Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:10 AM
Admiral

Default Wet Wednesday

Morning Mates,
It's a wet and miserable day in Pictou County, heavy rains expected all day with a temp of +3C or 37F. Temps are supposed to be going up toward the weekend, I sure hope so!

I have only a 1/2 day today, so I am going to take advantage of that and meet my hubby for lunch at one of the charming little places in town. Not quite sit-out-on-the-patio weather, but it's just as charming inside, and the proprietors are wonderful people. Even dogs are welcome in their establishment!

Then tonight is our weekly visit to another local pub for Trivia. Boy, we are going to be well-practiced by the time out next cruise rolls around!

donna
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:18 AM
Admiral

Angry Record Rains

Here in N.E. we are h aving incredible record rain falls with people having to get to and from their homes in canoes, flooded basements, dams overflowing, etc. etc. There are areas that in this month alone have had over 18 inches of water..A dear friend had a fire caused by water for the first time in her basement..homes are becoming inhabitable..a local dog rescue has had to evacuate and find foster homes for their dogs and the dogs coming from "kill" shelters the end of the week.. Things are bleak here in MA..I hope all of you here in MA are safe and dry
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Good morning Donna and all who follow.

What is happening in the Northeast, especially Massachussets and Rhode Island is such a tragedy! Still waiting to hear from Trip and Henry and the others either on this thread or the one I started for checking in.

As for us, Wednesday morning dawned bright and sunny this morning with warm temps forecast. It's supposed to get up to around 80 tomorrow. Spring has definitely sprung here in upper East Tennessee.

We got our season's passes to Dollywood. We found that if we take our time and its a pretty day we enjoy strolling through the park and catching the shows, etc. As most of you know, Fran just loves Pigeon Forge and we often stay will stay overnight during the early Spring and Then in the Fall on "points" as it doesn't cost us anything for the room. We usually don't go during the summer months when school is out as it is so packed and it takes almost half again more points for each night. As we only live 70 from the town, we also make day trips that don't involve Dollywood.

Nothing on the agenda save Church and taking Fran shopping. Hope everyone has a wonderful (and if not that, at least SAFE, especially in Massachusetts) day.

Special prayers for those at church today in the flooded areas and Blessings upon all.

Todd
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning all from a sunny dry Texas. The temps are going up today to around 85. Our norm is 75. I hope this is not a sign of the how hot our summer will be.

Today is the day we go to Austin to pick up Joe's clothes. Not looking forward to it, but ready to get it over with and close this part of our lives.

Jim took the whole day off, so we are going early to find the hotel we picked out for his business trip, and to check out the post he will be working on.

Therapy went well yesterday, but it leaves me so drained, that by the time I get home, I have no emotion at all. We have decided to cut my visits down to every two weeks, instead of every week. I want to one day be able to go it alone.

We talked about turning all this into something positive. I want a support group for our little area, not associated with the military for families who have lost kids. I could one day run it, but do not feel strong enough yet to do so.

I do hope that all of you in the high water are out of harms way. The news last night of what all of you are going through made me sick. I pray that it will soon be over with.

Everyone, Have a great day. Remember to love... Life is short.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
The weather this week has so made up for the weather we've had in the last month. I pray that you folks in the Northeast can get some much needed relief from the unrelenting raining and floods.

The yard is starting to dry out a little here, still some standing water on the very southern end of the yard. The neighbor and I went out last night and cut down some old scrubby trees and stuff along the fence line behind the house. Now I need to haul them down to the brush pile and let them dry out so that eventually they will burn. I think that might be a good job for when d/h gets home. I think perhaps on Friday we'll attack it.

Mulch needs to be put down around the house. I need to get a garden going soon... Where will I find the time?

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 31st, 2010, 09:15 AM
Admiral

Default Trip and henry

Not sure where Henry lives, but know exactly where Trip does and it's south of us and its possible she mayhave problems and Norm doesn't live that further away...
Old March 31st, 2010, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Parrot Mom,

Henry lives in New York. I don't know exactly where, however. In any event he may well be alright. We certainly hope so.

I too am worried about Trip and I didn't realize Norm lives up that way as well.

Todd
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning cruisemates! Another routinely beautiful morning in Scottsdale. Sun is shining, birds are chirping, and Kuki is packing.

Yesterday was perhaps the nicest day since I've been here... 88 degrees and hardly a wisp of wind. Played my last golf game until the courses at home open, which could be a month.

Was at my sister's last night for her Passover Seder. She had quite a crowd of family and, friends; over 50 people for a sit down dinner. Wow! But got to see my nieces, nephew, and grand niece and grand nephews all at once and a chance to say goodbye.

