than the alcohol.

When I lived in Staten Island, blue collar socializing often involved a neighborhood bar, much as in the TV series "Cheers." Probably still does because people usually don't have to worry about driving with all of the public transportation available.

I also notice how very much my sister-in-law (who is Manx) and even my brother miss the local pub life in Great Britain. Over there social life truly does revolve around the local pub and one doesn't have to drink a thing Ithough of course most do) to enjoy it. Matter of fact, entire families socialize at pubs in the British Isles.

Here in East Tennessee, with it's location being in the middle of the Bible Belt, a lot of socializing similar to that described above often involves the Church.

So, my question to everyone is, does the area in which you live have it's own special customs and/or special places for casual socializing that while might not be unique, still may very from other areas of the country in which you live or, say, are different between Canada and the US or other countries from which some of our CruiseMates might respond?

Todd
Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Admiral

I don't know, here things are very laid back if not somewhat non-existent. I do have a group of friends that go out occasionally but, truthfully life usually gets in the way of true consistent socialization.

About once a year or so we plan a night out which can consist of a few different things. Maybe the Moon Glo or the Nugget, the area's cook your own steak venues, followed by a night of karaoke. Last time it was a night at the Mexican food restaurant La Potosina, where all us old married chics listened with great interest to one of our newly liberated group members tales of the new dating pitfalls. They were hysterically funny stories and so far we have not yet been able to pair our single friend up with the right guy.But all I can say is thank goodness I am married because Computer dating is just plain for the birds!

Every once in a while I will reconnect with an old friend from High School through Facebook and we will meet up and have a nice little reunion. and it is so wonderful. Some have changed, some haven't, but l never the less it is fun and interesting.

As I have previously mentioned the last several Sundays I've been meeting up with my sis, niece and friends for dinner which has been great fun, but truthfully, we just aren't that exciting, lol.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 18th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Admiral

living in New Orleans presents several opportunities for casual socializing and it's centered around the area of the City that one lives in..there are several social clubs or krewes that are the catalyst and it always includes food, music and family

during the Saints season everything is centered around tailgating prior to the game and it achieved super status this past season

red beans and rice is a staple everywhere on Monday or you can hang out in Cajun Swamp Country and have alligator gumbo on Saturday nights

there is a food theme festival every weekend of the year (in my village it's the andouille festival),and of course the famous New Orleans jazz brunch on Sundays
Old March 19th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Interesting question Todd.
As you already mentioned, Trivia Nite at the pub is our new favourite in our new home in rural Nova Scotia. We never had anything like it back in Montreal, and we really never went out anywhere there. Montreal is a great city for the under 35's, lots of bars and clubs, but if you're not into that scene, you stay home.
Friends are important to any kind of social life here too. We have a few and are making more as we get to know people better, and I like nothing more than having friends over for dinner or even going out and trying a new (to us) restaurant with friends.

I haven't spent a summer here yet, but I have been assured that in the summertime, when all the local pubs and restaurants are open again on the waterfront in Pictou, it is a real gathering place, where people sit outside on the terrace, drink, socialize, and even Trivia is played outdoors.
I am the designated driver, as we live a good drive outside of town and there is NO public transportation out here, but I'm not much of a drinker anyway.
As Todd mentioned also, the churches are big around here for social gatherings as well. There always seems to be a church supper or dance or fundraiser of some kind or another, it's another great way to meet people.

donna
Old March 19th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Banned
Captain

Everyone keeps to themselves in our neighbourhood. Both parents working to pay the bills, so no time for socializing, etc.. Most folks come home after the sun comes down, after picking up the kiddies from school or all-day daycare. Eat and go to bed. We are the only ones outside most days. Been here 6 years, and haven't so much as talked to some neighbours.
Old March 19th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Captain, there are many many neighbourhoods like that. Sad, isn't it, that life for so many has come to this. They are missing out on LIFE!

donna
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Admiral

our subdivision use to be like that until Hurricane Katrina...I along with about 7 other males did not evacuate and we bonded together to form a neighbor watch (plus I was the only one smart enough not to get the total electric package so I had a gas stove, so everyone came to my house to cook)

we now have neighbor block parties every few months (the last being on Super Bowl Sunday) and we have a system for evacuation for hurricanes..we also know who has medical conditions and who to contact in case of emergencies

the first saturday of every month the group of 8 males gather to have our ritual of updating about the single/separated/divorced/having affairs females in our subdivision.since i am the only single member of our group, i am responsible for follow up
the other ritual we have is that once a year, i take all of our group's wives and my now neighborhood GF (there was a reason why I volunteered to do follow up)at my expense on an outing ...this year we are going to see the Pointer Sisters and have dinner at the best catfish place in Louisiana...there is a method to my madness..my female married neighbors make sure I always have a Sunday plate of food...at next month's meeting i am going to suggest that the husbands pay for their wives (and me as the group leader) to go on the Halloween CruiseMate Group cruise on the NCL Epic (my GF can't go because she only has enough vacation time to go with me the week before on the Capital Jazz Cruise)..hmmmm me and 7 married women on a cruise..that should be real interesting
Old March 19th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Admiral

When I lived in Brooklyn I had a group of friends ,10 couples that we socialized with on a regular basis .Since moving to "small town ",NY ,its totally different .People tend to just sit home and relax
Old March 19th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The local coffee shop is the normal socializing spot to catch up on what's going on. Betty and I go there just about every day. It's a nice way to keep up with people and what's going on in the local community. The mayor and some city council members are there quite often. It also is also the place where local functions and charitable activities are planned.

I really don't live in a neighborhood but my nearest neighbors and I talk when we either pass by on the road or when Kramer and I are out on our walks.

Otherwise it's get togethers with friends and family about once a month.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 19th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Banned
Captain

Rollerdonna> Yes the working parent syndrome does suck. We meet fellow parents at the bus stop, and school functions, and have met some in the area this way. But closer neighbours are like "passing ships in the night" (my daily cheap cruising reference). Mrs. Tennille is more sociable than I, so she get stuff going.
Old March 20th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I love to go to the Central Florida Cruisers Dinners when I can. It is always fun to get together with people who are as addicted to cruising as I am. I also socialize with my friends from work at lunch sometimes.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain