Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Page by page.....

Once upon a time, we all went to travel shows, travel agencys, and sent away for cruise line brochures. I bet some of us used to have many for multiple lines, to peruse, read up on a port, and look at pricing. Getting the newest brochure with a great cover, sent our collective hearts a flutter

Long gone are those days, and I actually miss them..Flipping the pages, and seeing distant places, could pass the time away...

Do you miss having the actual brochure? Now in a hearbeat we can be all over the web, finding whatever we need, yet something can still be said for having that magic in your hand.....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Default Page by Page

I definitely miss the brochures. I just got an "atlas" from Princess Cruises. It does not contain all the information about the individual ships the way the brochures used to, so of course, there are no deck plans, either. I like having the data in front of me on paper, particularly the deck plans. I find the Princess deck plans for the Sapphire to be difficult to decipher on line.

No prices are in this "atlas," either. Clever them! They can just go on line and raise rates in a flash.

Judy
Old April 5th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Admiral

I so too miss the brochures. The only one I have received in a long time was from Cunard.

If they've stop them completely, I'll treasure the few that I have.

Todd
Old April 5th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Admiral

We still have the cruise brochures, and hubby pores over them constantly, but we do most of our research online now.
What I do miss, are the actual documents packages that used to come, always a thrill to see your name printed in the booklet, and what colour luggage tags we'd get!

donna
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Once upon a time, we all went to travel shows, travel agencys, and sent away for cruise line brochures. I bet some of us used to have many for multiple lines, to peruse, read up on a port, and look at pricing. Getting the newest brochure with a great cover, sent our collective hearts a flutter

Long gone are those days, and I actually miss them..Flipping the pages, and seeing distant places, could pass the time away...

Do you miss having the actual brochure? Now in a hearbeat we can be all over the web, finding whatever we need, yet something can still be said for having that magic in your hand.....
You are so correct on this one. Carole and I did a Med cruise from Barcelona in 2004, I requested and received a brochure for ship tours with details of each tour. I requested one this time for our October trip (same trip and line) and was told to look on line. One more reason to look for private tour companies. Mike
Old April 6th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I always had a pile of them, always the newest/latest for the best information. Yea, kind of miss those, just like the cruise docs of today?

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 6th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Familiar Face

I like to take the time to look at them when I have alot of free time .Although I don't have much free time that sure is a good way to relax and reflect.
Old April 6th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have to be truthful and say: No I really don't miss them. The "initial" joy of seeing them was soon overtaken by an onslaught of brochures and promotional material that soon became the equivalent of junk mail.

The last "brochure" that I enjoyed was when the QE2 was launched. It was an interesting catalog. However, most of the other materials were long on pictures but short on information. I also became a bit irritated when the VAST majority of promotional information I received in the mail was basically worthless and I could find better pricing and amenities. It now goes directly to the recycle bin.

I remember the old days of Renaissance Cruises. I loved Ren and the ships but their onslaught of marketing material was ridiculous. Even my mail person commented on how much stuff they sent out. It was almost daily. I think there is a large bare spot somewhere in Idaho where all the trees were harvested for that material.

I prefer to get the information I need and want rather than what the cruise line wants me to know. For this the Internet and Cruisemates are the best sources.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Right now I'd love to have a NCL brochure with the Epic schedule and deck plans since my computer freezes up when I try to go to their site !

I can absolutely do without the "specials" that come in the mail. The one time I tried to book one it was capacity controlled and all of the "specials" had been sold.

I remember a few years ago when either HAL or RCL (?) decided that their customer's didn't need deck plans (apparently, we were too ignorant to understand them!) and put out a brochure without them. It went over like a lead balloon !

I'm a "pack-rat" and I just threw away a "herd" of old brochures today .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Renaissance went overboard, pun intended, when their new smoking-children policy came out....aside form snail mails...they emailed us 10 times a day, I swear!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator