Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old April 8th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Admiral

Default The new Airbus A-380

Since there are always several threads on flying, I was wondering if anyone has yet to fly the new Airbus A-380 (the one that can hold up to a mind boggling 853 passengers), their opinion of the aircraft.

Besides their impression of the aircraft's interior comfort, and ambience, I was also wondering about your impression of touch downs.

Back in '09 at the airshow in Oshkosh, one had a very hard landing and then the other night one that was on, I believe, a flight to Australia blew some tires that then ignited all of which was caught on the plane's video. I understand there was no major damage and everyone deplaned without injury.

For you guys who are pilots our there (i.e. Ken), or even those with commercial or military cargo experience, I ask your imput on the following.

Some years ago I was on the flight deck of a C-5 Galaxy talking to an Air Force pilot and I guess it had been drummed into them to remember that when on the ground, their seat was about four storeys above that and to always be conscious of that fact, especially when landing. My question is, do any of you folks know if that could be an explanation for these hard landings? Admittedly, the one in Oshkosh was during a strong cross wind but it was akin' to watching an F-18 landing on the Nimitz!

Todd
Old April 8th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Admiral

You're absolutely correct about the "height" above the runway of the pilots seat on some of the really big aircraft flying the friendly skys now. If a pilot is used to the "flair height above runway" of a DC9, or 727, and he is suddenly flying a 747, then he may well fly the undercarriage directly into the runway before he flairs! Makes for a rude awakening! (I hate when that happens!)
That's one of the reasons there is so much training, before certifying in a new type aircraft.

Ken
"SKY"
Old April 8th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Admiral

I don't think any US based carrier has the A-380 in it's fleet yet ?? I once jump seated in a 747 and landed at SFO airport at night..quite an experience

at the downtown airport in New Orleans(used for private planes), there was a static exhibit of a WW2 B-29...all the war movies i have ever seen, they appear to be huge..up close and in person, they are "small" compared to today's widebodies

my favorite civilian aircraft Boeing's 777..my favorite fighter jet the F-15 (wonder why)
Old April 8th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Geez Venice, wonder what that might be?

When it comes to the WW II aircraft, one of my favorites was what they called "General McKinney's Commerce Destroyers," B-25's with six Ma Deuces in the nose and counting the upper and lower turrets, could bring to ear 10 forward firing 50 cal. heavy machine guns. Man would that combo ruin your whole day!

Todd
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Admiral

funny you should mention the B-25 bomber..when my son was at test pilot school at Edwards AFB in California, he got to fly the B-25 and he absolutely loved it, because he could hang his arm out the windowon take off..he loves the A-10 WartHog with the big gun also

will do some online research to see who is expecting delivery of the huge Airbus 380
Old April 8th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Admiral

Venice, a correction on my B-25 bit.

I just reread the post and realized I had dropped in the name of a good friend. The General's name was KENNEY, General George Kenney.

How I envy your son. For those who may not be aware, it's Venice's son's job to fly into harms way on our behalf and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there's not a hell of a lot of combat aircraft out there that he's not flown.

Todd
Old April 9th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Just had to jump in again, since we're talking WWII aircraft. As a Marine, my favorite just has to be the F4U Corsair. Yep, the bent wing fighter that Pappy Boyington and the Black Sheep flew in the South Pacific. I've never had the privilege of flying one of these beautiful birds,,,,but boy would I love to! As far as bombers go,,,,well, it's probably the B25 for me as well. Big enough to "git-r-done" but not so big that it can't be "maneuvered" a bit.

Ken
"SKY"
Old April 9th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Admiral

if it lifts off the ground, he can fly it..that's the fun part about being an operational test pilot..my favorite is the P-51 Mustang..when I win the lottery I will buy my son one
Old April 9th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Venice,

I love the sound of that Packard-Merlin engine in the P-51 on take off or on a fly-by. You can tell a P-51 is on it's way without even looking.

Back in the mid sixties, I knew a lot of aircraft just by their sound, my favorites being the F-100 Super Sabre, the F-4 Phantom, and the F-105 Thunderchief.

You might want to check this with your son, but I belief they're still using the British Martin/Baker Ejection seats. In fact, I think they used to be pretty much what all the countries used to (and still may) use.

Todd
Old April 9th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Admiral

I'll ask him on sunday..all i remember him saying is that the ejector seats are expensive as all out, but compared to the value of the lost plane, it's peanuts but priceless if it saves a fighter pilots life

Skymaster..if i can find the article about the cost overruns of the F-35 program I'll email it to you, since your beloved Marines will be using the F-35...my son says it's cool to "hover"
Old April 9th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Admiral

Thanks Venice. I'd love to see what you have on the F35. The "Harrier" is one of my favorites too. I'm told, and I have no doubt that it's true, that it takes a REAL pilot to fly one of those. I, of course, fly fixed wing, and have been known to twist a throttle or two on those contraptions that beat the air into submission (helicopters) , but I can't imagine the skill it takes to fly a Harrier, or perhaps the F35.....
By the way,,,don't tell anyone, but I have a P-51 front license tag on my car......

"SKY"
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Admiral

skymaster,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Thanks Venice. I'd love to see what you have on the F35. The "Harrier" is one of my favorites too. I'm told, and I have no doubt that it's true, that it takes a REAL pilot to fly one of those. I, of course, fly fixed wing, and have been known to twist a throttle or two on those contraptions that beat the air into submission (helicopters) , but I can't imagine the skill it takes to fly a Harrier, or perhaps the F35.....
By the way,,,don't tell anyone, but I have a P-51 front license tag on my car......

"SKY"
It obviously does not takes any more skill to fly the AV-8B Harrier than to fly any other attack plane. After all, the Marines fly 'em! ;-)

But seriously, by all accounts, the AV-8B Harrier is a plane with which you simply do not want to tangle in a dogfight, regardless of what else you might be flying. Its ability to stop in midair -- and I do mean that quite literally -- gives it a maneuverability that no other operational airplane can match. All the pilot has to do is vector thrust downward, popping upward a few meters to let the other plane pass underneath, then vector the thrust back to the rear to resume normal flight on the other plane's tail.

The F-35 is an enigma to me. It's supersonic, which is good in a fighter, but the F-35B (V/STOL) version has too little payload to be useful in an attack mode and the F-35C (carrier version) has much bigger wings than either of the land-based versions. When the dust settles, I suspect that the Marines will end up developing a new version of the Harrier (which, IIRC, will be the AV-8D because there was already an AV-8C) for the attack mission because the F-35B won't be up to the job.

Norm.