Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Admiral

Default Eglin Air Force Base 75th Anniversary Air show

For all you military and plane fanatics. Eglin AFB had there 75th Anniversary Air Show this week-end. Here are a few pix from the show and the USAF Thunderbirds. Great show. The link below says "login/Facebook" but I'm pretty sure you can still get to the photos. If not, let me know.
Login | Facebook

Need some cruise help?
Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Admiral

The C17 is a beautiful thing to behold!

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Admiral

The "Sun n Fun" EAA Fly In starts today here in Lakeland, Florida. It's billed as the "Oshkosh" of the South. It gets bigger, and better every year, and always has surprises that I'm not expecting.
I live on the North side of Lakeland, probably 12 miles (as the crow flies) from the airport, and I can stand in my back yard and marvel at the war birds, and vintage aircraft flying over, en route the airport. It's a wonderful time of year hear in Lakeland for anyone who loves vintage, as well as the latest and greatest aircraft.

"SKY"
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Ken,

How I envy your location, at least this week at any rate. The last time I saw a large collection of warbirds (including both the then "brandy new to the public" F-17 and all but I believe one flyable B-17 then in existence) was at Oshkosh in 1990. You could have even taken a twenty minute ride on the Concorde up to Canada and back.....................for a measly? four hundred bucks!!!!!! I wonder if its the same aircraft that now sits on the Intrepid in New York or maybe the one that went down in Paris. Needless to say, at those prices, I never got near that aircraft.

Todd
Old April 12th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Admiral

my son worked the event..if you stopped at the static F-15 you probably saw him
Old April 12th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Venice,

I very well could have talked with your son as we spent three or four days there. I talked with someone at just about every hardstand be it vintage warbirds or then front line USAF/Marine aircraft. We stayed in the college dorms there at the University in Oshkosh and there was no airconditoning (!!) and Wisconsin or not, it gets hot as hell in Oshkosh in July.

You might remember me remarking in a recent thread how I knew all of the sounds of all but the newest fighter fighter/bomber aircraft back in the sixties and seventies. We were just getting ready to leave the dorm one evening to go and get a bite to eat when I heard a roar fly over the campus. I said to my friend Skp with whom I attended the air show, "That sure ain't one of ours!" And we both ran outside. Turned out it was a MIG-21.

Anyhow, I do distinctly remember talking with the pilot of the F-17 because I believe Oshkosh '90 was the first time the public was allowed to approach the aircraft. I also remember talking with the Marine Harrier pilot because I was teasing him that he had to fly all the way from the West Coast and back. This was not to mention the flying he did at the airshow. Thing was, he had no one at the air show save himself that knew anything about a Harrier (which requires a lot of maintenance after relatively few flying hours). We were laughing that come hell or high water if anything went wrong he could always rely on the "Martin/Baker Connection." He said at least he could get fuel from the Air Force to get home. I have to admit that he looked kinda' sad out there by his lonesome whereas the USAF guys had tons of both enlisted and officer folks answering questions from the huge crowd surrounding the strange looking "newbie."

Todd