Two more sleeps and I take my deep tan north across the border. I've sure enjoyed my first year as a snowbird, and bored never came into the equation.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:08 AM
Admiral

Default Second Night

The flooding situation not far from where Trip lives was so severe we had to cancel visiting for a large Seder and reunion with my last cousins..What a wonderful time you must of had. I know I have Trips regular e-mail address but i can't find it right now..I'm worried about how things are with her and Norm/Rev. Another of my special cookies to be made today..
Old March 31st, 2010, 12:55 PM
Admiral

We managed to get to the seder in northern NY .It took 2 hours + detours but 3 hours to get home .Streets and highways were flooded.
Today its 55 and sunny . I hope everyone in path of the storm is okay
Old March 31st, 2010, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Default Trip

Just heard that yesterday where Trip lives they had SEVEN INCHES of water. Guess I should consider myself one of the luckiest when I see what is going on around me..
Old March 31st, 2010, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Default Storms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Parrot Mom,

Henry lives in New York. I don't know exactly where, however. In any event he may well be alright. We certainly hope so.

I too am worried about Trip and I didn't realize Norm lives up that way as well.

Todd
I'm on Long Island but I am surrounded by water bodies east ,west and north of where I live .The town has 2 main streets ,one was totally flooded .The weather is okay today ,just very windy .However ,last night we were on a highway that was completely flooded a few hours earlier .
Old March 31st, 2010, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Default Wet Wednesday

Well, I guess it's afternoon most places. Not quite noon here in CA. I don't know where Kuki got all that balmy weather, because it wasn't from us. We had a light rain yesterday with more to come tonight and in the 60's all week. Not time to put away the winter clothes, and definitely, do not lose the umbrella. I hope everyone back east comes out of all this flooding okay. Sounds scarey.

Keith is at the gym. Looks like he'll need to pull some more fire wood.

I hope everyone stays warm and dry.

Judy
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Good afternoon everyone.

I'm getting on late today. I've been up since 7:00 a.m. but there was work to be done and daylight was burning. It is a beautiful day here in central Minnesota. Right now it's 75 and it may go higher. I fired up the tractor this morning and cleaned up some winter kill on the lawn. The huge snowbanks caused some problems and the "critters" who burrow under the snow made a bit of a mess but nothing too bad. I just had to de-thatch and lawn rake up the dead grass. It's amazing how much green grass is now showing.

I'm now waiting for my nephew to come by. It's his birthday today so Uncle Mike is taking him to Pittsburgh Blue steakhouse for his dinner. The place is supposed to have excellent steaks and is a bit pricey. I'm a little scared though. He's 23 years old, 6'4" and 225 lbs. He eats like a horse. I think my pocketbook will be lighter when I return. That's OK, he's a good kid.

I hope everyone has had a wonderful day and that the rest of it is a good one.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,

I just got off the phone with our sweet Phyl, and she told me there were worries about us up here in the N.E. Luckily, I am up on a hill, so we have no standing water worries..I rode by a dam today, with the rushing waters,and spray, it looked like Niagra Falls! Yesterday I got 2 recorded messages form the town,asking to not use washing machines or dish washers..I said OK

There so many people suffering, who just went through this 2 weeks ago, and now again

Thanks for caring..and I am not surprised at all..xoxoxo

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 31st, 2010, 06:45 PM
Admiral

Default Worrying

TRIP, I have been worried about you, i thought I had your home e-mail address, but I'm not sure. Just got off the phone with my friend who lost her house.. after 48 years she had water which hit her heater (poor drainage in t his old neighborhood) and her house is just about a total loss.. She says she doesn't want to come back... Didn't go to Quincy last night because of the problems there..Our home is on a lttle hill and when the new room was put on the earth was moved so that the water drains on either side of the house.. so we are safe... as I keep running up and down the stairs to check..Stay dry!!
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

So glad you are okay. Thank God for houses on a hill.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Sandra, Luanne..thanks....more rain fell in March,then we would get in 6 months...the mall In Warwick R.I. is under water..watching the poor people on the news, like your friend, losing it all is so sad....xo

Old March 31st, 2010, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Default Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Sandra, Luanne..thanks....more rain fell in March,then we would get in 6 months...the mall In Warwick R.I. is under water..watching the poor people on the news, like your friend, losing it all is so sad....xo
Have to call my friend in Tiverton, R.I. on the water...three houses up.. Cant believe that mall in Warwick is under water.. and i'm still getting notes about the sales at Ross Simons..lol..across the road..

Last edited by Parrot Mom; March 31st, 2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old March 31st, 2010, 07:28 PM
Admiral

Am so relieved to hear that you Trip and Henry are alright. Still haven't heard from Norm, have we?

Heartbreaking to hear of that lady losing her entire home. How so very tragic!

Prayers will be offered this evening for everyone suffering the effects of this terrible storm.

Todd
Old March 31st, 2010, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Unhappy Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Am so relieved to hear that you Trip and Henry are alright. Still haven't heard from Norm, have we?

Heartbreaking to hear of that lady losing her entire home. How so very tragic!

Prayers will be offered this evening for everyone suffering the effects of this terrible storm.

Todd

It will take 8 months to restore the house..she doesn't want to come back. and this is because the pipes in this neighborhood have never been replace..

No, we havent heard from Norm.. he doesn't live far from Trip..
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:11 PM
Admiral

I believe Norm lives in Braintree..2 towns over.

Old March 31st, 2010, 08:17 PM
Admiral

I'm glad to hear that our NE friends are okay. Norm, please post and let us know you're okay, too!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Default Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I believe Norm lives in Braintree..2 towns over.
Yes, I know and I think he works in the Boston area...