CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Cruisemates, tell us why.... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/372679-cruisemates-tell-us-why.html)

Trip March 20th, 2010 08:54 PM

Cruisemates, tell us why....

The prettiest port you have visited...I have not been yet, but in my mind....the Italian Riviera..

The one that was a big let down.....Dominica..I was ill, but stayed on the shsip, but even if I wasn't I think I would have anyway...

The most interesting....Caracas

ToddDH March 20th, 2010 08:57 PM

I can tell you it certainly wasn't Bayonne!rofl

I would probably have to go with St. George in Bermuda.

Todd

canuckity March 20th, 2010 09:00 PM

We found Dubrovnik, Croatia to be abslutely beautiful. Twice we have been to Samana, Dominican Republic and feel that we have no desire to go back.

rollerdonna March 20th, 2010 09:23 PM

It might have been St. Kitts, but I think it was St. Lucia ( I still get them confused) but it was some of the most beautiful scenery and abundance of flowers I've ever seen in port.

donna

Lisa March 20th, 2010 09:52 PM

Funchal, Madiera was the most beautiful port I have been to.

balabusta March 20th, 2010 10:01 PM

Lisa, I am with you on Funchal, Madeira. That was our first, "port of call", when we took a repositioning cruise two years ago. I loved going to the store that sold all that beautiful needlepoint and pottery, loved going on the tram, the wine tasting was wonderful, evening climbing up the steep stairs to see that beautiful church was worth it. I must admit, I chickened out on the ride where the locals put you on a moving vehicle and pushed you down a hill!

venice March 21st, 2010 02:24 AM

a tie..Santorini Greece and Venice Italy (on the same cruise fyi)..both at sunset in September...to look down into the crater in Santorini was awesome, to be on a gondola ride at sunset on the Grand Canal awesome for a poor young man who grew up in rural upstate new york

in terms of the caribbean, Barbados

Marc March 21st, 2010 02:43 AM

Here is what I posted in response to an identical thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc (Post 1281372)
The prettiest I have been to is probably Dubrovnik or Santorini; Venice does't really top the list because where you dock is pretty non-descript.

The most interesting ports have been St Petersburg and Venice. We have spent multiple days in both and there is still more to see. Venice definitely is the best sail in and sail away.

My least favorite port is Grand Cayman. Tendering, crowds, high costs. and limited sight seeing place it on the bottom.

Linda, you drive me crazy posting the same question on multiple boards. :( I always read Chit Chat last so I usually end up replying on one thread only to find most of the responses are on the Chit Chat thread.

I guess now is not a good time to ask a question about the Terms of Service rule about spamming the boards. :mrgreen:

Trip March 21st, 2010 08:17 AM

Yup, I guess not....:)

Phil&Liz March 21st, 2010 08:30 AM

I found Tahiti to be my favorite with St. Martin close by in second.

As far as Europe/Med...I visited Taoramino on the northern tip of Sicily and really liked it. Rome was nice tho I didn't get to spend much time there.

I don't want to hijack a good thread so remove or delete the following if y'all wish....

Marc & Trip: hope I don't violate the TOS with this but.... When I see a multiple post I usually go the one with the most followup posts in it, which is usually in chit chat anyway....
most folks nowadays don't know about usenet newsgroups but there used to be an etiquette about posting. Probably doesn't apply here but...
The Net Abuse FAQ
The term "spam," as used on this newsgroup, means "the same article (or essentially the same article) posted an unacceptably high number of times to one or more newsgroups." CONTENT IS IRRELEVANT. 'Spam' doesn't mean "ads." It doesn't mean "abuse." It doesn't mean "posts whose content I object to."

Here's the difference between cross-posting and multi-posting: cross-posting is where you list all the groups on the Newsgroups: line of a single post. Multi-posting is where you have some idiotic program fire an individual copy of the post to each group. (If you do it manually, that's even more idiotic.) A cross-post only takes up the space of 1 post (one on every newsserver in the world), no matter how many groups; multi-posting takes up the space of dozens or hundreds of posts (on every newsserver in the world), which is why it infuriates so many people.
So, cross-posting is better than multi-posting. It's still very often a bad idea, and if you get carried away it'll still get cancelled. This is often called Excessive Cross-Posting, or ECP. Some folks still call it "velveeta" because they like cutesy names."

Phil & Liz

Lakers Fan March 21st, 2010 08:52 AM

St. George in Bermuda for me

Marc March 21st, 2010 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil&Liz (Post 1281383)
I found Tahiti to be my favorite with St. Martin close by in second.

Phil & Liz

Liz, I totally forgot about Tahiti. Moorea and Bora Bora were fantastic but our highlight was the Motu on Taha'a where we spent the whole day in the water while the waiter brought drinks to us with his floating bar. :)

MTL March 21st, 2010 10:54 AM

beautiful ports!!!!

Hi Trip,
The most facinating ports for us are:Portofino,Funchal,Tenerife & Barcelona.
Have a nice day,
MTL

venice March 21st, 2010 12:30 PM

just for the record I will give the popular answerroflroflany port is beautiful when you are on a cruise and wake up and open your balcony door and see itroflrofl

exception to the above is Ensenada:p

Rev22:17 March 23rd, 2010 08:56 PM

Linda,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1281318)
The prettiest port you have visited...

Skagway, Alaska. The ride to Summit Lake and back on the White Pass & Yukon Route (WP&YR), which all of the major cruise lines offer as a shore excursion, offers absolutely breathtaking beauty that's absolutely unsurpassed by any other port of call that I have ever visitied.

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
The one that was a big let down.....

Livorno, Italy, on my first visit there. Having heard that Firenze ("Florence") was known for outstanding art and beautiful gardens, I learned that (1) most of the art was in museums where we did not have time to see it and (2) the gardens, at least in the central area, were behind high stone walls between the buildings where we could not see them, the public courtyards being paved with stone right up to the buildings and the walls. And after seeing absolutely magnificent art in Istanbul, Pireaus, Barcelona and Montserrat, and Monte Carlo, what we did get to see in the Church of Santa Croce seemed absolutely anticlimactic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
The most interesting....

Hmmm.... That's a tough one, but I'm going to go with Istanbul. It's a fascinating crossroad of east and west, the meeting point of two continents, teeming with history, culture, and magnificent art.

Norm.