Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Default Johnny Maestro & Alex Chilton !!! RIP

IMHO, Johnny Maestro was one of the great doo-wop superstar singers of all time died this week at age 70..he was the front man for some of the great groups ..Crest..Del-Satins...and one of my all time favorites Brooklyn Bridge..I still play his hits "16 Candles' & " The Worse That Could Happen" on my turntable...I don't know who wrote the lyrics but he could sure sing them

Alex Chilton was the lead singer for the Box Tops who of course had the mega hit 'The Letter' which every garage band played to death in the 60's and Joe Cocker made a small fortune with singing at Woodstock

On the positive side, Chubby Checker is still alive and well and performing at age 68..he was actually at Jazz Fest last year and it was so much fun watching both old timers and the young hip-hop crowd doing the twist

PBS & NPR put on Doo-Wop concerts all the time..I would suspect some promoter would make a small fortune by chartering a full cruise ship with this theme

every man that has ever had his heart broken by the woman he let get away knows every word to "The Worse That Can Happen'
Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Admiral

I saw Johnny Maestro in concert in 2004 ,it was an outdoor concert and he was great .It was the only time I ever attended one of his concerts
Old March 27th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Venice,

I forgot all about two incidents on the recent thread about knowing anyone famous. This thread reminded me that:

1. I once was at a gathering where Johnny Maestro was in attendance. Loved his music but at least on that day, his affinity for expecting to be treated with the utmost deference I thought a bit gauche, especially since the event occurred well past his prime.

2. Shortly after retiring and moving home in '96, I did the twist with Chubby Checker on the stage of the Auditorium out at Tusculum College (a small liberal arts college that is right outside town and has the distinction of being the oldest college West of the Alleghany Mtns.). The event was a benefit for a local hospital. Being one who cannot walk and chew gum at the same time much less dance, it was the only dance of my teenage years that I could actually acceptably perform. Chubby is hands down as much fun as his persona reflects.

Todd