Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2010, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Default T.S.A.locks

Normally when we cruise we drive and instead of locking the luggage, we use the little plastic " ties." Although it won't keep a thief out, at least you can tell if someone has been in the luggage and if so, it had to be at or on the ship.
Our upcoming trip is one where we have to fly across country. I'm not crazy about leaving my luggage just zipped, and then not too crazy about the TSA locks either. I don't mind the TSA looking through my stuff but don't want someone to steal my undies or pants either !!
How many of you use the TSA locks or do you jut leave the luggage zipped and hope for the best?
Thanks,
Ron
Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:49 PM
Captain

Default TSA Locks

We use TSA locks whether we are flying, driving, or walking (well, not walking).

If you use the plastic ties, you don't know who got into your stuff. If you use TSA locks, you know. Doesn't mean nothing will ever be taken, but it does let you know who got your undies.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

We've used luggage equipped with TSA locks for several years now. Works great, no problems. And we have occassionally had the TSA notice laying on top when we open the bags.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Thanks--I appreciate the replies. I feel more comfortable using the locks but didn't know if most folks used them now or not. I think I'll keep my stuff locked up--not that I have anything of real importance anyway but no need to tempt someone.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Definitely use the TSA locks - they work great, and also protect you if you're staying in a hotel. I put any valuables in the suitcase - instead of their safe. Been using them since they came out and it's been well worth having them plus easier than using the plastic gizmos.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old April 4th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Captain

Red face TSA Locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I think I'll keep my stuff locked up--not that I have anything of real importance anyway but no need to tempt someone.
There it is in a nutshell. Don't put anything valuable (passport, jewelry, money, etc.) in your checked bags. Keep it in your carry-on.

Many years ago when I was teaching sales classes overseas, my instruction materials (which I had checked as baggage) didn't show up until two days after the class started. Taught me a lesson - don't check anything you can't function without.
Old April 4th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Admiral

I've always used regular locks and have never had a problem doing so
Old April 4th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I haven't used a "lock" on my suitcase in 25 years and I have flown hundreds of thousand of miles in that time. I use the cable ties and leave it at that.

Locks do keep honest people honest and gives the owner a false sense of security. That's about it. A cable tie will serve the same purpose. Someone can open a soft sided suitcase in the same time or less than you can unlock it. A screwdriver, jackknife or ball point pen is all that's needed. A hard sided case offers a bit more protection but don't think it's secure.

Go ahead and use the TSA locks. It will keep your luggage from coming unzipped and keep the temptation down but you can stay with the cable ties and be just as secure.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me